1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
7/28/11 7:13 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Duke wrote: ...except that word on the street is that these will be required to be crushed at the end of service, rather than sold to private hands.
Whoops! I can see it happening too. The might of the EPA is a serious thing. Or, hell even UPS crushes all of it's brown trucks. I can easily see GM writing that into the contracts.

Just an FYI- police car have to meet the same Federal and California regulations as every day cars do.

So if they are crushed, the reason for being crushed is not to be levied because of some rumored government standard.

theenico
theenico New Reader
7/28/11 7:26 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote: who said W Body Impala. you are a Big 3 Insider you should know what the next generation Impala is going to be.

If he is an insider, then he knows that the next Impala will be nothing like this car and that it will still power the front wheels.

I've seen the new Caprice in person and it is a big car. In the middle east the G8 equivalent is sold as the Lumina and the this bad boy is sold as the Caprice.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/28/11 9:43 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote: ...its the only cool gm car right now

Silly man, Your opinion is wrong:

...ok well the SS is not a definite

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/28/11 12:43 p.m.

fwiw i asked the only car enthusiast i know who works for gm, granted he's just a drivetrain engineer there, but he had no idea about any unnecissary caprice crushing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
7/29/11 5:40 p.m.

My total guess on the crush rumor is CAFE standards. While the car meets emission standards, 6.0 liters of fun would put a dent in the fleet fuel econ numbers. If the cars are never sold to the public, maybe they don't count? Perhaps there is a loophole here somewhere. If the cars are leased to the police depts, the up front cost to them would be less. Crushing them still seems like a big stupid waste......

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
7/29/11 10:50 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

I think you just may be onto something, although I think if leading didn't count towards their CAFE rating, they wouldnt sell squat, and try to lease to everyone. Although you can't buy police spec vehicles from them anyway, I don't see how that would effect their CAFE rating, since it had already been sold once.

shrugs

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EVsfssHJ7M9FgDgPV9uonhur8ekrlStikBrFsGAxfSKx9QPJYAXXEJsfz3YfM5wa