johndej
johndej Dork
12/5/21 2:34 p.m.

There are some comments that Lewis wasn't told Max was giving it back might have been thinking it was another virtual safety car.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/5/21 2:40 p.m.

Why are we watching Lewis drive around by himself while Valterri battles for third?

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/5/21 2:41 p.m.

wtf just happened...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork

Happy that Hamilton won.  Hated the race.  What a freaking mess that track is.

And GREAT ending for Bottas!!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork

Well that was different. 

wae
wae UberDork
12/5/21 2:43 p.m.

They keep saying that Lewis and Max will be level pegging at the next race.  Maybe that means something different in British English, but I thought they already tried that today and it didn't work out so well.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/5/21 2:43 p.m.

Crazy race!!  Tied on points going to last race, Max will crash Lewis out if he can't keep him behind. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/5/21 2:44 p.m.
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

Why are we watching Lewis drive around by himself while Valterri battles for third?

In addition to the track sucking, the director made some very poor choices in what cameras to show when.

12/5/21 2:45 p.m.

Lewis sounded fired up on the radio. Fastest lap with a broken front wing.

BrewCity20
BrewCity20 New Reader

Can somebody explain what just happened there? So Max slows down three times to try to give Lewis the place and still gets the 5 second penalty?

Anybody?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork

The second half of that was pretty entertaining.  I think Toto will be suffering from an emotional whiplash headache tonight.

And congrats to VB on that pass.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to BrewCity20 :

The only think I can come up with is that Max was told to give the spot back, and Mercedes was not informed fast enough- so Lewis had no idea what was going on.   The second time Max let him pass, it was too fast back and forth- and historically, that resulted in other drivers getting 5 seconds for not really giving the spot back.  The last time was a real pass.

Hopefully, there will be a real decription of what went on.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/5/21 2:49 p.m.

Well, this race will provide quite a lot of hours of YouTube commentary in the coming weeks... so that's something,

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 2:52 p.m.

Or the 5 seconds could be the fact that Max repassed Lewis going into turn 1 by going off track, when Lewis did a better job staying on track.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/5/21 2:54 p.m.

The five seconds was for max gaining the position by going off track.

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
12/5/21 2:55 p.m.

What's amazing to me is how differently Mercedes and Red Bull see things. I know there are always three sides to the story but it's almost like the two teams are watching different races. 

BrewCity20
BrewCity20 New Reader
12/5/21 2:55 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Yeah, I suspect that is probably it. I just figured by the third go at the very least a penalty was out of the question (not that it mattered in the end). Part of me wanted Red Bull to just say Screw it and see if they could get 5 seconds on a damaged Hamilton, but Hamilton's pace even with the broken wing proved that probably woudl have been no good anyways.

In my opinion, Max lost this on the second restart. He needed to nail that start and didn't - which lead to using yellows for the third restart, which lead to Hamilton being faster at the end regardless.

wae
wae UberDork
12/5/21 2:56 p.m.

Okay, so the track is what it is but....  That light show is pretty cool.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/5/21 2:56 p.m.

In the end, I think Lewis was always going to win that.  The medium tires didn't hold up, and the hards gave Lewis a series of fastest laps towards the end, with a broken front wing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/5/21 2:57 p.m.

Now, next week.  Oh my, oh my...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/21 2:58 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The five seconds was for max gaining the position by going off track.

Correct. And when Lewis got the wing damage, you can see Max lifts, but then kicks over toward the middle of the track. 

Next week is going to be REALLLLLLLLLY interesting. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 2:58 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Now, next week.  Oh my, oh my...

Max has to be careful- can't crash Lewis without making sure Lewis can't keep going....   

Actually what will be interesting is to see if Max gets a grid spot penalty for the antics today.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/21 2:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In the end, I think Lewis was always going to win that.  The medium tires didn't hold up, and the hards gave Lewis a series of fastest laps towards the end, with a broken front wing.

And he was getting fastest laps on the hards even before the broken wing. 

12/5/21 3:02 p.m.

Lol Max just casually wanders off the podium

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 3:02 p.m.

For the Hamilton haters because of his attitude, that was an interesting display from Max.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2XqJfk00qsWVONsOGbJ0LrhRTIJHr275aJjxaF7CZyOO24dhT30fbheSoPf3A5Ax