Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
6/13/19 1:22 a.m.

Good to read other's views on it. I am all for the rule and the ruling. The intent of the rule was asked for by the drivers through the years. In the extreme, yes Vettel should have put his car into the left hand guardrail if it meant avoiding a crash. He got loose, ended up off track and tried to skate accross the grass and hold the car to the left hand side. He failed. He wasn't out of control as he wants people to think. I have seen many F1 cars touch dry grass and have some amount of control. He did his best but it wasn't good enough. If it is thought he was a passenger then wow great self driven F1 cars Batman!! wink His Ferrari neatly avoided the walls and put him back on the racing line. I wish my out of control moments were so nice.

So he piloted his car through that moment and in doing so breached the rules. I didn't feel it broke the racing spirit of F1 or requires any edits. In the future I hope they do the same. As in the end it is the only mechanism to control the intentional effort to win at any dangerous cost.

I never thought rubbing is racing. I may joke about it but I only once ever touched another car on track. That was when they spun across the grass in front of me and luckily we just touched and left scuffs. I am surprised how many repoerts I have read seem to think crashing=racing. 

codrus
codrus UberDork
6/13/19 5:42 p.m.
bruceman said:

Some drivers have shown the ability to drive amazing fast laps when they feel they've been penalized unfairly. Sadly Vettel does not have that ability. 

I haven't seen the lap time numbers for the end of the race -- anyone know if Vettel did manage to turn the speed up?  Or was it just that Hamilton had enough pace in reserve by that point to stick with him?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/13/19 5:49 p.m.

In reply to codrus :

Given that LeClerc was able to close enough to challenge for 2nd, he slowed down.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/13/19 5:53 p.m.
codrus said:
bruceman said:

Some drivers have shown the ability to drive amazing fast laps when they feel they've been penalized unfairly. Sadly Vettel does not have that ability. 

I haven't seen the lap time numbers for the end of the race -- anyone know if Vettel did manage to turn the speed up?  Or was it just that Hamilton had enough pace in reserve by that point to stick with him?

I think Seb was right on the very edge, since he blew the chicane.  Lewis was .8 sec behind him at that point, which is a pretty good indication that he was significantly faster, since its nearly impossible to get closer than 1.5 seconds and stay there in equal cars.  Lewis was told to stay right behind Seb, which he did.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/14/19 8:07 a.m.

Just read that Ferrari is withdrawing their appeal of the call.  There was a video that the stewards used which showed Vettel purposely moving to the right.  It was a CCTV video and basically it displayed Vettel fighting the car to get it back on the track.  Then as he was steering left, he took a look in his mirror; apparently seeing Hamilton behind him; releasing the wheel so the car would go right hence keeping Hamilton behind him.  

adam525i
adam525i Reader
6/14/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

So Vettel regained control of his car safely off the racing line (Hamilton was on the racing line) and then in a separate move used his one move to block Hamilton's pass? Just stirring the pot :)

I read through this yesterday and it was pretty impressive what Vettel was having to do in the cockpit to stay ahead of Hamilton throughout the race changing diff settings multiple times per lap, fuel saving almost everywhere so he could burn it down the straight to defend and getting as much charge as possible. The writer is obviously a big Ferrari fan - https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/c05umk/vettel_was_fuel_saving_the_whole_race/

Adam

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/19 9:43 a.m.

Other than the weather making the race though for teams, not much of a race 

wae
wae SuperDork
6/23/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

What?  The parade's over?  I guess I can wake up now.  The most exciting part was wondering if Norris was going to finish...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/19 9:54 a.m.

In reply to wae :

All the important drama was yesterday when seb showed that the mental cracks are very much there. 

Nice to see McLaren do well, sucks how Lando had to finish. But that is under investigation. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/23/19 1:09 p.m.

Can someone help me with Lando Norris accent?  Is from some part of England I've never talked to anyone from?  Was he born in Poland or Korea or Greenland and moved to England after he had learned to talk?

Nice performance from the Maclarens.  Huge step up from last year.

