Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
10/24/18 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yes MB made a mistake, the VSC pit was great. It put him in a place to cover Vettel and protect against another VSC or SC. First error was Hamilton didn't have to blitz up to Kimi. He just needed to get inside the VSC window to jump Kimi. After that mistake they then compounded it by not pitting Hamilton to slot in behind Kimi again. The risk there is that Kimi backs Hamilton into Max. And Max is probably the worst driver to be backed into!!!!

But Hamilton was right the first mistake was not getting a time in Q2 on the Ultrasofts. The start settled the race. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/25/18 7:21 a.m.

All this banter is still why I think it would be fun to give everyone a shot in the same car and see who can throw down the fastest lap.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/25/18 7:36 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Or just do this

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/25/18 7:46 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/25/18 8:27 a.m.

Or this

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/25/18 8:33 a.m.

Or this

I guess there are a lot of ways to skin the cat.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/25/18 8:54 a.m.

Pushing the boundries a bit, but there were a lot of F1 drivers in this.

XJR-15's at Monaco F1 race 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/18 9:47 a.m.

Of those suggestions, the Top Gear one is actually the only one that tests quali speed as opposed to race speed. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/25/18 11:18 a.m.

Tipped off on another board- Haas and Rich Energy have teamed up.  Or Rich Energy is now the title sponsor for Haas.

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/news-rich-energy-announced-haas-f1-team-title-partner?fbclid=IwAR1ozwYW6zL6I-CXc5_lZUo8ZyivbhFi9H9jQ3ZNoKxSbwlEfTzK7F5cfaM

If you are wondering, or don't remember- Rich Energy says they are in direct competition with Red Bull in terms of energy drink, and they also attempted to be one of the players who was going to buy out Force India.  

Should be interesting to see if this money will add significant pace next season or not.  

edit- being a Haas fan, maybe I will go out and try it.  The once I tried a Red Bull, I spit it out- pretty disgusting what people will drink for "wings".  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/25/18 1:08 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I seem to recall major doubts about the owner of Rich Energy and the company itself actually having the $$'s to buy or fun a team.  There's very little out there on the soundness of the business, just lots and lots of hype.  Let's hope Gene Hass has done his homework.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/18 1:48 p.m.
alfadriver said:

edit- being a Haas fan, maybe I will go out and try it.  The once I tried a Red Bull, I spit it out- pretty disgusting what people will drink for "wings".  

At one of the Land Rover National Rallies, Red Bull sent along a couple of coolers of Red Bull and two pretty girls to hand out samples. Everyone tried it. The next day, the girls were gone but they'd left the cooler with drinks in it. Nobody had any.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
10/25/18 1:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
alfadriver said:

At one of the Land Rover National Rallies, Red Bull sent along a couple of coolers of Red Bull and two pretty girls to hand out samples. Everyone tried it. The next day, the girls were gone but they'd left the cooler with drinks in it. Nobody had any.

The fact that Red Bull has managed to build a worldwide sports empire based on that awful stuff is truly amazing to me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/25/18 2:39 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I seem to recall major doubts about the owner of Rich Energy and the company itself actually having the $$'s to buy or fun a team.  There's very little out there on the soundness of the business, just lots and lots of hype.  Let's hope Gene Hass has done his homework.

This is what I was wondering. I thought I remembered seeing some article about the sales being very low, like a few million per year in revenue, and thusly, how did they have the cash to buy a team.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/25/18 5:26 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to alfadriver :

This is what I was wondering. I thought I remembered seeing some article about the sales being very low, like a few million per year in revenue, and thusly, how did they have the cash to buy a team.

They might be in better shape now that a billionaire has taken "a significant stake" in the company.  Supposedly, he did that on October 12th, so I wonder if his stake in the company hadn't finalized prior to Stroll coming in.  Regardless, HAAS has done well enough in F1 that I hope some cash infusion will have them nipping at the heels of the top three teams. 

If anyone finds the drink in the U.S. let me know.  I'd be willing to try one, but wonder if it's as readily available as some of the other energy drinks.

