ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/21/21 3:07 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:
Apexcarver said:

have to go into DC frequently

How are you feeling about the length?  This is probably the biggest downside for myself.  I parallel park quite often, and if my car was 3 feet longer things would be significantly more difficult.

I am always amazed about how guys can stuff a huge dually into a compact parking place in Downtown Dallas. Of course you don't want to be the one they parked next to. frown

I'm amazed guys with full size trucks can park anywhere but Costco where the spots are 'merican sized.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/3/21 10:28 a.m.

It sounds like there is more demand for the hybrid than Ford planned for.  They won't be available for sale in showrooms during the initial release due to the preorder demand being so high.  So if you want to buy off the lot in the first few months, it'll be the Ecoboost only.

dannyp84
dannyp84 New Reader
8/3/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I'm reluctant to preorder something I've never driven, but if the 4k towing capacity is legit, that's plenty for an open trailer and my RX-7, and the truck is still cheaper and easier to park/store than a full size truck that's a few years old. I wonder if the turbo motor will have any trouble towing through the mountains/hills around here..

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/3/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Since they'll have the Ecoboost on lots first, I'd just wait until you can test drive one.  I don't think I'd be willing to preorder a car either, just too expensive of a purchase.  

Erich
Erich UberDork
8/3/21 1:21 p.m.

I just looked at the Maverick for a friend whose catalytic converter was stolen, totaling her CR-V. It seemed like the perfect fit for her family of 4 until I looked at the rear seat room. It looks identical to a Bronco Sport, and you absolutely can't fit a rear-facing seat in that behind a grown adult. 

Also made me notice you can't seem to get a minivan for under $30k anymore. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/3/21 1:48 p.m.

Re: Minivan...

Kia went upscale redesign, Toyota went further upscale with redesign, Chrysler is trying to go even further upscale with its old (since 2017) Pacifica.   However, to try to stay "entry level" the Chrysler also offers a Voyager model which is a decontented Pacifica.

Voyager

I rear recently that there is a real shortage of minivans for the used market.  As travel ended when covid hit, the rental companies offloaded the last of the Grand Caravans.  I know, I bought one!!!  Now the rental car companies are keeping the minivans in the fleet longer.  I see a lot retals sold directly by the companies have 60k+ and are asking $22k.  

Here's a 2019 Grand Caravan w/ 63.7k asking $21.5k.  
In the covid sell-off, I bought the same '19 w/42k for $15.1k

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/21 3:02 p.m.
Erich said:

I just looked at the Maverick for a friend whose catalytic converter was stolen, totaling her CR-V. It seemed like the perfect fit for her family of 4 until I looked at the rear seat room. It looks identical to a Bronco Sport, and you absolutely can't fit a rear-facing seat in that behind a grown adult. 

Why can't you fit one in a Bronco Sport?  It seems much bigger than the cars I've had a rear facing seat in that work just fine.

Someone on the forums confirmed they fit ok...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/21 3:22 p.m.

re-rear facing car seats in the back:

They don't fit well in ANY car realistically. A rear-facing car seat is huge, and in the wrong dimension. So, unless you've got a minivan or a full size full cab truck or equivalent SUV, expect rear facing seats to be tight. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/3/21 3:26 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I didn't really realize this either until a buddy called me and complained since he is looking for a minivan. Holy moly!

BTW - most of them make perfect #vanlife vehicles with no mods needed. AC power in the back, entertainment systems, enough room for a bed with no rear seats, storage and cubbies out the wazoo, etc. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/21 3:44 p.m.
Erich said:

I call this the 'Freddy syndrome'  Freddy being my 88 year old father in law, who whenever he complains about how expensive things are these days I quietly pull up an inflation calculator and quietly check and sure enough, 99 times out 100 whatever ridiculously overpriced rip off he's complaining about is actually cheaper now than back in the day.  Of course I'm not a big enough ass to tell him, I just agree with him and move on.  We've been over this 100 times before and Keith loves this one.  Inflation adjusted the Miata is cheaper now than back in 1990.  For sh!ts and giggles I just checked and $30K in 2021 $$'s was around $14,500 in 1990.  A quick check shows a Chrysler Caravan was approx $15.5-19K, so yet again the price has fallen fpr a bigger, better, safer, faster and a lot of other 'er's' for the same money!

Erich
Erich UberDork
8/3/21 6:03 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I generally go by the car seat checker blogs, which say that a convertible rear facing seat in a Bronco Sport is a no-go, and infant seats are iffy. 

Perhaps it depends on which seats you get?

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-car-seats-fit-in-a-2021-ford-bronco-sport-434653/

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/3/21 6:33 p.m.

The car seats you have matter.  Whenever test driving cars in the little munchkin years always bring a seat and try to install it.  Learned this the hard way.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

Got it.  Those would probably also tell me they wouldn't fit in just about every car I have had car seats in.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
8/3/21 6:53 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
Erich said:

I call this the 'Freddy syndrome'  Freddy being my 88 year old father in law, who whenever he complains about how expensive things are these days I quietly pull up an inflation calculator and quietly check and sure enough, 99 times out 100 whatever ridiculously overpriced rip off he's complaining about is actually cheaper now than back in the day.  Of course I'm not a big enough ass to tell him, I just agree with him and move on.  We've been over this 100 times before and Keith loves this one.  Inflation adjusted the Miata is cheaper now than back in 1990.  For sh!ts and giggles I just checked and $30K in 2021 $$'s was around $14,500 in 1990.  A quick check shows a Chrysler Caravan was approx $15.5-19K, so yet again the price has fallen fpr a bigger, better, safer, faster and a lot of other 'er's' for the same money!

