Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/15/21 7:06 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I would like them to continue the set tire allocations for 2022. I think the end of this season is definitely an end of an era like when Audi left LeMans. MB dominating is over in theory. They may dominate 2022 as well, but it is very far from certain. It might be Albon and vs Ocon for the WDC, who knows. 

Qatar seems interesting but the Saudi track looks odd and may just result in a Mexico type race of few passes. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/15/21 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Given how it's worked out this season, if they do what you suggest, it would work pretty well for the fans.

I'm pretty excited about next season, especially since I hear that some of the teams are predicting far less loss of laptime than F1 originally predicted.  And the F1 engineers are saying they expect that, actually.

Will Haas return to their former form of being one of the best midfield?  That would be nice to see.  

The one team that I kind of suspect may not do well (relatively) is Red Bull- they are clearly going for this season, bringing more stuff that other teams have stopped doing a while ago.  All Mercedes is doing is bringing new engines.  

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
11/15/21 9:23 p.m.

As for tire allocation, I think Pirelli should bring the same quantity of 3 tire compounds for all teams and each team should be required to run all 3 compounds during the race, making every race at least a 2 stop race. I think there would be some interesting strategies and ensure more interesting races

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/15/21 9:38 p.m.
Advan046 said:

I would like them to continue the set tire allocations for 2022. I think the end of this season is definitely an end of an era like when Audi left LeMans. MB dominating is over in theory. They may dominate 2022 as well, but it is very far from certain. It might be Albon and vs Ocon for the WDC, who knows. 

That's unlikely.  Radically changing the rules generally benefits the teams with lots of money because they are the ones with the resources to best examine and explore the solutions that it offers.  It may well not be Mercedes who has the upper hand, but it's very likely to be one of them, Ferrari, or Red Bull, with an outside chance of McLaren.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/16/21 6:03 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

But that massive difference that had been there is no longer there.  Cost caps with massive penalties plus development time limits will equalize the field more than it has in the history of F1.  I agree that one of the top spending teams (including Ferrari) should have a better time- but it's not nearly as certain.

The teams that are really going to suffer are the low spending teams, like Haas and Sauber.  Some of the other ones have gotten massive injections- Force India and Williams.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/16/21 8:54 a.m.
alfadriver said:
accordionfolder said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to accordionfolder :

Christian is clearly implying that Mercedes must be cheating.  That's not just normal talk and pandering- that's an accusation.  As opposed to just accepting that Mercedes learned something.

And that's his job me thinks - remember Ferrari? If he weren't doing an amazing job as team-boss, he wouldn't be there.

The accusation is exactly why Max touched the wing.  This is one of those- "how dare they be faster than us" BS things that Horner constantly does.  I'm sure he would have asked for a race ban had Lewis turned in when Max had no intention of making that corner.  And remember Max was pretty nasty in his reply to the warning for weaving.  

The disgust with Red Bull just gets worse.

So, did Mercedes cheat or was Horner just BSing? Last I checked one team was complaining and the other penalized for a non-conforming critical component....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/16/21 9:04 a.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver said:
accordionfolder said:
alfadriver said:

Christian is clearly implying that Mercedes must be cheating.  That's not just normal talk and pandering- that's an accusation.  As opposed to just accepting that Mercedes learned something.

And that's his job me thinks - remember Ferrari? If he weren't doing an amazing job as team-boss, he wouldn't be there.

The accusation is exactly why Max touched the wing.  This is one of those- "how dare they be faster than us" BS things that Horner constantly does.  I'm sure he would have asked for a race ban had Lewis turned in when Max had no intention of making that corner.  And remember Max was pretty nasty in his reply to the warning for weaving.  

So, did Mercedes cheat or was Horner just BSing? Last I checked one team was complaining and the other penalized for a non-conforming critical component....

50k is chump change for the info.  Max flexed his wing, then did the same to Lewis" wing.  I'd wager he was told exactly what to do, because RB has no idea what the hell is going on, and need a data point or two.  Max flexing it is the best they could do.  One of the talking heads asked him about it, and he said it was very different...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/16/21 9:21 a.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:
alfadriver said:
accordionfolder said:
alfadriver said:

What Red Bull is accusing Mercedes was doing has nothing to do with the penalty.  They are accusing Merc for having a flexible wing that can't be detected via the test- so the middle would dip down, in theory.  Merc got penalized for the DRS opening too much- which happened only at the ends (not the middle).  Which was a fit or not test with 10N of force.  

Not the same thing at all.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/16/21 9:24 a.m.

So on boards are released for the force off- at speed, it looks like Max just understeered.  But when you look close, Max totally missed the apex (he apexed early (which even beginner racers know that results in understeer and missing the exit), and then dialed out steering lock as he approached the outside of the corner- and it was not really understeering there.

When Lewis missed the apex at Silverstone, he was blamed for the accident, but this time when max misses the apex, it's just a racing thing.  Go figure.

The Red ByullE36 M3 complaint about the Merc wing seems more about sour grapes that Mercedes was able to 100% overcome 25 grids places of penalties.  Just like they were upset that Hamilton was able to overcome the penalty at Silverstone.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/16/21 9:41 a.m.

