Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/23/22 8:02 a.m.
759NRNG said:
loosecannon said:

In reply to BrewCity20 :

I have heard experts like Gary Anderson talk about the teams tailoring the car to a certain driver to the detriment of the other driver. If a driver prefers a pointy front end (as an example) and the team develops the car in that direction, it could be really hard for another driver who prefers a stable rear end to wrap his/her head around the set up. Sure, things like wing angles or sway bar rates could be changed but the overall concept that is so carefully developed in the wind tunnel and the shaker rig is not going to suit the other driver. 

OK.....so RB is so confident that MaxV  has it all going on that Checko can be flicked to the curb like a booger??!!!???....sorry may be a bit simplistic but HUH?!?!? what is the underlying motive to execute this drama????.....cuz they can???   Iffen I were holding  the purse strings ...all my ponies to the front regardless of finishing position....points are points right???

Not really.  Max has earned the place as #1 driver because he liked the car he was given a few years back.  The design philosophy has remained the same, because Max has been successful with it.  Ricciardo was OK with it, and as such, scored good points.  The three interim drivers were not comfortable, and did not have success.  Checo has figured it out.

As a team, it would add several degrees of difficulty to attempt to build the other drivers car to handle differently.  Setup changes, sure.  A different base?  Nope.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/22 10:09 a.m.
759NRNG said:
loosecannon said:

In reply to BrewCity20 :

I have heard experts like Gary Anderson talk about the teams tailoring the car to a certain driver to the detriment of the other driver. If a driver prefers a pointy front end (as an example) and the team develops the car in that direction, it could be really hard for another driver who prefers a stable rear end to wrap his/her head around the set up. Sure, things like wing angles or sway bar rates could be changed but the overall concept that is so carefully developed in the wind tunnel and the shaker rig is not going to suit the other driver. 

OK.....so RB is so confident that MaxV  has it all going on that Checko can be flicked to the curb like a booger??!!!???....sorry may be a bit simplistic but HUH?!?!? what is the underlying motive to execute this drama????.....cuz they can???   Iffen I were holding  the purse strings ...all my ponies to the front regardless of finishing position....points are points right???

Of all the teams, Red Bull has consistently shown the willingness to work a car around their #1 driver ever since Horner took over.  So is it *that* shocking that they would develop their car around a talent like Max?  

Perez was brought in to do a better job protecting him- giving the team a better shot at both a drivers and team championship.  Hardly being flicked to the curb like a booger- that was Kivyat, Gasley, and Albon who got casually flicked.  Horner has been searching for a better #2 since Riccardo left, and now they found one.

Red Bull hasn't been in a position to finish consistently 1-2 since Danny Ric left.  Checko does bring that, and they will do their best to make sure he will be #2 in the finishing order.

One other thing with this Max v Checko thing- if Checko had all of what it took to win a WDC, Red Bull would have never let him go.  So, yes, IMHO, Red Bull does think that Max has everything it takes- or at least it seems obvious to me given the last few seasons.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/23/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I would say Checo and Max are closer to a Mika and DC dynamic, Mika was always the golden boy, DC was no slouch. I imagine that if DC would have stayed at Williams that he would have snagged atleast one championship.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Given where Checo is in his career, I would not give a crap about Max and want to win all the time.  Unless it was in his contract that he had to let Max pass for the lead.  He's almost done- had it not been for Red Bull picking him up, he would have had to move on- after a pretty strong F1 career.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
6/28/22 12:08 p.m.

This makes me sick. Like him, don't like him, there is just no room for hate in this world.

Please please please stop the bull E36 M3 people (not people here, people of the world). His race has nothing to do with his driving. Just another case of an ignorant person trying to cut someone down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10960473/Shocking-footage-emerges-Nelson-Piquet-calling-Lewis-Hamilton-N-word.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/22 12:36 p.m.

Piquet who? 

The former driver - whose daughter Kelly is dating Hamilton's rival Verstappen - had suggested Hamilton pushed Verstappen off the track on purpose, ending his race. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/28/22 12:43 p.m.

*eye roll* What the heck is wrong with people?  Surely if you dislike a driver enough you can come up with something better than that, can't you?  It's not even creative or imaginative.  It's just rude, boorish, and ignorant.

Enough about that has-been, though.  How about that Silverstone?  How many Ferraris are going to be on the front row versus how many will see the checkered flag?

adam525i
adam525i Dork
6/28/22 12:55 p.m.

Max and Kelly competing to see who's dad is the bigger shiny happy person. (stolen from Reddit lol)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/22 1:09 p.m.

I'm hoping Mercedes can make something happen at Silverstone. It's Hamilton's happy place and it will hopefully suit the car. If the Red Bulls and a Ferrari are two are scrapping, it may open up some interesting options. Plus, it rains in the UK :)

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/28/22 1:42 p.m.
adam525i said:

Max and Kelly competing to see who's dad is the bigger shiny happy person. (stolen from Reddit lol)

Heh.  At least Max doesn't have a brother who deliberately crashed to benefit his teammate.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/28/22 2:42 p.m.
NY Nick said:

This makes me sick. Like him, don't like him, there is just no room for hate in this world.

