Gambit
Gambit New Reader
7/10/22 10:34 a.m.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/10/22 10:36 a.m.

Some amazing racing today, from the front to back. 
Russell better not be too happy with 4th, else Red BullE36 M3 will bash him. Great day (relatively) for Mercedes to get 3-4 today. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/10/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Gambit :

As quoted, that was a proper engine failure. 

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
7/10/22 10:39 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Ferrari was absolutely on all day but they can only do one of 2 things.... No strategy and fast cars or all strategy and mechanical kabooms

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/10/22 11:02 a.m.

Charles had great pace today, it was nice to see legit and clean on-track passes for the lead. Bummer for Sainz, though. Kudos for keeping a clear head when dealing with a flaming F1 car that really wanted to roll back on to the track. 

Schumi has leveled up. 

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
7/10/22 11:45 a.m.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/10/22 1:25 p.m.

They were really getting serious about track limits in this race....

Mercedes has definitely made a step forward, I didn't hear anything about bouncing or porpoising all weekend - or last weekend - for them or anyone else? That said, they were still almost a lap down by the end of this race, so they clearly have a ways to go.... 

One thing about Mercedes tho - they are dead reliable - if they don't wreck they will be there at the end.

Congrats to Charles, he had the measure of the Red Bulls all race - I wonder why he couldn't win the Sprint race yesterday if he had this much pace? Ferrari really missed a great opportunity today with Sainz engine blowing up, I think they could have been 1-2 at the end.

HAAS has also clearly made a step forward, I have to believe a large part of it is a stronger Ferrari powerplant, but it's nice to see them consistently in the top 10 again. And I agree, Schumi has definitely gone up a level in his racecraft and overall performance. 'bout time too.....

Both Mercedes, but both Alpines and McLarens in the top 10 today too.....

I think it's time for Oscar to show up in a Williams uniform, Latifi is just not getting it done race after race.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
7/10/22 1:31 p.m.

That was an excellent race. I hated it for Carlos. He was about to take #2. 
the track limit thing is annoying to me. Just take them off and let them go. If it's paved they can run it. I understand that paved run offs are safer but put a big sausage curb and if they want to rip the bottom of their car off have at it. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/10/22 2:37 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

These are supposed to be the best drivers in the world,they manage to avoid concrete walls and armco of the street circuits so I want to see ALL tires stay inside the white lines.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
7/10/22 2:38 p.m.
759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/10/22 2:57 p.m.
adam525i said:

Surprised that wasn't orange smoke coming out of the Ferrari at this point.

The flames are orange does that count?

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/10/22 3:10 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

It was so casually done.....it really shows how much extra  capacity these guys have.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/10/22 3:27 p.m.
Gambit
Gambit New Reader
7/10/22 3:50 p.m.

My thought would be punish going over the track limits with super aggressive rumble strips or curbs to further tire wear...

In other news sainz was able to keep it out of the gravel at least. But what's up with vettel going off every other lap

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/10/22 5:17 p.m.

Nope, I think they should be able to keep the car between the white lines, if not - add time to their laps till they can.....

BrewCity20
BrewCity20 Reader
7/10/22 5:18 p.m.
Gambit said:

Did anybody see the slow motion replay of Sainz' failure where something flew out of the side of the car as it was coasting to a stop? What the hell was that?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/10/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Exactly,easy to police if its any tire anywhere on track.

When the same tracks had grass to the edges they stayed on the paved bits just fine.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
7/10/22 5:39 p.m.

It's just a silly waiting game on the track limits, one warning, two warnings, black and white flag, noted, 5 seconds. What the heck. Should they keep it in the lines? Yes, do they? No it's ok on some spots but not others. It's just inconsistent. I was waiting for Charles to pick up a 5 second penalty on the last lap. Then we would be watching 71 laps of replays of every car on every turn to question if it's legal. If it's not track it shouldn't be there. If it is they should be able to race on it. Or not but this shenanigans of warnings seems stupid. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/10/22 6:16 p.m.

Red Bull, Horner, Max, and their fans seem to be made for each other...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/10/22 6:45 p.m.
BrewCity20 said:

Did anybody see the slow motion replay of Sainz' failure where something flew out of the side of the car as it was coasting to a stop? What the hell was that?

Stuff that used to be inside the engine, probably parts of a rod.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/10/22 6:58 p.m.

That was a proper engine failure. Far more fun than a hydraulic problem in the transmission or something boring. Engine go boom and launch parts and catch on fire!

I wonder if it oiled the track at all? That very rarely seems to happen. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/10/22 7:11 p.m.
racerfink said:

Red Bull, Horner, Max, and their fans seem to be made for each other...

Come on, man. Not really fair to characterize an entire race team by a few bad apples in the crowd.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/10/22 7:39 p.m.

Maybe you missed the week leading up to Silverstone?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/10/22 7:51 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
BrewCity20 said:

Stuff that used to be inside the engine, probably parts of a rod.

That had to have been one of the best engine failures in a very long time- most of the recent bad ones have been great oil or gas leaks. This time, hardware punched holes in the body. 

Really- can anyone remember the last time parts skattered like that?  Maybe one of the early Honda hybrids?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/10/22 8:29 p.m.

HAAS!!!! Double points again!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MPxqYB7u8q0BT9VYdwMMGnQ2h8rgJaV3Hi5PPozn4vFHSovhiM99sTXv7QupkOOv