The other Alfa seat is settled- Guanyu Zhou is getting that seat. 

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
11/16/21 10:36 a.m.

It's getting juicy, or silly I don't know which...

Mercedes requests review

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/16/21 10:40 a.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

Both.

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
11/16/21 10:45 a.m.

I hope that in the next 3 races LH doesn't give him a chance to put him in the fence because I am sure it will end up that way if Max can.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/21 11:29 a.m.

So many of these racers say they're big Senna fans - and it's totally what Senna would do. But it's a really E36 M3ty way to win a championship, and why I'm not much of a fan of Senna or Schumi. Hopefully it ends as badly for Max as it did for Michael.

I'm glad the lap 48 incident didn't make any difference to the actual race result, but I can see why Mercedes is shining a spotlight on what they see as inconsistent policing of the rules. Best case scenario for them would be for Max to get a grid penalty for the next race, but more likely it's to ensure even treatment for the rest of the season.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/16/21 11:36 a.m.

I was expecting about what I saw. Watching the outside shot, the front wheels stayed to the left.  Doesn't look like anything other than a little argy bargey to me.

Something a lot more blatant out of the in car camera would be needed to get anybody in trouble, I think.

Plus, I want penalties to be for bleedin' obvious stuff, not things you have to search mountains of video to find possible arguments.  See: Major League Baseball.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/16/21 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That sums it up for me.  I don't have any question that Senna had oodles of talent.  But at the same time, being that way on the track should have not been needed.  Same goes for Schumi.  Max is a continuation of them, thanks to how his dad brought him up (and all of the privelige a son of an F1 driver gets).

Although, I'm not so sure I wish Max hits his helmeted head with a tree... ;)

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/16/21 11:39 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

But it's a really E36 M3ty way to win a championship, and why I'm not much of a fan of Senna or Schumi. Hopefully it ends as badly for Max as it did for Michael.

This is pretty much the reason why I'm rooting for Hamilton to take one more, because as far as I can tell he's been a pretty solid sportsman who hasn't had to resort to such shameful tactics to win so I'd like to see him on the top of the list.

I can appreciate why so many want to see someone else win, but how Max, Horner, and Red Bull have conducted themselves this year is a little gross to me.  I can appreciate being upset after Silverstone, that's fair, but if you reversed the roles it's guaranteed that Max is going to send it all the same and behaving like that's not true is transparently ridiculous.  That there are a number of other drivers who've been vocal about giving Max plenty of space to accomodate his Ricky Bobby attitude of "if you're not first you're last" is pretty telling.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/16/21 11:41 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I was expecting about what I saw. Watching the outside shot, the front wheels stayed to the left.  Doesn't look like anything other than a little argy bargey to me.

Something a lot more blatant out of the in car camera would be needed to get anybody in trouble, I think.

Plus, I want penalties to be for bleedin' obvious stuff, not things you have to search mountains of video to find possible arguments.  See: Major League Baseball.

There wasn't anything there because max made no effort to actually make the corner.  I bet he expected Lewis to turn in on him.  That wasn't an accident or mistake, max makes moves to beg the other driver to make contact.  And then blames the other driver for doing that.  As if that's a valid way to defend.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
11/16/21 11:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm glad the lap 48 incident didn't make any difference to the actual race result, but I can see why Mercedes is shining a spotlight on what they see as inconsistent policing of the rules. Best case scenario for them would be for Max to get a grid penalty for the next race, but more likely it's to ensure even treatment for the rest of the season.

I think there's also precedent for giving him a 5 second time penalty, which would move him down to 3rd behind Bottas.

Max's front camera video:  (I have no idea why the form factor is stupid)  

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
11/16/21 11:51 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Hopefully it ends as badly for Max as it did for Michael.

I'm going to assume we are talking about one of the championship hunts and not his current state. indecision

codrus (Forum Supporter)
11/16/21 12:09 p.m.
New York Nick said:
Keith Tanner said:

Hopefully it ends as badly for Max as it did for Michael.

I'm going to assume we are talking about one of the championship hunts and not his current state. indecision

1997 seems like the most relevant comparison.  His current state has nothing to do with his driving techniques.

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
11/16/21 12:14 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I figured that, Keith has always been an honorable dude. My F1 watch history only goes back to 2008 so some things still escape me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/21 12:16 p.m.

Of course, I'm talking about on-track behavior - and yes, 1997 in particular. 

I remember there was some fuss about Lewis driving slower lap times while leading the last race in 2016 so that Nico would get backed into the following cars and maybe lose positions, but that's a far cry from purposefully making contact with your rival.

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
11/16/21 12:21 p.m.

I just read the wiki on the 1997 season, interesting that he was DSQ'd for the season points and not just the race. Sorry for not knowing and making a bad assumption.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/21 12:42 p.m.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. Yeah, I wouldn't wish Michael's current state on anyone regardless of how it happened.

I wasn't following F1 too closely in 1997, but I was at a Lotus Club of Eastern Ontario meeting later that day and it was all they could talk about. A big factor was that it was the Canadian Jacques Villeneuve that Schumi had tried to take out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z6eO0sKVcqJyPZz4wJ0qzWwcLje39NTNKbKtYejYU68MKHGby44hRGw8KRRmoAAN