1 2 3 4 5
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
6/8/21 11:00 a.m.
iansane said:

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Gross.

With all due respect I don't understand this mindset. It's a $20k trucklet that gets 40MPG and will do all the truck things that most people ever would need it to. Basically, it is functional in exactly the way it needs to be. Who cares if it's a FWD unibody? 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 11:00 a.m.

So here's the big question:  How long until GM comes out with some competition?  And when Dodge comes out with something, how long until they stuff a Hemi in it?

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/8/21 11:01 a.m.

I also think it will do well.

This would work for my needs: The Datsun and trailer are 2450lb. If only had the F500 then I wouldn't need the 4K upgrade. My dirt bike would fit on the back as would all of the home store stuff I haul. The AWD option would take care of the soft roading we do in the Outback.

The price is very hard to ignore.

It is indeed butt ugly but that would not dissuade me from buying one.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/21 11:02 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Dodge design criteria demands hemi at the outset. 

After a year or two, it gets hellcat!

So, charger based hellcat powered ute. Sign me the berkeley up right now. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 11:03 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:
iansane said:

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Gross.

With all due respect I don't understand this mindset. It's a $20k trucklet that gets 40MPG and will do all the truck things that most people ever would need it to. Basically, it is functional in exactly the way it needs to be. Who cares if it's a FWD unibody? 

It can't tow 9K pounds or carry 20 sheets of plywood in the bed with the tailgate up, therefore to some people its not a real truck.  I agree with you, I don't understand this mindset.  This is a fantastic little truck.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 11:05 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to infinitenexus :

Dodge design criteria demands hemi at the outset. 

After a year or two, it gets hellcat!

So, charger based hellcat powered ute. Sign me the berkeley up right now. 

Can you imagine a truck this size with a hemi/hellcat and flares?  That would be incredible!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/8/21 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I ran across a SRT8 Charger converted to an Ute in the middle of nowhere Louisiana last year. I have pics somewhere. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
6/8/21 11:07 a.m.

I wonder if Smyth will make a kit to convert it to a two-door with a longer bed. They've done it for four-door sedans and the WJ Grand Cherokee - why not this?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/8/21 11:08 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

No. That's not what he asked, and though tiny is relative it's still almost 17' long.

Honestly friendo, I don't see anyone talking about "tiny" except you.  So I'm kinda confused as to what you might be getting worked up about?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/8/21 11:17 a.m.

Had I known it was going to be this cheap, I kind of doubt I would have bout my Fiesta and then bought an Astro work van. All in, I am really not that far off $20k and would have a warranty and such.  Oh well. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
6/8/21 11:18 a.m.

RE: utes

I kept wondering why this truck appeals so much to me, then realized it's basically a 2021 4-door El Camino...er Ranchero. 

With that in mind, put me in the camp of weirdos who want a 2-door, long bed version of this. I don't even mind it being FWD.

hoots04
hoots04 New Reader
6/8/21 11:19 a.m.

Autoblog posted a spec comparison between the Maverick and the Santa Cruz.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/08/2022-ford-maverick-hyundai-santa-cruz-comparison/

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/8/21 11:37 a.m.

I finally got through to the site and built an XL with the ecoboost, AWD, tow package, sunroof, and a few other options in blue.  It came out to about $26K.  For fun I built a Lariat with plenty of options in that gorgeous dark metallic red.  $37K.  

So once these have been out for 3 years and are coming off lease, I'm definitely planning on grabbing one up.  

MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
6/8/21 11:42 a.m.

iirc its also the cheapest new hybrid MSRP wise is it not?  I think the corolla hybrid and Ioniq are $21k msrp.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
6/8/21 11:43 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Yep, it is (or will be) the cheapest hybrid you can buy in America, which is kinda wild.

MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
6/8/21 11:49 a.m.

I also think Ford still uses toyota's hybrid system.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/8/21 11:51 a.m.
wae said:

Upon further reflection, I don't think this is really a "truck" to do truckstuff with.  This is actually a Ute for the driver that doesn't want to deal with a truck and doesn't really need to do heavy truckstuff.  You want to throw the cooler and a pop-up in the back to go to soccer games or pick up a couple bags of mulch without getting your trunk area wet and stained.  Maybe go get gas for the mower without having the SUV stink of gas for a week.  Maybe it needs a different category name, but Maverick : SUV :: ute : car.

You just described 75% of "real" truck owners out there.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/8/21 12:06 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I like the size and the shockingly sane, millennial-friendly price. The base model is the ideal pickup for the person who doesn't really need a pickup but still wants one - great city mileage, small size, low price, and on that odd day you want to pick up some long pieces of wood from Home Depot you can still fit them in the back so it feels like you're actually using your pickup for something. Has only enough power to get itself around and therefore practically no towing capacity by pickup standards, but if you don't really need a pickup that's fine.

The next model up could actually be used as a pickup, but it's kind of boring because it's a fairly conventional compact pickup, except for what I expect is a lateral powertrain layout.

What would be really interesting is if they did something between these models, a hybrid with a healthy amount of power up front and electric drive to the rear wheels, with plugin charging capability and at least 3500lbs towing capacity. I might personally be interested in something like that, which could haul or tow and drive long distances on occasion and still drive around town on all-electric power most of the time.

Yeah, yeah! It's literally the "millennial machine", a crossover with a bed.

Also, props to Ford for showing that moving away from Sedans isn't bad.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/21 12:17 p.m.
yupididit said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Brett_Murphy said:

They can't make it a two door with a longer bed, or I suspect it would be the weapon of choice for lots of people instead of bigger trucks.

As it is, I think it's going to eat into those sales quite a bit.

If I could get one with a bed long enough for my dirt bike and space behind the seats for a couple of dogs I would be interested. If I could get the same ecoboost I have in my Mustang and enough towing capacity to tow my Miata to the track, I would probably be on my way to the dealer right now. The four doors is not a deal breaker as much as the tiny bed is. Pickups are for hauling and towing stuff. 

Have you looked at the supercab Rangers? Sounds like thats your sweet spot. 

I'm not really buying anything in this overpriced car market. I just sold two. 

Maybe in a couple of years when the sales come back. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/8/21 12:29 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Very bland looking but at that price tag this thing could be sales boon.

Honestly, bland is kind of a relief in the truck market these days.

This is basically a first gen Tacoma. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, they have crazy resale values for a reason. And all of Australia is proof that a ute can do real work. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/8/21 12:34 p.m.

This is kinda cool

I'm not sure if others are doing it, but Ford has been dedicating a decent amount of space to 3D models that are available to the public.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/21 12:43 p.m.

Im sure the aftermarket will jump in but given those large plastic bed rail covers, it seems that an integrated tonneau cover would have been a good idea.   Maybe a retractable shade of semi-rigid sorts.  This might help bridge the gap between SUV and Open bed.  

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
6/8/21 12:45 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions that I might be able to answer from Ford.

Also, I can do a photo dump if anyone is interested.

Ask them if I can get a Grabber version, since it's a Maverick after all. laugh Preferably in green.

grover
grover Dork
6/8/21 12:45 p.m.

It's a mighty max for the 2020's. I think it's rad. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/8/21 12:46 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions that I might be able to answer from Ford.

What's the planned timeline for a styling refresh with headlights that don't look incredibly awkward? It actually seems like a great little trucklet otherwise.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xjahahnlXpdGCmQLRWN8g6GR6rbajzUkVYrsK1jiGqsWpdE8VW2qTcJnuhf68JSe