1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/12/11 7:00 a.m.

I think those of us who want to do a GRM type deal for the Austin Formula 1 race should put their names in here and anybody who can get a deal etc, let the rest of us know.

I will be there

http://formula1unitedstates.com/

1. Aussiesmg and Mrs
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/12/11 7:14 a.m.

curcuit promo

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/overview.html

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
8/12/11 8:03 a.m.

I just read the race will be held in November . . . .I WANT to go!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/12/11 8:11 a.m.

I WILL make it to this one. I almost went to Canada...but then I didn't.

jonny330
jonny330 New Reader
8/12/11 8:38 a.m.

I am going, that track looks so cool.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/12/11 9:10 a.m.

If it is moved to November I will have a better chance of going, though the June date would have made for a hell of a bachelor party.

TracksidePrints
TracksidePrints New Reader
8/12/11 9:24 a.m.

DEFINITELY going!!

jonny330
jonny330 New Reader
8/12/11 11:13 a.m.

are they putting new hotels near there or inside the complex? looks like the closet hotel to the track build site is at the airport, i am ready to book my trip today.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/12/11 11:15 a.m.

I doubt the new hotels will be finished. Until there's a track there's no need for a hotel in that area.

We're looking for hotels to make reservations ourselves.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/12/11 11:59 a.m.

What are the actual dates? I found one mention of the 18th Nov. is that correct

coll9947
coll9947 Reader
8/12/11 12:12 p.m.

I'll be there for sure.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/12/11 12:13 p.m.

We need to find a hotel that can deal with GRM types (Note: do not use Gainesville as a reference)

LJD
LJD New Reader
8/12/11 4:13 p.m.

I live in Corpus, 3.5 hours away. I will go or die trying.

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
8/12/11 10:08 p.m.

All over it.

If you're going to visit Austin, which in my opinion is the best city of its size in the country, make sure you stay in a spot near the great food and nightlife.

You should be able to get $100/night priceline deals downtown or near campus. Believe it or not the AT&T Conference Center on campus usually has great rates if there's not a conference scheduled.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/13/11 9:32 a.m.

While I realize F1 is definitely NOT grassroots. Because it is what we all aspire to be one day when we grow up and get rich, I'm thinking a GRM tent & activities!!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/14/11 8:02 p.m.

Exactly what I was thinking, but getting some ground inside the venue will take a serious contact.

Bueller, Bueller....

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/14/11 10:35 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Exactly what I was thinking, but getting some ground inside the venue will take a serious contact. Bueller, Bueller....

It will probably be easier this year than at any other time. And once in, it will be easier to get in next time.

Now is the date truly Nov 18th. I've heard so many times that it's not official yet.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
8/15/11 7:15 a.m.

I plan on being there.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
8/15/11 7:34 a.m.

Still thinking about it.

The November date is very close to one of my wife's big birthdays. This may count as a present.

element6
element6 New Reader
8/15/11 11:55 a.m.

i'm still amazed they think this will work. I went to quite a few US Grand Prixs at Indy and the crowd was by no means record breaking. I was actually there for the whole Michelin debacle.

So they say ok let's go further south? I give this event the extent of it's contract and will not return.

I'd rather just go to europe to see F1.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
8/15/11 1:52 p.m.
element6 wrote: i'm still amazed they think this will work. I went to quite a few US Grand Prixs at Indy and the crowd was by no means record breaking. I was actually there for the whole Michelin debacle. So they say ok let's go further south? I give this event the extent of it's contract and will not return. I'd rather just go to europe to see F1.

Having been to two of the larger European races, the 2 races I went to at Indy were WAAAAAAAYYYYYY larger in terms of turnout than Spa or Monza were. IIRC, the largest Euro race is consistently Silverstone, at about 100k attendees.

Indy was typically not close to sold out at 200k. Especially compared to the best of the best CART and NASCAR turn outs at ~600k.

So, relative to Indy, no, F1 was not a success. Relative to the rest of F1, however, it was a smashing success. As hard as it may be to get in and out of the track in Austin, I'll go out on a limb and predict ~100k.

jonny330
jonny330 New Reader
8/15/11 2:19 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: All over it. If you're going to visit Austin, which in my opinion is the best city of its size in the country, make sure you stay in a spot near the great food and nightlife. You should be able to get $100/night priceline deals downtown or near campus. Believe it or not the AT&T Conference Center on campus usually has great rates if there's not a conference scheduled.

any recommendations? how far away from the track is that?

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
8/15/11 3:02 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

maybe they'll open the evaculanes so people can get there faster

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trv/hurricane/i10_contraflow.pdf

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/15/11 3:07 p.m.

If they have more than 100k there this year it will be a nightmare. There's so much around the track that won't be completed by that time.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
8/15/11 6:24 p.m.

I hope to make it there!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QiUeGugOn8AVR5XDIl5NxNpmrKuLHjRvxVwx0vhB2vVJkTdEI8HkGdCTdoIeYwvc