6 7 8 9 10
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/18/23 2:07 p.m.

One wonders how much the new control unit helped LeClerc's speed- he was really quick today, and the speed also means Max is 15th instead of 14th.  But to be that close to Checo is pretty impressive given their problems so far.

Lewis seems to be having a real confidence problem with the car, as it's so very important at this track.

Aston and Alonso get to start P2 tomorrow, which is pretty sweet for them.  

Between Charles and Fernando, those are some interesting cars for Max to pass....

adam525i
adam525i Dork
3/18/23 3:08 p.m.

Stroll had a good start to his final lap but you could see him overcook it through the middle sector in one of the left/rights. Should be an interesting race tomorrow. It will probably still end up 2 x RB on the podium but there are a bunch of cars that could take third

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/18/23 7:04 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Max has the speed to catch Alonso for the lead ;)

Too bad 3 drs zones will limit how much wheel to wheel actually happens

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/18/23 8:12 p.m.

Max is in podium position in well under 10 laps.  The only question for me is, what lap does he pass Checo?

Not hopeful that it happens, just realistic.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/18/23 8:16 p.m.

Remember the years up to 2020 where the Merc just looked stable, smooth, fast, easy?  I see that in the Aston this year.  Fernando looks so fast...

Edit: Ignoring the RB...

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
3/18/23 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I was thinking 15-20. I also figured it would take him long enough that Checo would have a big enough gap that he wins. Max 2 and probably Alonso 3, maybe Carlos. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/18/23 8:20 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Your finishing order seems close.  I'm hoping Checo gaps the field enough.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/18/23 8:28 p.m.

I can see Stroll or someone knocking out Max too if he gets too impatient moving up the field, will see if racecraft has improved for both.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/18/23 8:40 p.m.

You guys are forgetting how big of a hole Horner is- he'll call Checo back even if he's 30 seconds up.  Gotta get max to win.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/18/23 9:01 p.m.

I'm honestly rooting for Alonso to win this one. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/18/23 9:23 p.m.

I think Max will be fine.  He is far less argey-bargey since he won his first* championship.

Plus, that thing is a rocket down the straight.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/19/23 1:38 p.m.

Not sure I understand why that was a full SC instead of a VSC- Stroll was off the track, and they could have pulled him farther without being exposed.  Works out for Hamilton, but it's not the fastest car....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/19/23 1:43 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

So the answer is an error in GPS for Stroll's car- noting it was on instead of off track.  Oh, technology.  I know I've been seen on totally different roads in my GPS, lol.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
3/19/23 1:44 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I was thinking 15-20. I also figured it would take him long enough that Checo would have a big enough gap that he wins. Max 2 and probably Alonso 3, maybe Carlos. 

I was in the game, 24 laps to podium position. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/19/23 2:10 p.m.

Looking like the hard tire problems the early cars had isn't being shared by anyone now, and the mediums are not really durable enough to be competitive at the end of 30 laps.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
3/19/23 2:28 p.m.

This was a good race. I renew my request to the FIA to allow cars to take a grid drop and earn extra points for passing. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
3/19/23 2:38 p.m.

Also the FIA needs to fix the penalty E36 M3. I don't see how that isn't a penalty for I properly serving a penalty but the bigger issue is 40 minutes after it happened it is a conversation. That should be decided in minutes. Not a question mark with 2 laps to go. 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
3/19/23 2:50 p.m.

OK, that is bullE36 M3!  The initial infringement was stupid anyway but they served the penalty from what I could see.  Then to give them a 10 second penalty is total BS.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/19/23 3:27 p.m.

The rule makers are bent.  The Alonso situation is stupid on several levels.  Also, it's obvious that Max has pictures of all the FIA directors blowing goats, because a full SC for Strolls car was way over the top. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/19/23 5:12 p.m.
triumph7 said:

OK, that is bullE36 M3!  The initial infringement was stupid anyway but they served the penalty from what I could see.  Then to give them a 10 second penalty is total BS.

While it seems stupid, a 5 second penalty means nobody can touch the car.  Not even a jack.  So IF (and I've not seen it clearly) the rear jack man has his jack against the car, he wasn't serving the penalty.  As for the original penalty- he wasn't in the box, and Fernando seemed to know he did that.  Very much a rookie mistake, not something he would do.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/19/23 5:14 p.m.

Just watched the highlight video.  Yeah... the penalty thing is totally effed up.  At least when NASCAR does that sort of thing, they have a steward standing there letting the crew know when the time is up. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/19/23 5:40 p.m.

Does anybody doubt that Red Bull is going to win every race this season? I am really cheering for Alonso and the mid field battle is pretty interesting. Too bad we won't see any other team battle for the top spot :(

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/19/23 5:46 p.m.

I'm not prepared to give Red Bull every win, but based on reliability or luck, not speed.

There is speed to be found at Merc and Aston, speed and decision making improvements at Ferrari.  The potential for a win on pace at the end of the season is there, but golly gee whiz, I'm not sure about that.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
3/19/23 5:49 p.m.

I so wanted Alonso to win that race. I am glad Checo didn't slow down to let Max the baby win. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/19/23 5:49 p.m.

What I would really like to see, although I doubt it, is for Checo to put up a legitimate fight for P1 every week.  I'm not confident he has the talent, though.

Having said that, I'm super happy when an old guy gets a good ride.  I'm even happy for Fernando, and I think he's an shiny happy person.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mGrxqvyJpCydLHmqavO3Ay66o5teBMpFUZkYhyAsQdsq2HvJc5Hb7TMNMSFEBYuM