Canute
Canute Reader
12/20/11 5:38 a.m.

So I have this project where I'm planning on using an Explorer accessory drive on my 5.0. There are some bracket kits that completely eliminate the use of the smog pump and the AC pulley for Mustangs, but I was wondering what I could use for the Explorer accessory drive. I am not planning on using power steering or AC on this car. I'm switching to EDIS and Megasquirt on the car, so I don't know if I could still use the Mustang accessory drive even if I wanted to. March Performance has some pretty trick looking stuff (Like this) but I'm looking for a cheap solution. I wonder if I could just use the passenger side of the drive and get a counter clock wise water pump impeller. Open to ideas .

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/20/11 1:15 p.m.

What size alternator do you want to run?

You can mix and match 302 and 351 parts until you find a combination you like.

My 68' 289 had a v-belt with the alternator on the passenger side like you are looking for. This had a 60 amp alternator, but could likely be upgraded to a 100 amp GM style alternator.

Now I am running a crown vic accessory drive with ps and alt on the drivers side with a serpentine belt. This setup has a 130 amp alternator from a mid-90s mustang.

Canute
Canute Reader
12/20/11 4:33 p.m.

Factory Explorer or Mustang should be fine. It's a racecar project. Might have to run headlights and defroster, but that's about it.

pres589
pres589 Dork
12/20/11 7:23 p.m.

What are you thinking for EDIS bits, straight up Explorer parts or some other setup?

Canute
Canute Reader
12/20/11 7:51 p.m.

Explorer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ke4jon67aQzeFXt2F63yl9M9dMoaQ0csOAvfontuMPjtpRvmDSic4ThkEZ5CemEA