MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
10/1/22 3:57 p.m.

Lewis will be there in the end, no doubt. Good point about this race often being decided by the safety cars.....

All bets are off it if rains tho.....

Charles has been in rare form in Qually this year, about the only bright point in his season so far......at least since the first three races!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/1/22 7:08 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Max was piiissed when he got called in from what was going to pole.  Apparently they hadn't fueled enough, and would have started 20th if they couldn't come up with the liter fuel sample.

Lewis may have a chance Sunday.  Ferrari will screw up somehow, Sergio may not have the needed speed, and Lewis certainly has had speed there in the past.

Might be a good race.

Does this play into the scenario that the RB owner wants MV to tank this so he can grab the title at the next venue in Japan where the bullets/Honda come from????

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/1/22 7:56 p.m.

I'm not sure Max would be willing to throw a race for marketing, especially if the WDC's at stake. I'm not sure he'd be willing to give up a race win period :) Seems like a pretty unlikely conspiracy.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
10/1/22 8:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm not sure Max would be willing to throw a race for marketing, especially if the WDC's at stake. I'm not sure he'd be willing to give up a race win period :) Seems like a pretty unlikely conspiracy.

Yes I understand the Vbrstz ego et al  ....with all else swirling(exceeding budget cap) around this really doesn't come as that much of a surprise....still I'll call chicken e36m3 on this if in fact it's legit from a directive? The first seven laps will be worth the price of admission.....ok maybe nine ...Go Checko!!!!!

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
10/1/22 8:46 p.m.

Did you all see Mercedes got fined 25K Euros?

Turns out the self scrutineering sheet they turn in before FP1 didn't match the facts - namely they said Hammy had taken out his nose stud, but he didn't. 25K fine for a nose stud!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/1/22 9:07 p.m.

The chances of Max clinching here are slim, even if he wins.  I don't see a conspiracy, and even if there is one, who does it hurt?

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
10/1/22 9:34 p.m.

If I wear the lucky Ferrari hat they are sure to make some strategic blunder just like they would mess things up if I don't wear the hat. 

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
10/2/22 1:07 a.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

The fine is for something worse than a nose stud. Mb self verified several things. You know like seatbelts are to the proper regulations, all Lewis has the proper fire rated suit and shoes, pressure tanks for the fancy pitstop torque tools are certified crack free, etc. And it has been found out that they lied. They didn't verify Lewis took all his jewelry off. So they didn't really self verify. Just checked all the boxes and handed it in.

Anyhow going forward Lewis won't remove that stud. Which he obtained medical documentation for a waiver due to the damage to his nose from removing it at prior races. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/2/22 8:02 a.m.

Wake up just before 8 (nice sleep) and find the race is delayed.  oops

They are talking that there still is a time limit that could shorten the race???  Am I still groggy from sleeping?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/2/22 8:05 a.m.

I went to watch and found out that Dish and Disney are in a money fight and I've lost ESPN. So no F1 for me today.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
10/2/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That stinks. I still recommend the F1 TV package. I think you may get a pass today though. Delayed start, rain, I think I rain has left me squimish after Spa last year. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a cluster. 

wae
wae PowerDork
10/2/22 8:13 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The race can be no longer than 2 hours total running.  That 2 hours doesn't have to be contiguous, but it does have to be inside of a 3 hour window.  That 3 hour window has started already, but the 2 hour clock hasn't started.  I'm trying to do the time conversions in my head, but I think they're starting an hour late?  Hour and five minutes maybe?  So that means if there are any red flag periods that pause the 2 hour clock, we may not get the full race time. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/2/22 8:17 a.m.

I wasn't really looking to add yet another subscription. No more live F1 for me for a while I guess.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
10/2/22 8:37 a.m.

The sky commentators said that the 2 hour limit is adjusted if the race start is changed before some point. So we still get the full race length because attending fans were notified early enough.....

We will see.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
10/2/22 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

https://v2.sportsurge.net/watch-7083-formula-1-singapore-grand-prix-2022

You might find something good there.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/2/22 8:43 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to alfadriver :

The race can be no longer than 2 hours total running.  That 2 hours doesn't have to be contiguous, but it does have to be inside of a 3 hour window.  That 3 hour window has started already, but the 2 hour clock hasn't started.  I'm trying to do the time conversions in my head, but I think they're starting an hour late?  Hour and five minutes maybe?  So that means if there are any red flag periods that pause the 2 hour clock, we may not get the full race time. 

As I was waking up, they did explain that the 3 hour window had not actually started.  Apparently the lack of actual start procedure didn't start the 3 hour clock.   Interesting.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/2/22 8:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I wasn't really looking to add yet another subscription. No more live F1 for me for a while I guess.

That sucks a lot- your viewing opinions are very interesting Keith- even if I disagree with them.  We will miss that- but not as bad as you missing the race.

wae
wae PowerDork
10/2/22 9:57 a.m.
alfadriver said:
wae said:

In reply to alfadriver :

As I was waking up, they did explain that the 3 hour window had not actually started.  Apparently the lack of actual start procedure didn't start the 3 hour clock.   Interesting.

Oh cool!  I had to walk away from it to get ready for Mass, but they were just saying that it has started.  Glad to know that wasn't the case!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/2/22 10:03 a.m.

For sure, a track that is no fun to watch.  Even with changing conditions, the passing is only coming via crashes.  Yuk.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/2/22 10:11 a.m.

Bummer for Alpine- just on the cusp of beig faster than McLaren, and then both cars don't finish.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/22 1:13 p.m.

That whole thing, except for Checos run, was pretty much a goat rodeo. 

Having said that, those conditions must have been horrible and difficult.  Checo and Charles looked wiped out at the end.  Max and Lewis both made unforced errors.  Almost half of the field was a DNF.  George ended up a lap down.  Difficult, to say the least.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
10/2/22 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Isn't that pretty much what I said too?

This was a long hard race, Checo drove brilliantly all race.....Charles looked like he gave it his all but used up his tires in the process.

Some treacherous conditions, all race long.....

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
10/2/22 3:10 p.m.

Checo's 5 second penalty hours after the race finished is just stupid. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/2/22 3:33 p.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

Checo's 5 second penalty hours after the race finished is just stupid. 

QFT.  And I really hate Red Bull.  But that's BullE36 M3.  They SHOULD have given the penalty during the race- the facts were there, and it was an easy call.  Red Bull assumed they got the penalty, and then dealt with it.  So Checo wins by 2.5 instead of 7.5 seconds.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
10/3/22 8:48 a.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

RB played it well knowing that a penalty was coming by bating Charles running off his tires, then easily built a lead. If F1 really wants to penalize someone they do what sports car racing which is a stop and hold in the pits. Which essentially ruins your race.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aWobL1LY41ZWfKa0LxwxqIf6ZGUOeisjuiCq1KGRxyXuEzgvePDSlSNzgU3D1HJ7