Please please please stop the bull E36 M3 people (not people here, people of the world). His race has nothing to do with his driving. Just another case of an ignorant person trying to cut someone down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10960473/Shocking-footage-emerges-Nelson-Piquet-calling-Lewis-Hamilton-N-word.html

I'm a huge Hamilton fan, and I couldn't care less about Nelson when he drove, as I pulled for Prost.  Having said all that...  in certain languages, the color black is expressed a certain way.  It seems like a lot of misunderstanding.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
6/28/22 2:51 p.m.
racerfink said:
It seems like a lot of misunderstanding.

The Brazilians in my iRacing league agree that the context it was used in was explicitly as a slur.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
6/28/22 2:52 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Maybe, I have read a good half a dozen pieces on it to try to separate the wheat from the chaff. If it is a misunderstanding then Piquet needs to get to the mic real quick and say hey I am sorry, this was a big misunderstanding. People make mistakes, language nuances can be a barrier but as flapped up as this is already if you didn't intend to denigrate the guy you should be saying that loud and clear.

Edit: from what I have been able to find I don't think he was saying he was a nice person, it was a slur intended to put him down for being black.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/28/22 3:26 p.m.

Well, that's unfortunate on Piquet's part then. Certainly tarnishes his legacy in my eyes.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/28/22 3:33 p.m.

Piquet is a known a**hole and a serial offender of F1 drivers he doesn't like.  He knew what he was saying, and in what context.  He's pretty much the least popular Brazilian racing driver for just that reason. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/28/22 3:59 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

I think Helio would choose Emo over Piquet.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/22 11:06 a.m.

I've done some reading on what Nelson said.  The word was Neguinho which can be used both as an affectionate term and a racial pejorative depending on region and context.  The closest word I can think of is the C word, although not the same.  If you call someone a C word in this country (USA) It's basically always as an insult, slur or meant to denigrate in someway.  The Aussies, and to a lesser extent the Brits, can use the same word both as a pejorative, and a term of endearment.

So, was it meant as a racial slur? Maybe, maybe not. But just like the boy who cried wolf, with Piquet's history of purposefully deeming, insulting, rude, unsportsmanlike, ungentlemanly behavior and comments, he loses the ability to claim he's been misunderstood. If this was a person who was always known as polite, open, accepting, then yes, we could pass this off as a slip, or a misunderstanding. But Nelson is someone who used to openly call another drivers wife ugly, and has been proud of his antisocial behavior, so he gets judged by his past, frequent and repeated actions.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/22 11:15 a.m.

It's pretty clear from context how it was intended, no matter how people try to spin the semantics to save Piquet from himself. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
6/30/22 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

It was a easy decision because it was Nelson Piquet, however Vips was ousted out of RB and if not for his ride already paid for he would probably been out of F2 and from what I read does not have the rep of Nelson P. It goes both ways.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/30/22 9:35 a.m.

In other news, Bernie gonna Bernie....

Bernie Ecclestone has said he would 'still take a bullet' for warring Russian dictator Vladimir Putin despite his bloody invasion of Ukraine - before defending long-term friend Nelson Piquet after he branded Lewis Hamilton the N-word. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
6/30/22 10:06 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

In other news, Bernie gonna Bernie....

Bernie Ecclestone has said he would 'still take a bullet' for warring Russian dictator Vladimir Putin despite his bloody invasion of Ukraine - before defending long-term friend Nelson Piquet after he branded Lewis Hamilton the N-word. 

Awesome, send him to the front lines. 

I wonder how much that POS made when they started racing in Russia the same year they took Crimea.

6/30/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Or what does Putin have on Bernie?  There are probably many people sweating bullets about what Putin could release, or may get released, when Putin's gone. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/30/22 1:45 p.m.

I don't think it's blackmail. Bernie was simply purchased and he has stayed purchased. He's never liked Lewis because Lewis won too much - and it would not surprise me if there was a significant racial component to that as well because Bernie is a piece of E36 M3.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/30/22 3:28 p.m.

Bernie has always liked saying controversial things just to annoy people.

6/30/22 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I am no Bernie apologist, but to be fair I've read he did help LCH early on as he could see a) the talent and b) the opportunity of having a minority driver, and an outstanding one at that, in F1.

Note, that doesn't mean he is or isn't racist.  It's entirely possible to see value in something and support it even if he doesn't like it on a personal level.  It wouldn't be surprising if there is some racism in him based on many comments over the years, I don't know. I will just say he hasn't always been anti, or even neutral towards Lewis, he's helped in the past.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eddz1d1qF6aJsxKKZfvmebAjDbSh7zxeL7RZr9DSf95dlAXnjTR9WChnqXeI2v8Y