triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
8/2/11 9:17 a.m.

The HRT/Lotus/Virgin group are doing their best just to keep running and arriving at the tracks. It costs lots of $$ to make improvements. Lotus, so far, has done the best, it seems. Maybe the 3 weeks off will give them the time the 3 teams need to improve a bit. Still, to even make the field. hats off to all three. Now if someone has lots of money to throw at one or all, I'm sure you'd see some improvements faster.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
8/2/11 10:36 a.m.

The second tier teams seem so slow and I think their drivers do an admirable job of staying out of the way. That has to be frustrating for the drivers and the teams, but the slowest guy on an F1 grid still has a seat in F1.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
8/2/11 11:35 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: The three weeks is allowing them to make improvements.

don't get caught.... 3 weeks is "supposed to be" actual closing of the shops and NO work to be performed

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
8/3/11 8:45 a.m.

Not supposed to be, it is. Computer shut down, blackberries off and all go home. Mandated and monitored by the FIA. The factories can do some PR, demo's and have accounts and legal open, but every one else must have 2 weeks off, even the managers etc.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
8/3/11 8:50 a.m.

Well, the news I read had Red Bull proclaiming a new diffuser, so maybe the home teams have been working on it, and just plan on showing it at spa...

But it's too bad that the smaller teams can't work.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
8/11/11 3:50 p.m.

Was just seeing that Bernie announced that the Austin F1 race is definitely moving to Nov. 2012. Also, Speed, the Motorsports Authority, seems to think the track is in Houston.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/11/11 10:32 p.m.

Glad I haven't booked anything yet

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/12/11 6:49 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Glad I haven't booked anything yet

Unfortunately, a lot of people already have...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/12/11 6:57 a.m.

We should do a group deal, maybe start a thread on that so we can all hang together like dorks.....wait.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/27/11 7:49 a.m.

Heidfeld is suing Lotus Renault for putting Bruno Senna in his seat, not sure how you sue someone because you don't perform as well as expected.

Plus Bruno brings big $

Spitsix
Spitsix Reader
8/27/11 8:49 a.m.

And Bruno drove the wheels off the car in Qualifying!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/27/11 8:59 a.m.
Spitsix wrote: And Bruno drove the wheels off the car in Qualifying!

So did Schumacher.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
8/27/11 9:25 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Heidfeld is suing Lotus Renault for putting Bruno Senna in his seat, not sure how you sue someone because you don't perform as well as expected. Plus Bruno brings big $

Last time I checked Heidfield was whooping the snot ot of the "real" driver teammate Petrov. Just saying...

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/27/11 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Heidfeld w/34 points

Petrov w/32 points

Not exactly a bloodbath going on there.............

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
8/28/11 9:43 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to Javelin: Heidfeld w/34 points Petrov w/32 points Not exactly a bloodbath going on there.............
  • Australia: Petrov 3rd, Heidfeld 12th
  • Malaysia: Heidfeld 3rd, Petrov 17th
  • China: Petrov 9th, Heidfeld 12th
  • Turkey: Heidfeld 7th, Petrov 8th
  • Spain:Heidfeld 9th (starting from the back due to missing qualifying), Petrov 11th
  • Monaco: Heidfeld 8th, Petrov 19th
  • Canada: Petrov 5th, Heidfeld 20th
  • Valencia: Heidfeld 10th, Petrov 15th
  • Britain: Heidfeld 8th, Petrov 12th
  • Germany: Petrov 9th, Heidfeld 24th
  • Hungary: Petrov 12th, Heidfeld 23rd

It wasn't until the last 2 races when stuff happened outside of Heidfeld's control that Petrov really looked any good. Otherwise Heidfeld was ahead 6 to 3 and finished in the points 6 to 4.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/28/11 10:30 a.m.

Well, Heidfeld hasn't made it to Q3 even once this season, and Bruno has already beat that!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/28/11 10:44 a.m.

