trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/4/18 6:54 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

I agree DR could look like real genius especially if Honda becomes a dud with RB. Silly season rumors of Alonso to RB and Sainz B to Mclaren, Leclarc to Haas could be interesting. Just not sure if Alonso wants to have a F2 engine in the back of a RB haha. I am surprised that Renault didn’t try to get Alonso again. Perhaps the other scenario is Alonso to indycar, Norris to Mclaren, Sainz to RB and Leclarc to Haas.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/4/18 11:34 a.m.

Sainz has to sit still until Force India gets worked out. I think Ocon and Perez bring more sponsorship to the table so Williams would be happy with either. 

Sirotkin vs Sainz is an interesting analysis. IDK who brings more. 

Grosjean is another oddball. He might get dropped if there is a driver swap to add LeClerc to Ferrari, Kimi to HAAS, Sainz to McLaren or Sauber. Grosjean to French TV commentary. Some new rookie in the Ferrari pipeline joins Erricson.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/4/18 11:39 a.m.

I hope that Honda comes on par with Renault with better reliability.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/6/18 1:13 p.m.

Mansour Ojjeh has resigned from the Board or McLaren.   Mansour is the head of TAG Group founded in the 70's by his father.  He's been the money man and main partner since the modern ijncarnation of McLaren since the early 80's with Ron Dennis.  This is a massive blow to them.  I know his ownership stake has gone from over 50% to less than 20%

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/mansour-ojjeh-resigns-mclaren-chief-boss-f1-a8480086.html 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/7/18 9:01 p.m.

Stroll's dad bought Force India today.  So Stroll to FI with Perez? Where does Ocon and Sainz land? Does Gasley get RB?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
8/7/18 9:14 p.m.

I dunno where everybody is going but it's going to be interesting. Gasly to RB could be amazing or a disaster. It's well known that a drivers 2nd year in F1 often the hardest (yes, I know PG did a few races last year) and to get bumped up to the main show could be a big ask. However, he does have Honda experience and that could be helpful. Stroll is underperforming and having a team built around him won't help but I suspect Perez is going to be .75-1 second quicker than Stroll next year. I hope Renault gets their stuff together so DR can win races. It's been a great season so far

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/7/18 11:27 p.m.

All you have to do is knock over the first domino. Danny Ric did that quite nicely.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/8/18 6:25 a.m.
Javelin said:

Stroll's dad bought Force India today.  So Stroll to FI with Perez? Where does Ocon and Sainz land? Does Gasley get RB?

Given all the various groups that were lined up to get FI, I think that was the worst winner.  At least right now- in theory, I could be wrong, and Mr Stroll may set up an amazing Canadian team (which I really doubt will happen).  But it seems to me most of his money goes to get his kid in F1 as opposed to making a great team.

We will see.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/8/18 8:48 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

RB seat is tricky, I think people forget how young and immature Vers has been. On top of that he doesn't want Sainz in the seat, Ocon would be a rivalry see Perez and his first year. Gas is young would be another rival. Where Barrichelo when you need him? lolz Then there is the reliability and speed of the Honda engine, I guess we will see if what happens.

Then there is McLaren, are they ready to get the big Alonso salary off the budget and bring some drivers in that have money. The car is bare and they are not even close to be in winning form, to accumulate the sponsors needed. Vandorne has been a real disappointment, I really thought he would give Alonso a run for his money.

Who is Williams next ride buyer since Stroll left?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/8/18 9:41 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

The chance of a Perez - Stroll straight swap is a high possibility- since he brings a significant amount of cash and sponsors with him.  And he's a good driver who can develop a car.  That seems like a pretty decent possibility.

I'm also not sure if Alonso is really leaving in 2019, or for 2020.  Sometimes you hear he's going to Indycar next year, sometimes you don't.  Who knows.  

