NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
9/11/22 10:41 a.m.

Agreed. RBR had them covered and Max deserved to win it. 

The Devries  situation has to show Williams that they have a driver issue. If Latifi had an appendectomy then they may have had 2 cars in the points. Not wishing that pointing to the challenge they have there. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
9/11/22 10:44 a.m.

Just starting to appreciate how good an investment Russell is. He is key to getting points for MB this year to stay in touch with Ferrari. 

I do think I agree with Jolyon Palmer's analysis about Zandvoort. MB could have double pit under safety car and had a better chance to win. But again the RBR is the best car this year so it would have still been a 2-3 for MB at best. 

wae
wae PowerDork
9/11/22 11:02 a.m.

It's definitely not a good day to be Latifi.  De Vries is certainly not just some chump off the street or anything, but to get trounced like that by a guy that's never driven an F1 car in anger before is pretty rough. 

Although, vandoorne did something similar a few years back and he didn't work out, so....

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/11/22 11:06 a.m.

Damon Hill says the quiet part out loud about Latifi.  I thought the commenter remarks to Toto (Let's not go there) we're hilarious. Seems that Ferrari (and Binotto) have figured out what the rest of the grid knows. Verstappen's RBR is the dominant car in 2022

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
9/11/22 12:26 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Damon Hill says the quiet part out loud about Latifi.  I thought the commenter remarks to Toto (Let's not go there) we're hilarious. Seems that Ferrari (and Binotto) have figured out what the rest of the grid knows. Verstappen's RBR is the dominant car in 2022

I thought the commentary with Wolfe and Horner was weird they sky team tried to both prod them to say something "spicy" and at the same time chided them for or for not saying anything about the end of 2021 season. At one point they seemed to chide themselves it was weird. 

I think Boinotto said Ferrari wouldn't win the title back at the start of the season. So don't fool yourself to think they are surprised that RBR had this race easily in the bag. 

Edit, I guess knowing how some Brits speak that "Let's not go there." comment was self directed as in the commentator telling himself to not take the interview there but saying it out loud to allow the person being interviewed TO go there. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
9/11/22 12:36 p.m.

It was amazing how easily Max carved thru the field at the start, then seemed to just bide his time behind Charles waiting for the first round of stops.

No question RBR have THE car this year, Max has won 5 in a row, and is easily on pace to beat Vettel and Schumacher's 13 wins in a season record.

DeVries had a good race and showed some real fire in passing at the chicane, but so did Schumacher - too bad he finished so far down the order. And what has happened to HAAS and KMag?

I'm not a fan of the yellow jammies, I hope Ferrari go back to the reds again.

I hope Alonso knows what he's doing going to Aston next year, they have had a LOT of retirements this season.

BTW, anyone notice that Indy cars have full windshields? Why hasn't F1 gone to these too?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/11/22 12:39 p.m.

For this group and their position on nascar, there are lots of calls here for a contrived finishing plan.

Green/white/checker.  Maybe stage racing would add excitement.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
9/11/22 12:51 p.m.
Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
9/11/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I prefer the current guidelines. But I concede, that for younger fans that maybe the guidelines can change. 

I can see going towards any kind of redflag in the last 10 laps or green white checker setup could lead to gaming of it all by the teams. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/11/22 1:11 p.m.

This race, too, is a lousy case for contriving a finish. Had Danny not blown up, the last five laps under green would have been a similar procession to the finish, with no position change anywhere.  They just would have been driving more quickly.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/11/22 1:14 p.m.

I don't see there being any reason to change the SC rules just to put on a show.  Just stick with the actual rules - it was the desire to "put on a show" that made last year's championship decider such a farce.

It wasn't going to be an exciting finish today anyhow, we lost nothing. That race really didn't have much going on anywhere. Max was on softs at the start so he just blitzed though the field right away and...done. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/11/22 1:20 p.m.

Last year's final was a farce in the end.

