1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/15/13 10:00 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: If I can't put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back and close the tailgate, it's a toy..(I'll excuse compact trucks from that requirement...) Yes, I know that's what most people want....

Then mine's a toy. A massive, towing machine that works for a living - but a toy. I didn't want the size of the long wheelbase and I wanted enough room inside to go four-up on long trips, which we've done several times including one 4000 mile trip. So I have a 6'4" short bed on the full size cab. If I have to haul plywood (and I do haul stuff on a regular basis) then I use the tie-downs I keep in the truck or I just let it peek over the edge of the closed tailgate. That's a lot easier than dealing with the size of a crew cab LWB model.

Don't judge other people's needs by your own.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/16/13 4:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: If I can't put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back and close the tailgate, it's a toy..(I'll excuse compact trucks from that requirement...) Yes, I know that's what most people want....
Then mine's a toy. A massive, towing machine that works for a living - but a toy. I didn't want the size of the long wheelbase and I wanted enough room inside to go four-up on long trips, which we've done several times including one 4000 mile trip. So I have a 6'4" short bed on the full size cab. If I have to haul plywood (and I do haul stuff on a regular basis) then I use the tie-downs I keep in the truck or I just let it peek over the edge of the closed tailgate. That's a lot easier than dealing with the size of a crew cab LWB model. Don't judge other people's needs by your own.

you use your toy as a truck, but my truck will fit a lot more scrap metal in the back than your toy and will never need to have more than one other person in the cab with me..

also, a snowmobile fits in the back of mine with the tailgate up..

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/16/13 7:52 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
fastEddie wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Tie some horns too the hood and its a bull.
Don't forget these.
diamond plate....nice

Wow, they DO make them in carbon fiber.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/16/13 8:35 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Ford trucks continued to dominate in 2012 – with F-Series America’s best-selling pickup for the 36th straight year and 31 consecutive years as America’s best-selling vehicle. Overall, 645,316 F-Series were sold, a 10 percent increase versus 2011. Total Ford brand truck sales – including Transit Connect and E-Series – were up 2 percent for the year at 829,477 vehicles sold.

that includes F150-F850

Which I always find it funny when they do chevy or dodge bashing commercials because they say they outsell the silverado or the ram.

novaderrik wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Then mine's a toy. A massive, towing machine that works for a living - but a toy. I didn't want the size of the long wheelbase and I wanted enough room inside to go four-up on long trips, which we've done several times including one 4000 mile trip. So I have a 6'4" short bed on the full size cab. If I have to haul plywood (and I do haul stuff on a regular basis) then I use the tie-downs I keep in the truck or I just let it peek over the edge of the closed tailgate. That's a lot easier than dealing with the size of a crew cab LWB model. Don't judge other people's needs by your own.
you use your toy as a truck, but my truck will fit a lot more scrap metal in the back than your toy and will never need to have more than one other person in the cab with me.. also, a snowmobile fits in the back of mine with the tailgate up..

I could fit a 440 and possibly a 600 (but not at the same time) in the back of my k5 suburban with the tailgate up if I fold the rear seats down

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/16/13 8:50 a.m.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
1/16/13 10:03 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: Worse, the cargo box keeps getting higher and taller sides so it's all but impossible to load from the side or without a step ladder. Heck I think the F150 even comes with a fold out ladder in the tail gate.

I don't mind a deeper cargo box, more capacity, but yes, the floor height is getting too high.

6' long boxes aren't too bad, it's the ones that are even shorter that really urk me.

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/16/13 3:25 p.m.

I am not a fan of the 5 1/4' boxes. either.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0cPJRqetlbZsNlVJgxjAl2Ze1LRq1RIXbd9Anca3W6x79zPYH2mmZ261240sHrYP