As for Verstappen- he's got that RB seat locked up.  While there are a lot of downsides, the upsides way out weight that.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/8/18 9:58 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

That will suck for Perez.  I feel for him.  I think he's performed at a higher level than people give him credit for in F1.  He was one of those who came into F1 with a less than stellar record, other than winning the 'National' lass in the British F3 championship, which is a second tier championship within a championship for older chassis, he never finished higher than 4th in any championship he contested.  Yet he seemed to fit in very well to F1 and was soon on pace with older more experienced team mates.  I wish  him well.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
8/9/18 12:32 a.m.

It is an interesting time of seat moves. I suspect that it will all be driven by sponsorship connections as the drivers moving around seem already tied to this contract or another. The only known move is Stroll to the new Force Maple. 

Looking forward to Spa in a bit. Still my favorite track.  It will be interesting to see if Ferrari can put it in pole. Hamilton likes this track but I have a feeling Ferrari will be faster. I read that all the engines will have new upgrades so it can swing either way I guess.

McLaren could just fall. They seemed an unstoppable force not too long ago. Not sure how all the sponsorship and pace left them. It wasn't just Honda like many want to say. It started before that engine deal. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/9/18 8:06 p.m.

Ross Brawn says F1 could go all electric in 10 years

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
8/10/18 5:41 a.m.

That would suck...pit stops actually being car swapssad

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/10/18 6:46 a.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

i agree it sounds a nightmare, but I doubt they would do car stops. Even Formula E is going full distance on one car from next season.

I also don’t believe that a) technology will be at the point to give the equivalent performance to 1,000 hp cars that can do 200ish miles in one go.  And b) I doubt you’ll get the teams to agree in that timeline.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/10/18 8:12 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Ross Brawn says F1 could go all electric in 10 years

So much for racing improving the efficiency of the ICE, I suppose.  

I don't think I'd be all that interested, anymore.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/10/18 8:44 a.m.

Yes, electric Formula 1 would be BRILLIANT!

People already complain about the lack of noise with the V6............so to solve the LACK of noise problem, let's cut the noise output by 90%. That will make the fans happy.

It's like these folks don't understand why viewership is down, which means budgets are down, and the general interest in motorsports is waning. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/10/18 8:57 a.m.

It seems kinda apparent that yall didnt read the article.

Ross Brawn says that it is possible.  He didnt say that is the way F1 is going.

In fact, the article points out that the 2021 rules are designed to make the cars louder as well as cheaper engines (to help level the playing field).

His main point of the article was that it was, in fact possible, but he was leaning heavily towards unlikely.  The only way they would go that route is if it was better for the spectacle.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/10/18 9:13 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

You are right, I didn't read it.  Just reacted.

Reminds me that I also don't read any article that suggests that Villenuve has said anything- he seems to just say stuff to make people mad.  So I dismiss any of his rants.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/10/18 9:40 a.m.

I feel the same about Villenuve. 

Yeah, I've seen for 2021 they are removing the MGU-H and changing the charging/release strategy (or is that next year as well with the increased 5kg of fuel.)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/10/18 3:08 p.m.

Force Maple is ok, but I think I prefer Force Canuck, eh?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
8/10/18 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

No, no-it has to be called Team Beaver

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/13/18 9:56 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac : I think too many people are sipping the Formula E kool aid. Fortunately F1 see's that FE cars are slow and can't make it around a proper circuit.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
8/13/18 10:26 a.m.

I have watched most of the FE races and they just aren't that exciting. I don't think it's because the cars are electric, I think it's because the tracks are so poorly designed. The stupid chicanes and hairpin turns just force drivers into single file racing. I like how they can follow each other so closely, Formula 1 could learn from that.

codrus
codrus UltraDork
8/13/18 12:24 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I like how they can follow each other so closely, Formula 1 could learn from that.

That's because Formula E is a spec chassis with spec aero.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5rovGu7gRIGLAFgyW6tkVTn76ehtJMDiaTOXh1nMBhUYrXADQXKNkV6r3tWZBdgm