As much as I like Lewis as a driver, I wish somebody had something for him.  The Montreal race was sure fun to watch, until Seb screwed up.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/19 2:01 p.m.

I think the next best challenge will be Charles. Seb is over cooked. And for all of Honda’s upgrades, Red Bull has nothing to show of it. 

wae
wae SuperDork
6/23/19 2:27 p.m.

So several hours later... Danny Ric was determined to rejoin unsafely and then left the track to gain an advantage when he passed Norris and then Kimi, so 10 seconds and relegated to 11th.  Norris goes to 9th.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/23/19 2:46 p.m.

After watching that, the results of the penalty was kind of expected. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
6/25/19 5:21 p.m.

Boooorrrrring.

Glad to see McLaren back nearish the front.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/25/19 5:25 p.m.

I feel for poor Lando. "You think it's bad now, it's only going to get worse". His post-race interview makes it sound like it wasn't that big a deal for him, but driving a car knowing that it's failing underneath you cannot be good for your sang-froid.

Did anyone else catch the message to Charles? Basically, it was "is this the best you can do?". He gave a good answer with actual information, though!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/28/19 6:30 p.m.

Today I learned that Red Bull Ring is a track that punishes small mistakes.  FP2, Max knocked the rear suspension off- luckily, its his Friday transmission.  (Who knew?).  Bottas knocked the front suspension off, and hard enough there is talk of tub damage.  Vettel owes the gravel trap for keeping him from knocking the left side off his car.  The dumpsters behind almost everybodies garage are full of front wings from going over the sausage curbs .  

Lewis never got a clean practice quali lap on softs because of all the yellow flags and reds, and his hard tire lap ended up fourth overall. I don't think this will be a weekend for people to catch Merc...Well, Lewis anyway.  Valteri might have some issues after repair.

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
6/28/19 9:59 p.m.

i bought this yesterday, I'm a vettel fan and salty about Montreal. I would have liked to just have seen a position given to lewis and they fight to the end. but now i can forever be salty about the results and immortalize Vettel's antics in my collection.

from BBR models in Italy

adam525i
adam525i Reader
6/28/19 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I think they're all readjusting to consequences for making mistakes after the last track.

Adam

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/29/19 8:47 a.m.
adam525i said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I think they're all readjusting to consequences for making mistakes after the last track.

Adam

It’s interesting to see the drivers complain about the damage to the cars when they go over a meter off track....  maybe they need to put wet grass in those corners. 

Just as interesting as the small mistakes you point out that damaged Botas and Verstappen. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/29/19 9:03 a.m.

That was an interesting qualifying. 

adam525i
adam525i Reader
6/29/19 9:36 a.m.

Yeah, good to see a mixed up grid. We'll see what happens to Hamilton but I don't think he'll get a penalty (which will make all the Vettel fans super happy)

Adam

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/29/19 9:41 a.m.

Pole winner has won only 5 of the last 12 Austrian GP races and I think the Ferrari starting on softs will be Leclerc's downfall. I hope it will be an exciting race. Hey, I just noticed that they are broadcasting the Formula 2 race right now, I'm watching

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/29/19 10:36 a.m.

I’m not sure how Ferrari thinks that going soft-med instead of the other way around is the best way to attack this race. While they can make a gap faster, with such a short lap, and how close they are, they may put the cars in traffic. 

Both cars did that, but vettel starting 10th really messes with the plan. 

We will see. 

miatafan
miatafan New Reader
6/29/19 11:45 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Three place penalty.  Ham will be starting 5th.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/29/19 12:23 p.m.
miatafan said:

In reply to adam525i :

Three place penalty.  Ham will be starting 5th.

Anyone see the penalties for Kviayt getting blocked?  Hard track to avoid that, and Lewis earned that. Should make tomorrow more interesting. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AM2GjMNNUmv3SFXCNLo9qhJNSJRk5uGwEm7Jdqbx0zNhBxU5KQ479QVIFxpT5SXr