1 2 3 4
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/21 9:46 a.m.

yeah, color me interested in the hybrid. but Im not going to look for more info. Im not. Really. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/21 9:56 a.m.

I want two doors and a longer bed. But nobody seems to be interested in what I want. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/8/21 9:57 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

Starting under $20k?  Looks like the site is currently overloaded, but at that price, I expect it'll be a hit.  I'm very interested.  And not a bad looker from the pic above.

And the ecoboost only adds another $1100?  Color me surprised.

-Rob

Looks like you're right the ecoboost only adds $1k or so. The AWD adds 3k on top of the ecoboost though. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork

I'm only interested if it can be slammed. The mini trucks will rise again!

Snrub
Snrub Dork

The 2.0l version weighs around  3550lbs! That is impressive. It sounds like it gets good fuel economy too. I suspect this is the truck 95% of truck buyers should actually consider.

I'm surprised they wouldn't design the tow rating to 5000lbs. 2000/4000lbs is a little low for some common use cases. The old ranger 4.0l could tow up to 7000lbs.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I'm only interested if it can be slammed. The mini trucks will rise again!

give it about .7 seconds and you'll see a slammed one. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 9:59 a.m.

I had to dig a little and read some fine print but found that the 2.5L Hybrid MPG is targeted for:

40 city, 33 hyw and 37 combined.  That's a big drop for the hyw portion but these numbers might be exagerated too.  

The current Bronco Sport with 4wd and the 2.0L ecoboost is rated at:

21 city, 23 hyw and 25 combined.  Those are some weak numbers which makes the hybrid look great.

The base engine in the Bronco Sport is a 1.5L with mpg of:

25 city, 28 hyw and 26 combined.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
6/8/21 10:00 a.m.

They can't make it a two door with a longer bed, or I suspect it would be the weapon of choice for lots of people instead of bigger trucks.

As it is, I think it's going to eat into those sales quite a bit.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
6/8/21 10:03 a.m.

I like it quite a bit. I'd like an option that keeps the hybrid and beefs towing up to 3k so I could pull the Miata but that's not hugely important. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
6/8/21 10:03 a.m.
Snrub said:

I'm surprised they wouldn't design the tow rating to 5000lbs. 2000/4000lbs is a little low for some common use cases. The old ranger 4.0l could tow up to 7000lbs.

People will just overload them ,  it does not take too much to get to the 2000 pounds ,  plus hanging it off the tail like the plywood  changes the balance , 

But its still a nice change from the Mega Trucks  that the big 3 are selling .

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 10:04 a.m.

They probably can't make it a two door with a longer bed because it shares a unibody platform with the Focus, Escape, Kuga and Bronco Sport (all 4 doors).

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/21 10:09 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

They can't make it a two door with a longer bed, or I suspect it would be the weapon of choice for lots of people instead of bigger trucks.

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/8/21 10:14 a.m.

This is ticking a lot of boxes for me.  Yeah, it's a unibody and yeah, it's FWD, but a 4K towing capacity would allow me to tow home small cars or even something bigger if I can flat tow.  I can tow a 6x12 trailer, I can do a home improvement or junkyard run and toss stuff in the bed (both fairly common).  Hopefully, the rear bed height isn't 6 feet tall like they seem to be on a modern truck. 

Add that it's a four door truck, but not impossible to park in the tiny Austin parking lots, get's decent mileage and looks to be big and comfortable enough to be a great DD. 

While I'd love to convince myself that I need an F250, I'm old enough now to know that I won't be hauling race cars or race trailers anymore. 

I've been kinda looking at buying a new car next year and because I'm cheap, was looking under $25k, so the entry price is probably what's catching my eye the most.

I'm thinking mid/late next year when the initial fervor has died off and dealers are trying to discount the low end XL package equipped will be my sweet spot.

-Rob

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/8/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

No. That's not what he asked, and though tiny is relative it's still almost 17' long.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
6/8/21 10:25 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Gross.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 10:32 a.m.

I played with the build your own and I see that Ford took a page from the Mazda playbook...the base model comes only in white, black, 4 grays and a blue.  
$21,500 is full price for a no options model and 37 mpg combined.

$21,600 is the full price for a stripped EcoSport, that ugly, small Ford SUV and 28 mpg combined

$28,900 is the full price for a striped Bronco Sport

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
6/8/21 10:37 a.m.

If we didn't already have my wife's Ridgeline, we would probably be buying one. My Dad just sold his 2002 Ranger and I think this truck would be perfect for his needs. 

I am impressed to see the hybrid and mileage numbers. Makes it hard to justify the Santa Cruz which I saw an article saying it is only going to get 23 mpg combined.

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/8/21 10:38 a.m.
Snrub said:

The 2.0l version weighs around  3550lbs! That is impressive. It sounds like it gets good fuel economy too. I suspect this is the truck 95% of truck buyers should actually consider.

Agreed.  It's interesting, but I need to tow a car on an open trailer and a 19' ski boat a few times a year.  That rules it out for me.  I mean, my Sienna is rated at 3500lb towing capacity.  

I figure an honest 6000lb minimum towing capacity, loaded, to tow anything of significance.

This is the vehicle most suburb-dwellers really need and it's cheap.  I still think it will sell well, even if it won't do some truck stuff. 

I suspect this design parameter was thoughtfully set so as to avoid cannibalizing Ranger and F-150 sales.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 10:40 a.m.

Add an yellow led trouble roof mounted strobe light to this white Maverick and this look could be very popular with municipalities and fleets.  Things like the "call before you dig" type services and meter reading, etc.   

wae
wae UberDork
6/8/21 10:45 a.m.

Upon further reflection, I don't think this is really a "truck" to do truckstuff with.  This is actually a Ute for the driver that doesn't want to deal with a truck and doesn't really need to do heavy truckstuff.  You want to throw the cooler and a pop-up in the back to go to soccer games or pick up a couple bags of mulch without getting your trunk area wet and stained.  Maybe go get gas for the mower without having the SUV stink of gas for a week.  Maybe it needs a different category name, but Maverick : SUV :: ute : car.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/21 10:52 a.m.

Its a modern ranchero. Which will appeal to the market that the original ranchero, el camino, etc did. 

Its the truck i would actually use 90% of the time i need a truck. 

And honestly could replace my daily....

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/8/21 10:54 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Brett_Murphy said:

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

Have you looked at the supercab Rangers? Sounds like thats your sweet spot. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/8/21 10:55 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I was just going to say that.  This is going to be the next fleet vehicle for construction companies and utilities and municipalities

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/8/21 10:58 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

No. That's not what he asked, and though tiny is relative it's still almost 17' long.

At just under 200" long, this crew cab Maverick is 3" shorter than a 2005 Ranger extended cab/short bed.

The only comparison that I can think of in the last 30 years (at least in the US market) might be the Subaru Baja, which was 7" shorter in length, but had a bed that was over a foot shorter in length than this Maverick. How small do you want it to be?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/8/21 10:59 a.m.

My current truck is very long in the tooth and needs $900 in repairs and is at close to 400K miles on it. 

The thing is that 99 percent of the time this little truck would do everything I need.  And with it being 4 doors it may actually be more useful than my current truck.  Going to have to seriously think about this one.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NtQLlytbiq3lLIgMTJJC0arPS0sikuBwJwSdyWrl4pPv6heoRFX5DKSOa8hBoBqI