1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/10/23 11:05 a.m.

I didn't see anyone discussing this yet, so I figured I would share.

The Ford Ranger has been "fully redesigned" for 2024. One of the bigger takeaways is that we'll be getting a Raptor version powered by a 3.0-liter turbo V6 rated at 405 horsepower and 430 lb.-ft. of torque.

Other things to note:

• Four trims will be available: XL, XLT, Latiat and Raptor
  • Each one–aside from the Raptor–is powered by a 2.3-liter inline-four good for 270 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque. A 2.7-liter turbo V6 rated at 315 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque is optional
  • All models come fitted with a 10-speed automatic
  • Max towing is rated at 7500 lbs. for the XL,XLT and Lariat, with the Raptor rated at 5510 lbs.

And here's some photos for your viewing pleasure:

XL

XLT

Lariat

Raptor

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to track down an answer.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
5/10/23 11:08 a.m.

Is hover mode only available on the Raptor?

Colin Wood
5/10/23 11:12 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I think it's easier to achieve on the Raptor. wink

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/10/23 11:18 a.m.

Except for the height, it looks just like the Maverick.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/10/23 11:26 a.m.

Looks good. No hybrid or ev version?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/10/23 11:32 a.m.

I wish they would bring in the 3.0L diesel as well. 

Colin Wood
5/10/23 11:41 a.m.
yupididit said:

It doesn't look like it based on the current press release, but that could in the future.

Colin Wood
5/10/23 11:41 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I wish they would bring in the 3.0L diesel as well. 

Me too.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
5/10/23 11:42 a.m.

They need to double the Maverick production.  Demand seems to be there. 

And the new Ranger is about the same size as the F-150 of 25 years ago when I bought a Ranger because the F-150 was too big for what I wanted.  

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
5/10/23 12:24 p.m.

Meh, I'll stick with my 2019.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/10/23 12:43 p.m.

The Raptor MSRP will be what? 55k? So, 65-75k with markup. 

Doesn't really seem worth it to me. 

But then again, I'm not really into these things. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
5/10/23 12:48 p.m.

I figured it would bear a familial resemblance to the Maverick, but was hoping for a bit more evolutionary improvement to the look. Maybe it'll continue to grow on me.  It is great to see the 2.7EB optional on all 'normal' trims though... That's a gem of an engine that deserves to be a 'premium' upgrade in more applications.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/10/23 1:34 p.m.
yupididit said:

I can't believe I'm typing these words, but if there's no hybrid version, I'm probably not going to be interested.

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
5/10/23 2:11 p.m.

It looks nice, but is twice the size of my 02 Ranger. The Maverick is even bigger than my 02 Ranger.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/10/23 3:04 p.m.

If I needed a truck. This would likely be my choice. It's bigger than Ranger's in the past, yes. But unless I was towing all the time I can't imagine needing an F-series Ford.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
5/10/23 3:19 p.m.
jharry3 said:

And the new Ranger is about the same size as the F-150 of 25 years ago when I bought a Ranger because the F-150 was too big for what I wanted.  

The mid size trucks have grown to full size of pre-2k, but last time I checked they still don't give us enough space between the wheel wells for a 4x8 sheet of plywood to lay flat.

I think it's intentional to force people into full size if the want 4x8 sheet (plywood, wallboard, rigid foam, etc) to lay flat. There are still ways around it (lay across tailgate, etc), but makes the super short beds even less useful for some truck stuff.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
5/10/23 3:30 p.m.

I'm finding it a little alarming as I get older and time goes quicker when the new version of something comes out and my only thought is "didn't we just get a new version a minute ago?"

Hasn't it only been 3-4 years since the last one? Or is this down to that one already having aged a bit before we got it in the US?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/10/23 4:05 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

The new Ranger bed is 48" between the wheel wells.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
5/10/23 4:42 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

That's good to know when I'm looking to get another vehicle in 2026. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/10/23 4:44 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

I'm finding it a little alarming as I get older and time goes quicker when the new version of something comes out and my only thought is "didn't we just get a new version a minute ago?"

Hasn't it only been 3-4 years since the last one? Or is this down to that one already having aged a bit before we got it in the US?

It's been in the US market for 4 years, but I think the platform dates back to the early 2010s.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
5/10/23 4:48 p.m.

Hell yeah Ranger Raptor. I love the proliferation of fast off-road trucks these days. Wish I could afford them, but that's not Ford's problem. I'm sure they'll sell tons of em.

This is the first time I've seen a watts link used on a off-road vehicle. Do y'all know if anyone else has done it?

Apparently it also has anti-lag of sorts in Baja mode. It'll keep the turbos spooled for up to 3 seconds after the driver lifts off the throttle. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/10/23 5:06 p.m.
No Time said:
jharry3 said:

The mid size trucks have grown to full size of pre-2k, but last time I checked they still don't give us enough space between the wheel wells for a 4x8 sheet of plywood to lay flat.

I think it's intentional to force people into full size if the want 4x8 sheet (plywood, wallboard, rigid foam, etc) to lay flat. There are still ways around it (lay across tailgate, etc), but makes the super short beds even less useful for some truck stuff.

As pointed out, you're incorrect. 

The vast majority of truck buyers don't NEED a truck, but it's the new status symbol like a BMW/Merc/Audi used to be. 

If you're being practical, rent a truck from Lowes/HD, the 3 times per you need one. And before someone points out I drive a small sports car, my house was fully renovated when I bought it..........and if we need house stuff, we will do exactly what I said or have it delivered. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/10/23 5:20 p.m.

Instead of whining about how big it is...

I like the new front end better than the current front end.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
5/10/23 6:50 p.m.
z31maniac said:
No Time said:
jharry3 said:

As pointed out, you're incorrect. 

The vast majority of truck buyers don't NEED a truck, but it's the new status symbol like a BMW/Merc/Audi used to be. 

If you're being practical, rent a truck from Lowes/HD, the 3 times per you need one. And before someone points out I drive a small sports car, my house was fully renovated when I bought it..........and if we need house stuff, we will do exactly what I said or have it delivered. 

Wow, this is my lucky day. I get someone to point out I'm wrong a second time, after I already admitted that I was wrong and learned something new.

Can I get you to guide me in my next vehicle purchase? I want to be sure my selection and use case justification meets your approval. 

Now that my ass-hattery is done...

The 2024 Ranger will have more than 48" between the wheel wells. Something I learned today.

2023 and earlier Rangers, Colorado/Canyon, and Tacoma only had about 45". 

So even though they were approximately the same overall dimensions as the 2024 Ranger, my generalization of current mid size trucks, 2024 ranger excluded, was accurate for any available today. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/10/23 7:01 p.m.

Jesse Ransom, I was having the exact same thought! I thought the last Ranger was still "new."

I like the looks of this truck. But, I see no reason to buy one given the relative lack of utility, though. But people drive trucks for other reasons, so no one cares. And this is hardly my market so carry on Ford.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2UXP5vpsEaXsPEglU0kLkKesunD7N67yX54hruVq4zqrERjDhmHJ3Yu00xy9uSom