spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/16/19 7:32 p.m.

https://jalopnik.com/fords-apparently-about-to-debut-its-new-small-truck-1836413078

I'll be curious what the specs are, the ranger is a size smaller than the F150, but small truck it is not.. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/16/19 7:40 p.m.

Of course there wouldn't be a need for a truck below the ranger if the ranger wasn't an f150 that shrunk in the wash.

TJL
TJL Reader
7/16/19 7:50 p.m.

Trial balloon? “Joke” about it and see what the comments are?  

and yeah if the small trucks didnt become the big trucks and the big trucks didnt become the HUGE trucks, it wouldnt be needed. 

Some people(myself included) actually want a small truck. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/16/19 8:01 p.m.

If only they actually made a small truck. All they have now are Large, and XXX Fat Bastard. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/16/19 8:04 p.m.

As long as the Chicken Tax exists, the big three have no reason to make a small pickup, since there is no threat that any will be imported at a price  less than the current "mid-size" stuff they're already selling. So they can just sit back and sell giant trucks for giant profit, rather than smaller trucks for smaller profit. Because there's really no alternative for the consumer. 

At least, that's my reading of it. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
7/16/19 8:05 p.m.

I would've loved a focus based fwd, Ecoboost Ute/small truck with a limited slip. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/16/19 8:11 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/16/19 8:13 p.m.

I keep expecting Kia/Hyundai to begin offering a pick-up.  Not that it will nesisarily be a small truck.  I rather just expect them to get in on the truck game.  

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/16/19 8:15 p.m.
Grizz said:

Of course there wouldn't be a need for a truck below the ranger if the ranger wasn't an f150 that shrunk in the wash.

i missed that from the time i saw this earlier and when I actually got to post it... 

well... it was fun to hope.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/16/19 8:16 p.m.

Wasn't a Focus based truck confirmed last year? Or was that for all the other markets that got the T6 Ranger?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/16/19 8:17 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I keep expecting Kia/Hyundai to begin offering a pick-up.  Not that it will nesisarily be a small truck.  I rather just expect them 

wasn't there a lot of talk about Hyundai being pretty close to having the Santa Cruz (based on the new Tucson) ready in the next year or two? 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/16/19 8:21 p.m.
captdownshift said:

I would've loved a focus based fwd, Ecoboost Ute/small truck with a limited slip. 

Honestly a Cab chassis transit with a bed tossed on would be good too.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/16/19 8:22 p.m.

well since this is GRM , Miata pickup !

or if you want to be fancy Tesla Ute

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/16/19 8:39 p.m.
Grizz said:
captdownshift said:

Honestly a Cab chassis transit with a bed tossed on would be good too.

I'm picturing this:

Just with an Ecoboost engine and Ford badges. That's not a bad thing.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/16/19 8:54 p.m.

I thought they were making a Courier based on the escape or focus

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PiQQnvGGGWJhQQrx6yTxlJhey0c9TJ5AclCjfhYwwCQhmngP0IlNWpEeueFQsNdM