Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/5/21 3:11 p.m.

And a trip to the stewards for Max.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/5/21 3:26 p.m.

Pretty much the contact appears to be mostly a result of a communication error. We'll see whay the Stewards say after they look at the telemetry.

Verstappen repeatedly cut the track so the 5 seconds cam as now shock. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/21 3:27 p.m.

I still don't understand why Brundle is the only one that pointed out Max juked to the middle of the track as he was slowing to "let" Hamilton by. 

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
12/5/21 3:31 p.m.

I like Hamilton but I have never been a huge Mercedes fan, historically  I am Ferrari, McLaren then Mercedes' but watching the post race interviews Christian Horner just sounds like a flaming shiny happy person. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/5/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I was just telling me wife Verstappen appeared to be giving the spot back in his usual impetuous manner BUT without hearing from the stewards I don't know that to be true.

Without a doubt he was a bit weavy. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

He's always been smarmy, but now he's unbelievably annoying now that Reb Bull aren't claiming WDC/CC. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
12/5/21 4:04 p.m.

I'm happy that Lewis won but I feel he made more mistakes than usual. I was watching his onboard camera and saw Max slow in front of him and assumed Max broke, and don't know why Lewis pulled up right behind him. All I can think of is Lewis has a massive distrust of Max and was afraid of going for the gap. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/5/21 4:06 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I'm happy that Lewis won but I feel he made more mistakes than usual. I was watching his onboard camera and saw Max slow in front of him and assumed Max broke, and don't know why Lewis pulled up right behind him. All I can think of is Lewis has a massive distrust of Max and was afraid of going for the gap. 

I'm really confused as well, and post race didn't help.  Did Lewis think there was a safety issue coming up?  Was it purely the drs detection line they were arguing over?  It was just weird on both sides.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 4:17 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
loosecannon said:

I'm really confused as well, and post race didn't help.  Did Lewis think there was a safety issue coming up?  Was it purely the drs detection line they were arguing over?  It was just weird on both sides.

I'm sure that's what really confused Hamilton, there were so many stops or partial stops during the race, it could have been Max seeing something that Lewis did- especially since he wasn't told that Max was giving him the spot back.   It was just so confusing.

But the other time Max gave the spot back and IMMEDIATELY passed him back has never been ok.  

So next weekend, Lewis needs to win from the front so that he does not have to worry about passing Max.  He's kind of losing his mind out there.  And we know that his claims of the pressure not getting to him is not exactly true.  Same goes for Christian.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/5/21 4:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
loosecannon said:

From in car I can see how Lewis was setting up Max for the pass and planned to go right to get the best run out the last corner. But then Max starts slowing down. At this point MB was still getting the race director's message to Lewis. So Lewis sees Max slowing on line but then drifts mid track and starts to wiggle back and forth. As Lewis says post race he didn't want to pull alongside because it looked like Max was playing some game. Then Max does a more significant wiggle to his left then right. And Lewis tries to bail to the left but it is too late. Max may honestly think he was being clear in his car positioning of his intent but after several replays it doesn't look clear just as Damon Hill and one of the other commentators said. Lewis said post race that he know Max plays games and he himself will have to win his 8th WDC by yielding to Max's crazy driving rather than get taken out. And he made the point that it has been working since he is now level on points. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/5/21 4:28 p.m.

It's hard to blame Lewis for being cautious.  It seems like most times he pulls up along side Max there's an incident.

I think that's the difference between these two drivers.  If the roles were reversed I have no doubt that Max would have just attacked and passed on the left, while more often than not Lewis has to use one eye to keep his car where he wants it and the other eye looking for Max to do something he doesn't expect.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/5/21 4:29 p.m.

All the decisions by the race director seemed correct but somehow the communication priority and timing seemed off. A bad day for F1 as a professional sport in that regard. 

Max went off track in turn 1 and deserved a 5 second penalty and then made another bad move I to turn one and had to give up the position to Lewis. Then did that wrong by doing the let you past at the DRS zone then blast by you on the straight gag. Then gave that back and I think Lewis AGAIN wasn't informed Max was going to let him by or just went wide or what. 

But in the end it seems that communication between race control and RBR/MB fell apart this race. 

As far as the track, him yes they need to fix sector 1 and also get the Monaco guys to teach them how to clear a street track quick. 

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
12/5/21 4:33 p.m.

It's only ok to drive the way Max did in video games. Today he looked ham handed and shady.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
12/5/21 4:40 p.m.
petemc53555 said:

It's only ok to drive the way Max did in video games. Today he looked ham handed and shady.

