5 6 7 8 9
triumph7
triumph7 Reader
3/13/20 12:07 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Yeah, there was this one year at Indy............

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
3/13/20 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Understood.   And that was a cheap shot at F1.   But when you have a series that most of the cars are racing for forth...  There is something wrong with the series.

wae
wae UltraDork
3/13/20 1:32 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

The *cars* are racing for 7th.  The *teams* are racing for fourth.  Just to be pedantic.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
3/13/20 6:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Formula1.com says the season will start at the end of May. Four races cancelled or postponed - and given the nature of the schedule, I suspect that's the same thing. 

Look on the bright side, though. Four races into the schedule, and Williams is tied for first place in the championship!

So....if in fact the 'season' gets underway come May.....could the early events that were "cancelled or

postponed" be inserted into that time of the 'summer break'?

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
3/13/20 6:51 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I suspect not considering that the early races are "flyaway" and the ones either side of the summer break are in Europe.
More likely the races get rescheduled for later in the year if at all.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/13/20 7:08 p.m.

Just doing some free thinking, but if they shorten the number of races and Hamilton secures his 7th title, think they'll put an asterisk beside his name?  That would kinda suck if he was saddled with a "he won 7, but the last one didn't quite count" as it's not in his control.  Although, with less races to continue to develop the car, it could be argued that the races will depend more on the drivers than the engineers, thereby making it more impressive.

-Rob

adam525i
adam525i HalfDork
3/13/20 7:32 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

2020 was supposed to have 22 rounds, Shumacher's first title in 94 only had 16 so they can drop a few and still avoid the asterisk I think.

Adam

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
3/14/20 6:15 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Schumis first title also had illegal traction control so maybe we should put the asterisk on that one anyway.
1957 had only ten races, of which three were non-championship, and I don't see asterisks on Fangio either.

So long as there's a semblance of a season, the inevitable Mercedes title will be legit. Ish. I think DAS is brilliant but should be banned.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/14/20 6:54 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

Pshhh it won't matter because his WDCs #8 and #9 won't have asterisks.

wink

codrus
codrus UberDork
3/14/20 11:16 a.m.

It depends on how far they shorten it.  There've been a couple NHL seasons that have been shortened to about half their original length, and AFAIK there are no asterisks on the list of Stanley Cup champions.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/16/20 9:02 a.m.

Since the f1 season hasn't started I decided to watch some old f1 races;

1968 F1 British Grand Prix (full race) Great race and the sounds and looks of the cars are cool even though the video quality is not up to today's standards.

Formula 1 1985 Round 02 Portugal/Estoril Race (BBC) Classic Senna Rain race

Anybody have any others that would be good ones to watch?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/16/20 9:33 a.m.

I've been watching 2019 again. First Germany for the chaos, then yesterday it was Mexico. Man, I'd forgotten how many times people "turned in" on Verstappen. 

If you're watching old races, there are some vintage touring car races at the Crystal Palace on YouTube that are great to watch.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/16/20 9:42 a.m.

We were just watching Brazil 2019 this weekend.  Good stuff.

adam525i
adam525i HalfDork
3/16/20 10:15 a.m.

There is a torrent out there with complete seasons from 1979 to 2019 if you happen to know how those things work. It's 1.6 TB if you want it all but you can just select the seasons you are interested in before you start downloading. I'm going to relive 96 and 97 as I was just getting into the sport then as a kid following Jacques in those perfect wide slick tired Williams Renault's. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/16/20 7:58 p.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/17/20 9:17 a.m.
adam525i said:

There is a torrent out there with complete seasons from 1979 to 2019 if you happen to know how those things work. It's 1.6 TB if you want it all but you can just select the seasons you are interested in before you start downloading. I'm going to relive 96 and 97 as I was just getting into the sport then as a kid following Jacques in those perfect wide slick tired Williams Renault's. 

Was it 07 that Hamilton lost the championship in China?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
3/19/20 12:51 p.m.

Probably no surprise to everyone, but F1 has officially postponed the Dutch, Spanish and Monaco GPs..

https://racer.com/2020/03/19/f1-postpones-dutch-spanish-and-monaco-gps/

And they have postponed the 2021 Regs!

https://racer.com/2020/03/19/update-f1-postpones-2021-regulations/

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/19/20 2:42 p.m.

This is a never in a million years chance of happening, but how cool would it be if IndyCar and F1 were able to do a dual race weekend at COTA?

That is, provided COTA is still around by then....

-Rob

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
3/19/20 5:19 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

If not COTA maybe Indy road course. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/19/20 7:42 p.m.
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/20/20 7:09 a.m.

Formula 1 just announced they are replacing some actual races with virtual races. I would definitely watch this to see what happens unless it going to be a couple of current F1 drivers and a bunch of other people I've never heard of. The problem is that playing a video game is not like the real thing and a person can be the best at one and the worst at the other. I'm guessing Lewis Hamilton would come in DFL in an F1 video game.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/20/20 9:05 a.m.
loosecannon said:

Formula 1 just announced they are replacing some actual races with virtual races. I would definitely watch this to see what happens unless it going to be a couple of current F1 drivers and a bunch of other people I've never heard of. The problem is that playing a video game is not like the real thing and a person can be the best at one and the worst at the other. I'm guessing Lewis Hamilton would come in DFL in an F1 video game.

Here's the link:  https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-launches-virtual-grand-prix-series-to-replace-postponed-races.1znLAbPzBbCQPj1IDMeiOi.html

Since it'll be available on the F1 YouTube channel, you should be able to easily watch it Sunday at any time.  While not a real race, this will be neat to watch.

I would assume that the younger drivers will fair better since most of them grew up playing video games, but all the drivers do simulator work now days, so it might not be that different.  I guess it would depend on their home setup.  I know Norris and Verstappen have excellent home setups, I wonder if Hamilton, Vettel and Raikkonen do.

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/20/20 9:20 a.m.

So a question about the virtual racing- do all of the drivers have a super high speed connection like all the teams have remotely?  Imagine one driver dropping out in the middle of a pass... lol...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/20/20 9:30 a.m.

Boffins say:

- F1 drivers experience 5 g while braking, 2 g while accelerating, and 4 to 6 g while cornering--and constantly transition between those forces every lap throughout each race

-  Since F1 drivers have to endure high G forces at extremely hot temperatures, they tend to lose close to 4 kg of body weight including 3 liters of water during a race

Take the intense physical stresses out of the equation, remove any danger from crashing, and in my opinion you're left with a playing field that no longer represents real racing. I'm not interested in that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/20/20 11:31 a.m.
loosecannon said:

I wouldn't make that assumption. He's got a lot of extra processing power upstairs - speaking to one of his race engineers, there was a notable difference in multitasking ability between Lewis and Nico. I suspect the same is true for Ricciardo vs Vettel, based on how quickly Riccardo got comfortable much sooner with the new more complex hybrids. All of these guys have significant simulator time so they should all be reasonably competent, and then it gets down to strategy and wheel to wheel ability. That's not an area that Hamilton stuggles with, but we definitely would see a shakeup in the order if all the drivers are in identical cars. I just don't think Lewis would be DFL. Vettel, that may be different.

I'm comparing F1 drivers vs F1 drivers. Someone who's been gaming exclusively for 15 years is liable to have a specific skillset for sure. We've seen over and over that it doesn't necessarily translate into real world racing.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALZNtXsWMd5fe7O4zU7RrKAfSRkEB6vApQYu2UMQrKmtMwSbHzbOPj6fW6Ls5ngR