TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
10/17/12 12:03 p.m.

When shifting from park or neutral into drive, there's a slight time lag before the transmission ('85 Mustang AOD) engages, after that it works just fine.

Is this something that can be adjusted or maybe helped with a filter/fluid change, or is it something worse waiting to happen?

Any help? I'm lost ! ! ! !

Thanks,

T

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
10/18/12 8:32 a.m.

I think every automatic has some sort of lag before the selected gear engages. What length of delay are you reffering to?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/18/12 8:43 a.m.

Check the fluid level.

Also, does this always happen, or just after the vehicle has been sitting for a while?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
10/18/12 2:00 p.m.

The delay is probably to the count of one, maybe two and happens, or is most noticeable, when cold.

My old Chevy did it and it went away with a fluid and filter change. My Mustang did it as well and all it took was an external adjustment to the bands.

The AOD is completely new territory for me, I'm asking for any help that you can give.

Thanks,

T

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/18/12 2:11 p.m.

When cold? Either your fluid is low, or the torque converter is slowly draining back into the transmission pan and takes a brief moment to "fill up."

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
10/18/12 2:17 p.m.

Is that OK?

Can I just add fluid and continue on as usual, or should I swap the converter before something worse happens?

Wondering, without a clue.

Thanks,

T

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/18/12 2:49 p.m.

My dad had a chevy like that, on a -20* February morning, you could put it in drive, work the transfer case into 4hi, set the heater, and then it would drop into gear and buck forward. He got 290k out of that truck with the original trans before selling it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bA6Sz3gAdd3PQUZU8UkOwOUd6BRagpuJ6xV5Qg03Yfye8m1pvQCp6sLfQMpfXPoG