Forza maybe... do some of that in iRacing and you're getting yelled at.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/5/21 4:54 p.m.

As a McLaren fan this race was particularly insulting to watch. Bottas holds up the whole berking field so Hamilton can have a free stop under safety car and Mercedes doesn't get a penalty? Hamilton straight up rear ends Verstappen and doesn't get a penalty? Max lets Hamilton by and still gets a penalty? The track is used despite not being done and was only signed off for safety 3 days ago? Mazespin REALLY rear ends someone and takes out half the damn field including Perez and gets no penalties?!? And how is DRS allowed on the last straight like that? 

Man I know the FIA and F1 play games, but this WWF levels of absurdity. RB and Mercedes are both playing dangerous games that even Ferrari of the oughts wouldn't dare try and neither Max nor Lewis deserve to be where they are. They both drive like idiots.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
12/5/21 4:57 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

As a McLaren fan this race was particularly insulting to watch. Bottas holds up the whole berking field so Hamilton can have a free stop under safety car and Mercedes doesn't get a penalty? Hamilton straight up rear ends Verstappen and doesn't get a penalty? Max lets Hamilton by and still gets a penalty? The track is used despite not being done and was only signed off for safety 3 days ago? Mazespin REALLY rear ends someone and takes out half the damn field including Perez and gets no penalties?!? And how is DRS allowed on the last straight like that? 

Man I know the FIA and F1 play games, but this WWF levels of absurdity. RB and Mercedes are both playing dangerous games that even Ferrari of the oughts wouldn't dare try and neither Max nor Lewis deserve to be where they are. They both drive like idiots.

Could have not have said it any better my ownself.....fist bump brah!!!

wae
wae UberDork
12/5/21 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I hate to be in a position to defend Mazespin, but I'm pretty sure that Checo was already crashed out before that happened.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/5/21 5:07 p.m.

In reply to wae :

IIRC someone else turned Checo into the wall. Mazepin ran into the back of Alonzo, they were both in front of Checo i think. In any event Mazespin didn't "take out half the damn field".  

They saw there were issues with standing starts in the F2 race, Masi should have learned from that and had the field do rolling starts after the red flags IMO

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 5:08 p.m.
wae said:

I hate to be in a position to defend Mazespin, but I'm pretty sure that Checo was already crashed out before that happened.

Checo squeezed the Ferrari, then crashed, and the Williams immediately stopped, leaving no room for Mazepin to react at all.  

This track sucks.  

If this was an open track, cars would have been able to exit the track and survive that.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 5:10 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wae :

IIRC someone else turned Checo into the wall. Mazepin ran into the back of Alonzo, they were both in front of Checo i think. In any event Mazespin didn't "take out half the damn field".  

What I saw was Checo really squeezing a Ferrari into the wall- so it was either wall or Checo for whoever that was.  So he spun.  Reacting cars slowed fast, and Mazespin (chuckle) could see nothing.  There was nothing he could do, for once.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 5:12 p.m.

WRT Bottas backing up the field for the double stack, Red BullE36 M3 got that back with the free pit stop for Max in the red flag.  So that went both ways.  

Where I saw them mess up for real was putting Max out on mediums with most of the race to run.  He was in bad shape when the first red stopped the race- so there was no real data to suggest he could finish the race in any strong manner with that set up.  It appeared to me that Red Bull was given a gift, and then gave it back.

12/5/21 5:13 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Everybody else stopped but Mazepin. He's a terrible driver with low awareness and has been all season. He never should have gotten a Superlicense to begin with. See WWF absurdity...

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/5/21 5:14 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

You're right, i thought i remembered seeing Mazepin's car from Checo's onboard but it was an image after he spun around and knocked off his front wing on the wall. 

Anyway, for once Mazepin didn't cause the wreck.  And i do agree this race was not well run by race control. Anyone heard about the Steward's meeting yet?

12/5/21 5:14 p.m.
alfadriver said:

WRT Bottas backing up the field for the double stack, Red BullE36 M3 got that back with the free pit stop for Max in the red flag.  So that went both ways. 

Backing up the field is against the rules. Changing tires in a red flag is not. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/21 5:16 p.m.

And whatever penalty he would have gotten was evened out.  Big deal.  Red Bull had their chance.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b3qu6AxNdrz7TLIvlBDiRS5mmUYwAlEo6KfZeXe5ScXCan5LDMAr3lHORIGXn2GE