I don't believe in "drive bys" during SC.  If during the race a driver has been able to pass back-markers and get them between him and his competition, that advantage should not be taken away by the officials.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
9/11/22 1:21 p.m.

I was suprised how long they could go on a set of softs too.....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/11/22 1:34 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

I don't believe in "drive bys" during SC.  If during the race a driver has been able to pass back-markers and get them between him and his competition, that advantage should not be taken away by the officials.

I've never understood the unlapping procedure. If the purpose of the safety car is to gather the field up and control speed so marshals can be on track, how does allowing a big chunk of the field to pass the car and run around the track at a faster speed accomplish that?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/11/22 2:42 p.m.
MiniDave said:

BTW, anyone notice that Indy cars have full windshields? Why hasn't F1 gone to these too?

Indy cars has had them for a few years now. It is their version of the F1 halo. IIRC, the F1 guys didn't like having a windscreen.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
9/11/22 2:57 p.m.

Just stop the laps counting and ban tire changes during safety cars when there's less than 10 laps left in the race-problem solved

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
9/11/22 3:01 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

But.. what happens when they run out of fuel. Lot of teams are already on the edge wrt fuel loads 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/11/22 3:09 p.m.
loosecannon said:

Just stop the laps counting and ban tire changes during safety cars when there's less than 10 laps left in the race-problem solved

And so it shall be when you become FIA racing director when you're done with the Camaro.......wink

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
9/11/22 4:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

I've never understood the unlapping procedure. If the purpose of the safety car is to gather the field up and control speed so marshals can be on track, how does allowing a big chunk of the field to pass the car and run around the track at a faster speed accomplish that?

I think they have the track cleared before they allow the lapped cars to pass the SC.

In this instance, there was no debris just the car PARTIALLY on track with 5 laps or less so why didn't they just cover it with a LOCAL waving yellow and let the race run out?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/11/22 5:21 p.m.
triumph7 said:

I think they have the track cleared before they allow the lapped cars to pass the SC.

In this instance, there was no debris just the car PARTIALLY on track with 5 laps or less so why didn't they just cover it with a LOCAL waving yellow and let the race run out?

Yes, the unlapping happens after the incident has been cleared.  Essentially the the safety car period gets extended by 1 or 2 laps after it would have been safe to restart in order to clear the lapped cars.

Today's finish under yellow was perhaps disappointing, but ultimately the right thing.  Most importantly (and unlike Abu Dhabi) it complied with the rules as written.  Secondarily, it didn't artificially mess with the finishing positions that the drivers had earned based on their performance, just for the sake of "the show".  F1 is supposed to be a sport, not a lottery.

I mean, what would happen if at a football game they played til the 2 minute warning and then reduced the points gap to 1 point, just to improve the show at the end?  That's what an artificial green/white/checker is.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/11/22 5:32 p.m.
loosecannon said:

Banning tire changes during safety cars doesn't remove the chance aspect of them.  They tried it in 2008 and all it does is change things so that the driver who pits right before the safety car gets an advantage, rather than the drivers who waited until one happened.  This is the switch that allowed Nelson Piquet Jr to deliberately crash in order to give an advantage to Alonso (who had just pitted at what seemed like a very strange time) in Singapore.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
9/11/22 8:24 p.m.

I think they should have been able to remove Danny's car a lot faster.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
9/11/22 8:38 p.m.

I mean, I see it as, put yourself in a position to win and run up front. If there's a bad break at the end after you pitted and the yellow comes out, that's how it goes. Find something like Renault 2008 faking the caution, lifetime ban.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
9/11/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You know I think that the unlapping was around way back, (ha way back!) In the 80s 90s and into this century. It was stopped at some point then reinstated I think because some lapped cars were so hard to pass with prior aero rules. 

IIRC the other thing was that fans could figure out who was lapped or who was racing. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/11/22 11:04 p.m.

LOL. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mv2cpLiKnHKaxtDBrgQ5E0ToyHxxIXiV2bcwTFEJ7rJBZKB7H0ZJQLq1lbiK9x7e