RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/3/15 8:40 a.m.

I found an industrial 1.3 liter Ford engine for pretty damn cheap. What's the value for the Kent block/head/spinning bits to any of the racing folks? Is the 1.3 liter able to be bored out? Is it different than the 711M block?

Worthless? Full of Worth? Worth the $150 they guys asking for it and the floor space in my shed? I don't actually have a use for it, but it intrigues me.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
6/3/15 8:54 a.m.

There may be some value to a vintage racer using the smaller Kent engine but I don't know of any. Also I don't know if it can be bored out. The 1.6L block (711M) can be iffy in some cases when going over .060. Some can be bored to .090 for a 1.7L, but not all due to core shift, but I just don't know about the 1.3L?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/3/15 9:01 a.m.

I did some googling and it looks like the 1.3 might just be a shorter stroke.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/3/15 11:15 a.m.

Most of those were used in skid steers etc.

AMECs snow cat has one.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
6/3/15 11:32 a.m.

My, admittedly limited, experience is that they are orphaned bastards and very hard to get service parts for. A client of mine had one in a floor scrubber. The thing overheated and cracked the head. We could not find a suitable replacement, and a regular Kent head wouldn't work. It might have been able to bolt on, but it was incompatible with the rest of the hardware it needed to work with.

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
6/3/15 1:07 p.m.
RossD wrote: I did some googling and it looks like the 1.3 might just be a shorter stroke.

I thought ALL Kents had the same bore, it was just the stroke that changed.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different old Ford engine.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
6/3/15 4:16 p.m.

Further checking tells me that the bores are the same, 1.3 and the 1.6 blocks. The difference is the deck height. The 1.6 being taller.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
6/3/15 5:13 p.m.

Fwiw new bare kent blocks for the vintage ford crowd are available for about $2000.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n6aD9HOMmAgef2ilOSitgLVMVjeOycSgPFYMZouSG7QvBvBcX7JJCZBxyMnLUwKI