alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/8/22 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Forgot that race already. I may have not been around to watch.  

bruceman
bruceman Reader
7/9/22 7:09 a.m.
racerfink said:

In reply to bruceman :

I take it you don't watch much NASCAR?

Correct. I don't find it very interesting

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/9/22 11:34 a.m.

Sprint race was okay, the tv director left something to be desired as per usual. Allowing the inside car to run the outside car off the track if they weren't completely along side ruined what could have been some good racing also as per usual (Leclerc and Sainz, Hamilton and Mick). 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/9/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

And Verstappen and LeClerc at the start. Good thing there was the pit lane. 

JimS
JimS Reader
7/9/22 5:08 p.m.

I don't see anything wrong with the Sainz/LeClerc or Mick/Hamilton events. Just racing. I know Hamilton was whining but I thought Mick did a good job of racing him. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/9/22 5:36 p.m.

I agree /\

I have a feeling Max will run off and leave them again, this seems to be his favorite track - he looks smooth and fast on it.

Loved watching Sainz and LeClerc going at each other - even Sainz said afterwards that's the way racing is supposed to be - fun!

Mick and Hammy was fun to watch too, although I bet the Hamster didn't like it much!

intrepid
intrepid Reader
7/9/22 5:40 p.m.

Was Hamilton whining? I didn't hear that. I did wonder why he kept trying to go around Mick on the outside, which seemed unlikely to be successful. Then, I realized that he might just be tying to slow Mick down so that he fell out of DRS range with K Mag, which did work...

-chris r.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
7/9/22 5:43 p.m.
MiniDave said:

Mick and Hammy was fun to watch too, although I bet the Hamster didn't like it much!

I KMag had hung back to keep Mick in DRS range Hamilton would never have been able to get by Mick.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/9/22 6:32 p.m.

Mick did a great job holding Lewis off and I didn't see anything that looked questionable. It was kind of fun to think that Lewis took over Schumi Sr's seat at Mercedes, too. 

That move by Max at the start - trying to push the Ferrari into the next time zone - seemed a little questionable. Max is really good at this track, I'm not sure anyone's going to be able to challenge him.

Interesting that Checo wasn't able to gain on George when both were running in clean air. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/9/22 7:05 p.m.

The MB definitely has some issues that make their corner exits meh. Also, their powertrain seems to be, maybe, the worst on the grid!?!?! Or at least the MB team has issues as so far even if Lewis gets a great run out of a corner he always gets outrun by whoever he is trying to pass. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/9/22 7:48 p.m.

I think it was an ok race. Albon shows the Williams' new package has potential especially if Alpha/Haas/McLaren keep having such spikey performance event to event, Williams may start to get some points finishes. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/9/22 8:00 p.m.

All I thought while Lewis was chasing Mick:  Boy, did Mick go to school last week when he was chasing Max.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/9/22 8:27 p.m.

The leading cars in those fights didn't do anything wrong with how the rules are written now, defend the inside and the car on the outside has to back out at corner exit which kills their run to the next corner and lets the defender stay ahead (Albon/Norris being the exception where Norris was full alongside and should have been left more space). I personally think the racing would be better overall if the rule was written that if the outside car is significantly along side then the defending car would have to leave room on exit. That allows them to setup passes from one corner to the next etc. and I think more exciting racing overall.

Maybe if that were the case we might be that much closer to DRS being removed from the cars as well as the attacking driver would have a better chance of getting by.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/9/22 8:49 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I don't really like rules for driver behavior that is judged by a third party.  It would be nice if they work, but there are inevitably mistakes made, or interpretations that vary from steward to steward.  

I'm confident that this statement will cause an argument, but Max sure didn't get nearly as argy-bargy with Lewis after Lewis started to reset the operational paradigm between the two of them last year.

If your competitior is trying to push you off when you are substantially beside them, your inside front tire will probably do enough damage to the side pod and rear suspension that said competitior will think twice next time.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/9/22 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

But these drivers know it's not worth a bit of contact and the rules are in favour of the defending car on the inside as it stands. That's why we see them backing out of the pass as they get to the exit, they know the car is about to run them off the road. It's also why Max (or anyone) can just go deep to make sure he is slightly ahead at the apex whether he hits it or not and force the other driver off, we saw lots of that even after Lewis stood his ground (2021 Brasil, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan come to mind and were after Silverstone). 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/9/22 11:18 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

All I thought while Lewis was chasing Mick:  Boy, did Mick go to school last week when he was chasing Max.

I dunno, I never saw the "back off or we both crash" move. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/9/22 11:57 p.m.

So as a Hamilton fan I will say I thought Mick Schumacher did a great job.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/10/22 12:00 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:

The last one looked a bit iffy to me (lap 20).  Hamilton was alongside at the apex but had to back out because MSC was tracking all the way out.  The ones before that were fine though.

(edit: fixed lap number)

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/10/22 12:03 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

So as a Hamilton fan I will say I thought Mick Schumacher did a great job.

100%

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/10/22 12:16 a.m.

For anyone with F1 TV go back and watch the onbaords of lap 6-7 with Albon, Norris and Riccardo. They had a great race going and Albon but up a real fight with Norris. Of course we didn't see any of it in the broadcast.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/10/22 12:29 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:
Streetwiseguy said:

The last one looked a bit iffy to me (lap 20).  Hamilton was alongside at the apex but had to back out because MSC was tracking all the way out.  The ones before that were fine though.

(edit: fixed lap number)

Hamilton needed to be ahead (not alongside) by the apex (wherever that is) if he wanted to complete the pass, he wasn't so he had to back out or get run off the track.

Fusion66 posted this on page 56, it's worth the watch and goes into the passing rules in detail and how they are stupid lol.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/10/22 12:36 a.m.
adam525i said:

Hamilton needed to be ahead (not alongside) by the apex (wherever that is) if he wanted to complete the pass, he wasn't so he had to back out or get run off the track.

Yeah, I'm not arguing it was illegal, just that it was more aggressive than I think should be allowed.  Falls under the "back off or we crash" category that Keith mentioned.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/10/22 9:35 a.m.

Great racing again as 5 cars within a half second.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
7/10/22 10:08 a.m.

Track Limit penalty is getting a bit tiresome

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/10/22 10:14 a.m.

Surprised that wasn't orange smoke coming out of the Ferrari at this point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fo6TFcckVxlob1ZjU2fWSZmGFV4n0dGF8rC9Uti6ozPBXYOuILjsV4RcjSD7TPW4