LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
11/21/14 2:14 p.m.

Monday night, my '94 Miata was T-boned by a Chevy pickup. After a couple days of aches & pains, I got a rental: a 2015 Fiesta SE with 7k miles. Still had the new-car smell. I was happy.

This morning, I got in the Fiesta, started it, then got out to get the ice scraper from my 'illin Cherokee. I quickly scraped the ice off, pulled door handle and discovered that the little Fiesta had locked all 5 doors with the engine running and no one in the car.

I don't drive a lot of cars built this decade, so maybe I'm out of touch... But why do the shiny happy people at Ford make the Fiesta so excited about locking itself while the engine is running but no people are in it?

slowride
slowride Reader
11/21/14 2:19 p.m.

It's not just Ford. I leave my door open while I scrape for exactly this reason.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
11/21/14 2:24 p.m.
slowride wrote: It's not just Ford. I leave my door open while I scrape for exactly this reason.

Wtf... Glad I own a Honda.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/21/14 2:26 p.m.

that's odd. Never happened in my Fiesta.

the only time that's happened was when I was driving an exec's car to a different building. Thankfully, someone had a spare set of keys.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
11/21/14 2:26 p.m.

Yeah. I've had this happen to me too; 2006 RX-8. It's really stupid. Modern "safety and convenience"...

Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
11/21/14 2:28 p.m.

Yeah this may just be a new car thing. I always leave the window rolled down enough that I could reach inside and unlock if need be. It sucks to have an open window when its 5 degrees out, but it is what it is.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/21/14 3:25 p.m.

Only had that happen 1 time.....and that was the damn saturn.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/21/14 3:43 p.m.

Both the ms3 and the mini refuse to lock themselves while running unless you do it yourself, and the rest of my cars are manual locks. I think. Yeah. They are.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
11/21/14 3:50 p.m.

Wow! That's actually kinda funny...because it didn't happen to me. Only newish car we have is the wife's Highlander. It will not lock you out. You cannot even lock it if there is a key fob in the car, unless you use your own fob, so it knows you can get back in.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
11/21/14 4:00 p.m.

Thats one of my biggest complaints about the trucks. Doors lock as soon as you start to move. Passenger side doesn't even have a key slot. Every time I go out to my truck and try and get something stored on the passenger side, the friggin door is locked. The other complaint is those window scrapers. Every Ford truck I've had in the last 15 years has had both door windows all scratched up because the scrapers grab ahold and don't let go of sand particles. Every time you put the windows up and down, you hear fingernails on chalkboard, or in this case sand scratching vertical stripes in the windows.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
11/21/14 4:05 p.m.

Much of that behavior is programmable ... assuming that you have Factory box and training to do it, else the hacker skills.
I have a leased Honda Civic appliance for my wife, and I am always cursing about how it 'helps' me by locking the doors.
STOP! I DONT WANT YOUR F$#@%*&G HELP!!

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/21/14 5:42 p.m.

There are a couple of settings that can be programed for the locks on the Fiesta. Also, there is a switch on the dash.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/21/14 5:55 p.m.

I am starting to think that the (real) usefulness of car application programers to society is starting to reach the same level of usefulness as lawyers.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/21/14 6:09 p.m.

My old GMC wouldn't let you lock the doors from the inside with the engine running, you could only do it with the key fob.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/21/14 6:11 p.m.

as much as I hate my 2006 Malibu.. I do like that you can turn all the settings off and on from the info centre. This includes if and when the locks will automatically engage.

At the moment I have them turned to "never"

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Dork
11/21/14 7:56 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I am starting to think that the (real) usefulness of car application programers to society is starting to reach the same level of usefulness as lawyers.

This!

It's got so bad that when I put my kid in the car seat (wife's car) I make sure I don't close his door until I have another door opened, or I roll the windows down, have the keys in my hand, or all three!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UaGnxvcfvlQHQV7erR10FEr1qg7OvSoW0PIPAN5ROHupOdP8KMHQ8BBplcdYyYC2