MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
10/8/21 6:16 a.m.

i mean wait till they get into what forscan can change and adding cruise might be as simple as a checkbox.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/8/21 6:30 a.m.

I'm sorry, ForScan gets me every time, bwhahaha.

Also eagerly waiting to see how cramped it'll be with 2 forward facing child seats in the back of one of these.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
10/8/21 6:35 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Wouldn't there need to be buttons somewhere for the cruise?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
10/8/21 8:27 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

$8k?? Might better off with a Spotify subscription played through AA/Carplay. The radio options in Spotify are pretty good.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/21 8:37 a.m.

I noticed one thing about the trim levels, you used to have to step up to get all of the electronic goodies like Nav and such. Even the base model has Apple Car Play/Android Auto, and that's all I use anyway. I dig the idea of base trim + EcoBoost, AWD and Tow package, you can actually outfit it that way for $25K. That would allow me to deal with my house rennovation, do daily trips, tow the boat and a dedicated track car. Hmmmm, anyone got a CRX with a cage and an aluminum trailer?  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/8/21 9:30 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I noticed one thing about the trim levels, you used to have to step up to get all of the electronic goodies like Nav and such. Even the base model has Apple Car Play/Android Auto, and that's all I use anyway. I dig the idea of base trim + EcoBoost, AWD and Tow package, you can actually outfit it that way for $25K. That would allow me to deal with my house rennovation, do daily trips, tow the boat and a dedicated track car. Hmmmm, anyone got a CRX with a cage and an aluminum trailer?  

I'm totally ok with the base model being very base. My 00 explorer has A/C as it's only option and I like that. No cruise( although I do miss it at times), vinyl seats, and roll up windows. It's glorious

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/8/21 11:09 a.m.

Guess I missed the memo on them running out of imagination.  Aren't the ad  men supposed to be able to come up with new names for models instead of recycling them from a 1970s model they obviously think everyone has forgotten about?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/8/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Been to the movies lately?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
10/8/21 11:27 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

It costs an enormous amount of money to research and trademark a new car name. That's why we have so many vehicles that are just numbers and the old names the companies already own get used over and over again. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/8/21 11:35 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to wspohn :

It costs an enormous amount of money to research and trademark a new car name. That's why we have so many vehicles that are just numbers and the old names the companies already own get used over and over again. 

The car company has to legally defend the name too.  This means sending out cease and desist letters for people using the name on similar products.  Ford has been defending the name Maverick for all the years since the 70's.  It wont cost a lot more to just keep defending the name.  

I'm somewhat surprised the this truck didn't become a Bronco Brand item.  It's derived from the Bronco Sport.  Of course, have to be careful to not water down the Bronco's reputation of capability too far.  

Ranger is a long standing Ford name too.  It was a trim level of the full size truck for a long time in the 70's.  It later became the primary name for the small truck.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/8/21 11:54 a.m.
stanger_mussle said:
Apexcarver said:

I await news of lowering kits, especially for the 2.0 awd. Hopefully it wouldn't muck up the towing.

The fact that it has an integrated trailer brake controller (with Max tow package) is compelling too.  I have been meaning to add brakes to my 3k lb trailer after a few panic stops I've had.

And here I was wondering when a small 1" spacer lift would be available. I think a small lift to fit a little bigger tires would look pretty good. 

Now you have me thinking about lowering the AWD one I want. It would be cool to see the lowered mini truck movement come back.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/8/21 12:20 p.m.

^thats what I want, but 2wd.

Looks like you could easily downsize the tire a few inches and still have tons of sidewall.  Plus a 2" drop and that could be pretty nice.  But probably ruin the comfort lol.

This would be by far the tallest vehicle I've ever considered owning.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
10/8/21 6:23 p.m.

The 3rd gen focus withheld cruise control from the base model for the first year only, iirc. Our 2012 came without cruise, but I was able to add it for under $100. I bought a used steering wheel with the buttons and the harness between the clock spring and steering wheel buttons, and was able t turn on the cruise control using ForScan and Focccus. I imagine the wiring is mostly in place, and "they" will quickly figure out how to modify the "as-built" file to enable cruise with minimal cost or expense. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
10/8/21 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Ok, now you have me contemplating if I could lower an FX4 package. I want the package because it includes everything the 4k tow package has plus unique wheels and tires, different drive modes, skid plates and an upgraded screen between the tach and speedometer. I guess I could take the FX4 decals off lol.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
10/8/21 6:46 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

^thats what I want, but 2wd.

Looks like you could easily downsize the tire a few inches and still have tons of sidewall.  Plus a 2" drop and that could be pretty nice.  But probably ruin the comfort lol.

This would be by far the tallest vehicle I've ever considered owning.

The stock Mavericks are listed at 68.7 inches tall. I'm sure the trucks in those renders would be about 64 inches tall.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/8/21 6:46 p.m.
andy_b said:

The 3rd gen focus withheld cruise control from the base model for the first year only, iirc. Our 2012 came without cruise, but I was able to add it for under $100. I bought a used steering wheel with the buttons and the harness between the clock spring and steering wheel buttons, and was able t turn on the cruise control using ForScan and Focccus. I imagine the wiring is mostly in place, and "they" will quickly figure out how to modify the "as-built" file to enable cruise with minimal cost or expense. 

Now, how much applies to the upper trim models adaptive cruise control and lane centering...  A few more sensors to add...

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/8/21 7:33 p.m.

Just saw one of these Mavericks in person at the Ford dealer as I was grabbing some parts for the van.

They look good and about the size I expected. The one I saw had steelies and white paint. Looked like a government vehicle. It was a hybrid. It seems like a good size for a lot of uses.

I think Ford is going to sell a lot of these.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/8/21 7:54 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to wspohn :

The car company has to legally defend the name too.  This means sending out cease and desist letters for people using the name on similar products.

Not doing this is how ChumpCar became ChampCar, sorta. The IRL just stopped defending the name after the re-merge and they lost the trademark.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/13/21 12:10 p.m.

I saw two today in a Detroit rest area.   Kinda jumped out as they looked small and low.   I was impressed.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/13/21 12:21 p.m.

I've still not seen any in real life, and only a couple of Santa Cruzes.

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/13/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

They really don't look that small next to a full size Silverado.  I'm really wondering about back seat room.

I own a Ram 2500 diesel already, but would 100% buy a plain fwd hybrid as the daily if my kids could travel in it comfortably.

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
10/13/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I could 100% get behind this. AWD Ecoboost sport truck that can tow 4k lbs for cheap? Yes please!

Error404
Error404 Reader
10/13/21 5:21 p.m.

I wouldn't say they're good looking (they're a modern "truck" after all) but they meet the low expectations I had. I'm not in the market but, if'n I were, I'd probably need to be talked into the Maverick and out of the Santa Cruz(?). Maybe just cut out the paint entirely and do the whole thing in stucco or something (2025, is that you?). When do we start getting vinyl siding or faux brick as choices? Ok, enough editorializiung. What I don't love looking at them is how tall every panel is. And the front view, of course. From a suburban useability standpoint, it's 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other between the Mav and Cruz, I think. It would probably come down to which offered less things that I don't want.

(For reference, my folks are currently trashing and ruining my '95 Magnum Dakota, that's what I want in a small truck.)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
10/13/21 5:21 p.m.

I understand perspective and all but those don't look very small at all next to that Chevy truck. 

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
10/13/21 6:17 p.m.

Here is a 2022 Maverick next to a 2008 single cab Ranger:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q1KNLvoTxM1wzVxrBndVL2KgfMUkO4JlEM8P9ZbiewuUfvMCPqJqPLTeeytikEyC