Red Bull are still ahead of the rest, Webber had the usual pitiful start but ran a wonderful race for second, imagine what the result would have been if he had got off the start line in decent shape.

Hamilton, wow, IMHO he was equally to blame in the Maldonardo incident, he obviously turned towards the other car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC8SOVCfuyw

Then he drove into Kobyashi when he appeared to be oblivious to the presence of the passing vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybjqj2ZSWLY

Button performed exceptionally also.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/28/11 10:59 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Red Bull are still ahead of the rest, Webber had the usual pitiful start but ran a wonderful race for second, imagine what the result would have been if he had got off the start line in decent shape. Hamilton, wow, IMHO he was equally to blame in the Maldonardo incident, he obviously turned towards the other car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC8SOVCfuyw Then he drove into Kobyashi when he appeared to be oblivious to the presence of the passing vehicle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybjqj2ZSWLY Button performed exceptionally also.

Red Bull sets a high bar and they deserve their success. And I like that Vettel hasn't (yet) become a tool like some other very young WC's. Webber does a great job as a "senior" but really needs to works on his starting procedure, otherwise he'd be real competition to Seb.

I really liked Hamilton's skill when he first started but McLaren's internal politics (and his subsequent attitude) planted the seeds of discontent. The last couple of years (this weekend included) have done nothing to change that opinion.

Love that Button got a podium at the expense of the "Brow". And kudos to Schumacher for the best drive on the race, even though I'm not a fan of his.

Good race!

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
8/28/11 2:17 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: I really liked Hamilton's skill when he first started but McLaren's internal politics (and his subsequent attitude) planted the seeds of discontent. The last couple of years (this weekend included) have done nothing to change that opinion.

loved his comment during the interview after his crash... " someone hit me and it knocked me out of the race " ... not exact words but accurate in the gist of what he said.... in the replays it looked like he might consider using his mirrors to make sure he clears a car before moving back on line....

but since he's a past WC maybe he thinks that back markers should act as though the race were a PDX and lift to allow the pass to be made ...

Hamilton ... bleh ....

racerfink
racerfink Dork
8/28/11 4:21 p.m.

Let the Hamilton bashing begin...

He passed Kobyashi, when the Japanese driver tried coming back on him. Kobyashi had NO CHANCE of making it work, and tried outbraking him around the outside. ON WORN OPTION TIRES. Hamilton had just come out of the pits, and Kobyashi had absolutely nothing for him. Bad move by Kobyashi.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
8/28/11 4:26 p.m.

pirelli, the 70's called and want their dated logo and gold leaf hats back.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
8/28/11 4:35 p.m.

I've watched the replay over and over and what I see is Hamilton tried to come back on line before he had cleared Kobyashi.. pure and simple....

with new tires Hamilton would have been enabled him to wait way later than Kobyashi to start braking for that corner... he just mistimed his move then in a round a bout way tried to place the blame on someone else ...

like I said ... bleh ...not been very impressive since his first yr .... when he really was impressive..... the way he drove, the way he handled the politics on the team ... everything seemed to point to a true superstar in the making... not so much since then

racerfink
racerfink Dork
8/28/11 5:27 p.m.

Hamilton had him passed cleanly, and Koby tried oubraking him. Koby's fault, plain and simple.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
8/28/11 5:36 p.m.

Look again at how much room is to Koby's left when he turns in. He turned in early. Hamilton has to go in further to pick up the late apex of the corner. Koby didn't account for that. Most people that have never raced don't realize that either.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
8/28/11 6:09 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Yea, it's not as if Lewis was won a championship or anything.

Oh, wait, he has. And if not had his team made a few bad calls, he would have 2.

Not sure how that is not impressive, but maybe you have a different standard for him.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JQ46Id3iMmR5jZGYWN4TSTQf0ncHSSJ7auHiAbrX46L3PgBO5cwoNR2pkNSSkQb6