Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/15/12 3:45 p.m.

Why hasn't this thing been all over the news? 5-passenger MPV Hybrid that gets 47MPG and a plug-in electric/hybrid "Energi" model that looks like some really good tech.

Local dealer supposedly has a "regular" hybrid, but I'd like a shot at that giant slot car called the "Energi" version.

Anybody seen one? Driven one?

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
8/15/12 3:50 p.m.

I have not seen one yet but I was looking at the website last week. Looks like it is right in the prius wheel house.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/15/12 3:58 p.m.

Made to compete with the Prius v, so a little bigger than the normal Prius. Similarly priced as well.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/15/12 3:58 p.m.

Why does it need three grilles?

Rxbalt
Rxbalt New Reader
8/15/12 4:05 p.m.

"Yo dawg, I heard you liked grilles....."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/15/12 4:32 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Made to compete with the Prius v, so a little bigger than the normal Prius. Similarly priced as well.

I am pretty sure the C-Max was around before the Prius V.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/15/12 4:39 p.m.

Not in America. And the Hybrid drivetrains are new as well.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
8/15/12 4:59 p.m.

It's not a Toyota.... Only Toyota can market hybrids.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/15/12 5:02 p.m.

It's more Mazda5 than Prius V...

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/15/12 5:02 p.m.

got rid of the sliding doors. Boo.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
8/16/12 12:10 p.m.

Yeah boo on no sliding doors or 7 passenger seating

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/16/12 12:15 p.m.

Specs look good but man that's an ugly bastard.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/16/12 12:58 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Yeah boo on no sliding doors or 7 passenger seating

7 passenger seating in a car that's not much bigger than a focus....ok.....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/16/12 1:00 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Made to compete with the Prius v, so a little bigger than the normal Prius. Similarly priced as well.

Yup, looks like it. I hope that market grows a bit. Seems like the all-around car that many families need.

Any word on towing capacity? 2000lbs would be nice.

failboat
failboat Dork
8/16/12 1:28 p.m.

Haha. Towing Capacity.

Saw it at the auto show early in the year.

It seemed smaller than the Mazda 5. But I did not look THAT close at it like I did with the 5.

I was more interested in it when they had the sliding doors and the non-hybrid powertrain available, back when it was rumored to come to the US. And then it wasnt. And now it is again and its just smaller than I expected it to be. I wouldnt be in the market for it but my Dad has been keeping an eye on it for Mom maybe in a few years.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/16/12 1:40 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Yup, looks like it. I hope that market grows a bit. Seems like the all-around car that many families need. Any word on towing capacity? 2000lbs would be nice.

Unlikely to be able to tow much at all.

It's small than the Mazda5, only seats 5. Think of it as hybrid wagon, not mini-minivan.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/16/12 1:55 p.m.

A 2250lb Saturn is rated to tow 1000lbs
A 3000lb Subaru is rated to tow 2000lbs

It wouldn't take much. Just a tow mode that runs the gas engine harder. That chassis is capable of it for sure.

It's one thing that has always bothered me about the Prius.

daliaC
daliaC
8/28/12 5:44 a.m.

Incredible! Thanks for the post. No doubt, it has an amazing features. In fact, the Ford C-Max has been available in Europe since 2003. The Prius-fighting hybrid, built on a Focus platform, is ultimately arriving at United States shores. And it is said that reviews have been generally good. Maybe the reason why Ford C-Max comes to America is to challenge Prius.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCREzWXdMNefgEKAOgsNPlgJwIkcrAHQeQ8YHg17MCLOgnMbvaJZFrf8xf1bxBpW