-Rob

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/26/18 8:59 a.m.

Same here, I'll go against the grain. I actually like the Sugar Free Red Bull, not the regular version. It takes like fizzy, smarties candies to me. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/26/18 9:29 a.m.

I don't think I understand Rich Energy at all.  You can have this err 'classy' gift set of wto cans and a vile of gold leaf vodka for only £208.33 (approx $266 thanks to BREXIT tanking the value of the GBP)  Or you can get a case of 24 cans for £20.00 ($25.61) but both come with free shipping....in the UK.

rich energy luxury gift box

The owner looks to be a fun dude though

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/26/18 9:41 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
alfadriver said:

That is pretty much the only time I ever drink Red Bull as well - when they give it away at mtn bike races. I don't mind a can once in awhile, but no where near enough to pay real money for one.

My guess is the Rich Energy owner has the money for the same reason Red Bull has the money.  Red bull doesn't actually own anything other than the name and drink recipe. All production is contracted. So their profits are fairly straight-forward and they plow it right back into marketing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/26/18 10:34 a.m.
rob_lewis said:
Keith Tanner said:

This year, though, a friend is racing in the F4 support race. Everyone cheer on Sabre Cook, folks, she's quick, smart and trying to work her way up the ladder. She may also be the only woman on track all weekend.

Sabre is cool and very talented.  Saw here many times at national kart races.

-Rob

Followup on Sabre: she crashed a little bit in quali so she ended up at the back of the grid. She then proceeded to pass 25 cars over the course of the two F4 sprint races and won the "hard charger" award for passing more cars than anyone else.

Better yet, she's also a freshly minted engineer - and she won the Infiniti Engineering Academy competition last weekend, which means she'll be working for the Renault F1 team for six months. That's awesome.

codrus
codrus UltraDork
10/26/18 10:39 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

The fact that Red Bull has managed to build a worldwide sports empire based on that awful stuff is truly amazing to me.

My impression is that most people who drink it are mixing it with vodka... 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
10/26/18 11:05 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
rob_lewis said:
Keith Tanner said:

This year, though, a friend is racing in the F4 support race. Everyone cheer on Sabre Cook, folks, she's quick, smart and trying to work her way up the ladder. She may also be the only woman on track all weekend.

-Rob

Followup on Sabre: she crashed a little bit in quali so she ended up at the back of the grid. She then proceeded to pass 25 cars over the course of the two F4 sprint races and won the "hard charger" award for passing more cars than anyone else.

Better yet, she's also a freshly minted engineer - and she won the Infiniti Engineering Academy competition last weekend, which means she'll be working for the Renault F1 team for six months. That's awesome.

That is very very awesome! Good luck to her!!!yessmiley

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/26/18 11:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
rob_lewis said:
Keith Tanner said:

-Rob

Fan. Damn. Tastic!!! 

I've got a senior about to graduate and pursue his ME, so I need to do some research on the Infiniti Engineering Academy....

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/27/18 2:06 p.m.

So after that qualifying- one can make a conclusion that Renaults core problem is about boost.  When altitude really reduces the boost advantage, Renault got a LOT closer.  And one can also make the conclusion that Red Bull STILL has the best aero package of the top three teams.

That was fun.

And it looks pretty bad for Vettel- he *has* to win and Lewis lower than 7th for this to go on.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/27/18 2:29 p.m.

Lewis is going to drive a very non-confrontational race laugh He'll have to screw up pretty badly not to finish in the top 6, and it doesn't look like a win is all that likely. If any of the Ferraris or Red Bulls come at him, he'll probably basically let them go.

It was pretty funny how Danny accidentally interrupted the Verstappen coronation. Glad to see that after what happened Danny in Austin.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/27/18 10:04 p.m.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/28/18 8:45 a.m.

Prediction at 7:45 AM- Lewis will be first or fourth after the first lap.  It is entirely possible that one of those outcomes involves a heap of smoking red and blue cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MXPSIbLLoRZAxi7RUSxySeRG7w4tzftVoSiYfBRYGTv3Ull8YeD7J9AnbYphAUca