carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/21/10 8:47 p.m.

All in 4 days. Now I feel beat, but I thought I'd share a few tidbits with you guys in case any of you are contemplating a similar trip.

But first an update from the thread on how to stop the double axles on the trailer from bouncing up and locking. 1) I re-tightened all the bolts. 2) I took the large landscapers tailgate/ramp off the back and strapped it down in the front to get rid of the drag on the rear and add some weight on the front. I don't know which worked, but the trailer towed smooth as silk empty.

In hindsight I did this backwards, but the daughter wanted to stop in Sedona on the way back so I took the South route (10) on the way out and the North route (40) on the way back.

The reason I say I did this backwards was that the South route was pretty flat and the north route was awfully hilly. The empty trailer would have been much easier to tow on the hilly route and the loaded one would have been better on the flat terrain. People had said the 10 was a boring drive when compared to the 40, but I didn't find that to be so. Both ways had terrain far different from my green rolling hills around Fort Worth so they were both interesting. 40 did have more side trip options, but I've never done that trip that I had time for side trips.

The trailer was so heavy that I was towing with the throttle just a hair away from a downshift and any incline put me over the line. There were hills I couldn't even go 40 mph. Time for a bigger engine.

A very nice benefit to the southern route was gas prices. I never spent over $2.49 for gas until I hit the Cali border whereas just 2 days later I never found gas much under $3 a gal. I found as much as $1.00 a gallon variance in pricing within just 1 mile on the north route. How does $4 a gallon grab you?

Another nice benefit to the southern route was the speed limits. Did you know that west Texas has an 80 mph speed limit? I didn't and Iive here. The speed limit in Texas on the northern route was only 70.

Both Google and my iPhone seriously underestimated the time it took to get to 40 from L.A. and to get down to FW from 40. They were spot on everywhere else. The northern route took me almost 6 hours longer to complete, Sedona notwithstanding, and almost all the time was on the run up to 40 and down to FW.

Here is something I thought all you guys might be interested in. We had a mini top of the line Passport vs. Valentine war all the way back. The Valentine won hands down.

Arizona has apparently done their own studies on radar detectors too and have really stepped up their game. We never saw just one Arizona Highway patrol, they ran in packs and the Passport never stood a chance. The Valentine's number count and arrows saved our butts multiple times.

Arizona is sneaky. Not only do they run in packs so most radar detectors can't find them all, but they've added Periscopes to their SUVs. Since it's so flat they sit over any hill or in any depression and run the periscope up till it clears the crest and shoot at you that way. I was hit with either Ka, Laser or K band from these trucks. No one uses K band anymore! The Passport didn't even pick up the K band (grocery store door band). The K band was mostly photo traps. They take a photo and mail you a ticket.

They also used lower power outputs so that most detectors couldn't find any stray signals from any distance. They relied upon stealth. Once again the Valentine found all of them and the Passport missed most of the signals until we were far too close for comfort.

Arizona must be worried about going bankrupt too as we counted over 40 instances of these sneak attacks on Hwy 40, down south they were prevalent, but not this prevalent.

Hopefully some of this will help someone.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/21/10 8:57 p.m.

which model valentine were you using? Have you considered trying the laser jammers?

Andrew

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/21/10 9:38 p.m.

Is there more than one model Valentine? Valentine 1?

A friend tried the laser jammers and liked it, but he said it made him too careless cause they didn't jam all the time and he'd get popped for something stupid.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
2/22/10 12:44 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: The K band was mostly photo traps. They take a photo and mail you a ticket.

Perhaps it's just my inner Southern Boy coming out, but I still wonder what a 20-gauge shotgun with deer slugs would do to one of those..

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/22/10 7:32 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
carguy123 wrote: The K band was mostly photo traps. They take a photo and mail you a ticket.
Perhaps it's just my inner Southern Boy coming out, but I still wonder what a 20-gauge shotgun with deer slugs would do to one of those..

Do you mean the ticket or the camera? They do bash the lens and actually steal the whole thing in England.

Andrew

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/22/10 8:25 p.m.

All the cameras I SAW were mobile with a police officer inside the vehicle so I'm thinking a deer slug wouldn't really be an option.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
2/22/10 8:52 p.m.

Up here we once had a politician get into office with no more platform than:

Elect me and I will get rid of photoradar" He won by a landslide and no one has dared bring it back.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
2/23/10 10:49 p.m.
digdug18 wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Do you mean the ticket or the camera? They do bash the lens and actually steal the whole thing in England. Andrew

Oh, the camera.

And my English buddies have been sending me links like this for awhile now.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2c.htm

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
2/23/10 10:54 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: All the cameras I SAW were mobile with a police officer inside the vehicle so I'm thinking a deer slug wouldn't really be an option.

Wow, manned speed cams? Well, I guess that would adress the vandalism troubles..

http://tinyurl.com/y8v7n5a

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/23/10 10:56 p.m.

Manned and mobile so you'd never know where they are.

Interestingly they did have signs that said certain areas were prone to photo enforcement and they seemed to be confined to those areas, but you never knew when an SUV would be there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LFq14KCXwvepecUYJCf5pcmnnDbUoCuFxrmzQ8Rs3Ag1i5bj61Nr0jqU7idZAIO6