GOSHDAMMIT! Get out of here with your LOGIC!!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/3/21 7:36 p.m.

Anyone else cross shopping/watching the Hyundai Santa Cruz?

I think the Ecoboost maverick may wind up being a better deal than the turbo Santa Cruz, but I'm probably going to test drive both before making a decision.

1000lbs more towing, flappy paddles on a dual clutch trans. It seems more car like than truck like on the interior...  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/3/21 8:15 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
Erich said:

I can break your Freddy System:

Competitive motocross bikes. $1700 35 years ago, $10,000 today. Partially due to favorable exchange rates in the '80s and partially due to the switch to four strokes.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/3/21 8:29 p.m.

One thing that's important to me now that I'm driving my 1st Gen Colorado more since I'm working at the farm often these days is the damn pitch and roll associated with most trucks due to tons of travel and skinny swaybars (if they have a rear one at all). "Truck people" a lot of times don't even notice this stuff but we Motorsports sure people do. Stuff sliding all over the inside of the truck, needing to creep through minor corners, bad braking. I'm hoping with the minor payload and towing capacity on the Maverick it is minimized except maybe on some "off-road" model I won't buy.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/3/21 10:39 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to dannyp84 :

Since they'll have the Ecoboost on lots first, I'd just wait until you can test drive one.  I don't think I'd be willing to preorder a car either, just too expensive of a purchase.  

That's where I'm at too and came to the same conclusion.

The hybrid sounds cool but I mostly drive highway miles, live in a place where AWD is great and towing 4k is a nice extra to have.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/17/21 8:42 a.m.

Supposedly, some window stickers have leaked with MPG numbers of the Ecoboost models:

AWD with tow package:  22 city, 29 highway, 25 combined.

FWD:  23 city, 30 highway, 26 combined.

I'm curious to see how these correlate to the real world.  I used to be able beat EPA numbers fairly easily, but the last new Ford I bought (2004 F150 Heritage), it was a struggle to match the numbers.  That was 17 years ago, though.  

Edit:  Browsed Bronco Sports on Fuelly, since it's a similar platform.  Based on the numbers I see there compared with the Bronco Sport's EPA numbers, I think I'd expect most people to get 1-2 MPG worse than Ford's ratings.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/17/21 8:56 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

One thing that's important to me now that I'm driving my 1st Gen Colorado more since I'm working at the farm often these days is the damn pitch and roll associated with most trucks due to tons of travel and skinny swaybars (if they have a rear one at all). "Truck people" a lot of times don't even notice this stuff but we Motorsports sure people do. Stuff sliding all over the inside of the truck, needing to creep through minor corners, bad braking. I'm hoping with the minor payload and towing capacity on the Maverick it is minimized except maybe on some "off-road" model I won't buy.

Distance from Center of Gravity to Roll Center is a big factor here.  Even with really soft springs/bars, the roll is a lot less pronounced when these are close together.  Physics is just working against you in a tall vehicle.  I'm sure the Maverick will not be as bad as full size trucks, but its going to be a ton worse than most cars unfortunately.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/17/21 10:14 a.m.

Re: Freddy,

I just saw a headline claiming the 2022 maverick is cheaper than the 1908 model T adjusted for inflation.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/17/21 11:05 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Supposedly, some window stickers have leaked with MPG numbers of the Ecoboost models:

I'm curious to see how these correlate to the real world.  I used to be able beat EPA numbers fairly easily, but the last new Ford I bought (2004 F150 Heritage), it was a struggle to match the numbers.  That was 17 years ago, though.  

Edit:  Browsed Bronco Sports on Fuelly, since it's a similar platform.  Based on the numbers I see there compared with the Bronco Sport's EPA numbers, I think I'd expect most people to get 1-2 MPG worse than Ford's ratings.

With how much faster people drive today as compared to 20 years ago it's tougher to make EPA highway numbers in trucks.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/17/21 11:08 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

My 00 explorer is rated at I think 17mpg highway and I get 22 out of it. The wife's 13 golf gets pretty much exactly what they rated it at.

29 highway MPG isn't anything to sneeze at for something that can tow and do truck stuff. I'm still interested in it although I'm gonna test drive it first still

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/17/21 11:24 a.m.

I've been looking at Ridgelines to DD instead of my 350.  So this new release catches my interest.  I'm trying to avoid trucks that you need a ladder to get into.

I'm thinking AWD 2.0 eco-boost will probably get close to $40K   sad

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/17/21 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

This site says that fwd compared to fwd, the Maverick will sticker price cheaper than a Honda Civic

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
anVO4K6YWBAgvshYHRKYVkkbjioFwI29W9v4dyPqWbrHdm2rx4q1uWn44AnHjbWB