T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/1/18 6:05 p.m.

Max won, but only because he hit Kimi while overtaking. Pretty sucky move to be the one that determines the race. 

Interesting with the mechanicals, but good for the mid field teams. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/1/18 6:10 p.m.

Good job by Grosjean. He needed that result. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/1/18 7:46 p.m.
T.J. said:

Max won, but only because he hit Kimi while overtaking. Pretty sucky move to be the one that determines the race. 

I think it could be argued that Kimi came into him.  I call it good, hard racing.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/1/18 8:23 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
T.J. said:

I think it could be argued that Kimi came into him.  I call it good, hard racing.

This. Max established his spot, Kimi turned in on him.  
Were it anyone other than Max driving the RedBull no-one would have batted an eye.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
7/1/18 10:11 p.m.

Kimi certainly didn't complain after the race and he always complains about something

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/1/18 10:47 p.m.

The reason people watch Max closely when it comes to contact is that he does it a lot.

Just rewatched the start again. Man, those first couple of laps were spectacular. Bottas pulled off some great moves, Kimi splitting the Mercedes was so precise and Max took full advantage of what was going on.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
7/1/18 11:07 p.m.

We are a Hamilton house so while I was bummed I was also glad to see such great scraping. 

Kimi and Max raced each other hard and they seemed OK with it.

just when you thought certain positions were settled, boom it changed in an instant.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
7/2/18 3:52 p.m.

I was very entertained from start to finish.  Glad Grosjean finally strung a weekend together.  A great, strong result for him and KMAG, who is now like 7th in the championship.. By my math, they jumped ahead of Force India and McLaren for 5th in the constructors.  

Max and Kimi was a racing incident, no fault there.  I felt bad for Valteri because he had a great quali and salvaged a bad start.  I felt worse for Danny on his birthday.  A double podium 1-2 would have been bananas at the Red Bull Ring.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/18 5:29 p.m.

KMAG pointed out in an interview that he's the best of the rest. Of course the big six drivers are dominating the championship, but Magnusson is winning the rest of it!

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
7/3/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner : As much as Leclerc is in the lime light for the Ferrari ride, I am surprised their is no consideration for Kmags. He has really come along way, on being more consistent.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/3/18 10:42 a.m.

It would be sweet to see Kimi go to WRC, KMag go to Ferrari, and LeClerc go to Haas. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/3/18 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Alonso to Indy cars, Kimi to McLaren, LeClerc to Ferrari. 

That's my guess. 

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
7/3/18 11:39 a.m.

i don't see kimi going to mclaren.  i don't see fernando staying either if they aren't consistent ~#7-8 after the summer break

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
7/3/18 2:21 p.m.

I can see Alonso going to Indy for next year to chase the 500 unless Renault and McLaren convince him, somehow, that NEXT year will really be the year. I don't think it's money he's after at this point.  Not sure about Kimi.  He's said before that he would end his career with Ferrari and I don't really see him as much of a car development driver like they need.  Then again, he still seems to be enjoying himself and and opportunity to keep racing just for the fun of it is always an option.  I'd like to see him in Nascar just because he's so polar opposite of those drivers and his one race in a truck was comical.

I think McLaren needs a strong and seasoned driver to help them continue to develop the car.  I'm afraid if they end up with two limited experience drivers, they'll drop straight to the bottom like Williams did.  Which would be really sad to see.

And it'll be years before it happens, but I wish Haas's next driver was an American, just to get us back into F1.

-Rob

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/4/18 8:36 p.m.

Apparently Maclaren has gotten out the ax.  Gil De Ferran has taken over from the dude with the odd name.

Perhaps I should have gotten more details before I posted...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/4/18 9:20 p.m.
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/4/18 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Nah, nobody expected Williams to do well the last few years. Tiny budget, two pay drivers, and no development. Claire is doing well with what she's got.

Boullier on the other hand was a (relative) idiot and should have been canned 2 years ago. McLaren as a whole is doing dumb things and the F1 team is suffering.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
7/5/18 9:46 a.m.

yeah Paddy Lowe was quoted on Motorsport.com this morning as saying "we don't boast about our performance, which is why we stay under the radar with regard to expectations" when McLaren was brought up.  Plus, they  haven't won a championsihp since the late 90s, while McLaren was there 10 years ago or so.  Both haven't won since 2012

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/8/18 8:35 a.m.

Pretty interesting first third of the race, lots of action, though some arguably heavyhanded work from the stewards with that penalty.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/8/18 10:18 a.m.

Interesting.  I think the Merc tire choice was correct for one car, wrong for the other. Lots of stuff going on all day, that's for sure.  I think maybe the finishing order would have been the same, even if none of the incidents had happened.  The winner was the right one today.

I hope that is vague enough to avoid spoilers for DVR folks.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/8/18 11:38 a.m.

Kimi learned the lesson Max taught him last week, but got a 10 second penalty. 

Good job by Hamilton despite his whining  

Exciting race at the end. After first safety car, the announcers said they thought Bottas had it in hand. I LOLed knowing that he had 5 better drivers lined up behind him. The only surprise is that he hung on to 4th. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/8/18 11:40 a.m.

I don't think it was that Bottas is a bad driver, it's that his tires were done. He did a pretty good job holding off Vettel in that last sprint until the tires just gave up on him, and he managed to keep one of the best drivers on the grid behind him at the end despite skating all over the track.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/8/18 11:42 a.m.
SnowMongoose said:

Pretty interesting first third of the race, lots of action, though some arguably heavyhanded work from the stewards with that penalty.  

Weren't we just saying a week ago that 5 seconds wasn't enough of a penalty for spinning out the car in front of you? Seems like the stewards might have heard the rumbles.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/8/18 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

There are no bad drivers in F1. Me saying Bottas is not as good as the 5 drivers lined up behind him is not the same as calling him a bad driver. 

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
7/8/18 7:08 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

That's splitting a very fine hair as all of them are exceptional and all make the occasional error.

Bottas kept the fourth-fastest car out front for a huge portion of the race until the tires just gave out. Hammy and Kimi put on the best drives of the race with Hambone's mitigated a bit by his childish behaviour in parc ferme. 

And the allegations by Hamilton and Wolff that Ferrari are intentionally punting Team MB are some pretty low punches. I'm no big Ferrari fan but those accusations make me like Team MB even less; or at least two of its' members.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O7u9Q5b1gicxgp7VGwdmbPP71mpngXJVOuRryknP7WssY1YYGCkLQ2jsJBtc652C