kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/7/22 2:25 p.m.

As a racer saying that the car on the inside has the right to unwind the wheel and run the car on the outside off track is complete bullE36 M3.

If your not clear of the other car you need to allow space,not sure about the euro attitudes on the art of overtaking.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/7/22 2:47 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Sounds like overtaking 101 at the Verstappen/Horner/Marko school of racecraft. frown

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/7/22 4:16 p.m.

Just a heads up that this is a sprint race weekend. All times in EST below.

PRACTICE 1       Fri    07:30 - 08:30

QUALIFYING    Fri    11:00 - 12:00

PRACTICE 2      Sat    06:30 - 07:30

F1 SPRINT         Sat    10:30 - 11:30

RACE               Sun    09:00 - 11:00

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 11:45 a.m.

Mercedes is very much clawing their way back into this championship, but is there enough time?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 11:52 a.m.

Perez gets into q3 even though he went off track on his fastest lap. Why did it take that long to see it?

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/8/22 11:52 a.m.

George looking strong in FP1, but then so are the HAAS - both in the top 10 again.....

MBZ had definitely improved and I think that should make for more fun races like Silverstone was last week.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/8/22 11:55 a.m.

Jinxed them then as Lewis bins it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 11:56 a.m.

Oops Lewis. Lovely gesture from the Dutch fans Cheering on his hard crash. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/8/22 12:06 p.m.

Once again the tv director showing us nothing while there is action on track. Lets do an onboard with Max while he does a cool down lap! Meanwhile Lewis and George are on hot laps and no info about sector times or shots of them. 

Seems like a gust may have caught out Lewis, hopefully he can have a good run through the sprint race but it will be tough to make up time on the RB and Ferrari's.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/8/22 12:08 p.m.

And now both out

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 12:09 p.m.
johndej said:

And now both out

I need to keep my typing quiet. Geez. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/8/22 12:10 p.m.

Sympathy crash from George

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/8/22 12:14 p.m.

My my my what have we here.....means nothing MB will prevail in the sprint tomorrow......NOT

wae
wae PowerDork
7/8/22 12:17 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Perez gets into q3 even though he went off track on his fastest lap. Why did it take that long to see it?

I was screaming at my TV during the live shot of that.  They didn't say a word about it, but it was plainly obvious how far over the line he was.

wae
wae PowerDork
7/8/22 12:19 p.m.

Oh, also, when quali was getting started, they were talking about some VW bus with a jet engine entertaining the crowd.  Where's that footage?

miatafan
miatafan Reader
7/8/22 5:57 p.m.

In reply to wae :

You called it

bruceman
bruceman Reader
7/8/22 5:59 p.m.

These F1 spectators that cheer when their hero's rival crashes are disgusting pieces of excrement. Does that happen in the USA?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 6:06 p.m.

In reply to miatafan :

Seems fair. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/8/22 6:51 p.m.
bruceman said:

These F1 spectators that cheer when their hero's rival crashes are disgusting pieces of excrement. Does that happen in the USA?

LOL I thought NASCAR invented that

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/8/22 6:53 p.m.

In reply to bruceman :

I take it you don't watch much NASCAR?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/8/22 6:55 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to miatafan :

Seems fair. 

I guess the loser there is Albon. He would have been in Q3 and might have picked up a couple of places. But not too many.

The Merc boys picked a good race to crash out of qualifying on - there's never a GOOD time, but there are worse times. The sprint race gives them a chance to take a couple of steps up the grid before the big show if they're truly out of place. Still not sure how I feel about those sprints, but people seem to enjoy them. I know I'd certainly prefer to see a sprint weekend in person than a non-sprint. More racing better.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

This will really be a racing test for these new cars- if this is a procession like last year....

Seems that one thing needs to happen- whatever softest tire is brought, it *barely* finishing the race. If it can mange. 
We'll miss the sprint, most likely, as we are moving campgrounds farther down state tomorrow. 

And Albon plus Williams could have taken that break. When you see times deleted immediately only to see this last all the way through q3, it's kind of frustrating. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/8/22 7:06 p.m.

We did have a sprint earlier this year, I had to look it up :) Italy. P1 and P2 didn't change, but Sergio got from P7 to P3 and Sainz got from P10 to P4. It could be argued that those two were out of place after quali, but it wasn't quite a procession from that regard.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2022/races/1109/italy/sprint-results.html

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/8/22 7:09 p.m.

HAAS double Q3 after double points last week!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/8/22 7:14 p.m.

The problem with the Sprints was that (at least last year) the penalty from crashing was so high (starting the real race dead last) that the upside of gaining one or grid two positions and maybe a point wasn't worth any risk at all in the race.  So everyone drove conservatively, protecting the position they already had so as to maximize points on Sunday.

There are more points available now, although I think they still only go to the top three finishers.  Maybe that will help?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s8vZNYz1Yn6h8sVWC4rTRD4r7mV3JkficFSvAKy3of5iCEIi8P1xhmIrPTb8AMdS