1 2
P71
P71 SuperDork
10/24/09 3:45 p.m.

$600 project sold off. Now looking at $2250 84 up north. Here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/506327-84-944-2250-a.html

I can't swing that much cash until I either sell off the 7 or January without going outside of my car account. But it's dark gray (my #1 color), has a fresher motor, and already has a harness bar. Thoughts?

924guy
924guy Dork
10/24/09 7:52 p.m.

The pca has, or at least used to have an alternative membership for those who dont yet have, but plan to have in the future, a Porsche. check the pcna website.

another option may be to become an "affiliate" member, all you have to do is get a regular member to add you. all members can add one person, its designed for a spouse, but there's nothing that says it cant be a friend to my knowledge.

And some pca regions will allow non pca members to drive in their events for a few bucks more than the regular members pay, this varies greatly depending on the local chapter.

For a higher steering wheel, extension adapters can be found, they also bring the wheel a bit closer. they'll work for some people.

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/24/09 8:03 p.m.

I looked into the starter member, it's the same price as an annual membership for 6 months To top it off, it's non-refundable and does not count towards your actual membership dues when you do find a P-Car. Pass

The local PCA (Oregon Region) is an awesome club and has left me run at every event for the last 2 seasons. That's why I want a Porsche, I want to be more involved with everything this club does.

I drive a 1st Gen RX-7 with aftermarket seats. I know what large steering wheels with no room means for fat men like myself. The 944 is roomier I'm not ruling out an 85.5-88 car, I'm just shopping around for the best I can afford.

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
10/25/09 12:09 p.m.
P71 wrote: $600 project sold off. Now looking at $2250 84 up north. Here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/506327-84-944-2250-a.html I can't swing that much cash until I either sell off the 7 or January without going outside of my car account. But it's dark gray (my #1 color), has a fresher motor, and already has a harness bar. Thoughts?

That one looks pretty good, it's better to pay a little more and get a car that was cared-for and has maintenance records.

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/25/09 12:45 p.m.

There's a 924S for stupid cheap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/1435628449.html

I just can't get over how ugly they are

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
10/26/09 11:41 a.m.

Looks kinda like a 1st-gen RX-7 to me! Besides the narrow body could be better for the autocross.

Deflate the bumper shocks in the front and rear and you'll not notice it quite so bad. Add a front spoiler and it will begin to look some what aggressive.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
10/29/09 5:26 p.m.

Yes you need to own a Porsche to be a PCA member.

Hmm why is that so strange. It is a PORSCHE club afterall.

Still the nice thing about the PCA is that for the most part the autocrossers don't care of you have juker $500 944 or a 100k GT3. You are still a PCA member just the same.

About that one on Pelican Seems like a fair price. Just about any 944 will cost $2500. Some cost $500 and then need $2k of parts to bring them back to decient shape. Other cost $1500 and need only $1000 to get them back right.

If you can't budget for $2500 to $3000 you 944 is just not going to be any good.

You can easily spend $20k in building 944 spec car. Of that 19k is the parts and labor with $1000 the initial purchase price. These cars can be expensive to maintain if you want them perfect or need to pay Porsche labor rates. My advice to joint Rennlist or Pelican (or both) and learn all you can about these cars. Pick a good one or pick a junker and know what you are in for.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
10/29/09 8:03 p.m.

advice? Bring wallet

P71
P71 SuperDork
10/29/09 8:41 p.m.

My budget is around $3000 with some wiggle room for more depending on how much I get for the RX-7. I'm concentrating on selling it before I commit to looking seriously at 944's.

Sorry, but I cannot do a 924S. The slab sides with the afterthought wheel well openings makes my stomach hurt. I don't care that Hurricane Hernandez podium'ed with one at Nationals in E-Stock (behind a 944 and a Miata, all 3 are from my 2 Regions, I race with them all the time!). I like big butts (and I cannot lie!) so the 944's booty is what it has to be.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
10/30/09 9:22 a.m.
P71 wrote: Sorry, but I cannot do a 924S. The slab sides with the afterthought wheel well openings makes my stomach hurt. I don't care that Hurricane Hernandez podium'ed with one at Nationals in E-Stock (behind a 944 and a Miata, all 3 are from my 2 Regions, I race with them all the time!). I like big butts (and I cannot lie!) so the 944's booty is what it has to be.

I have two 924S parts cars and have grown to like them, but you are right. I first got an 924S in 1991. Nice car, but never the appeal of the 944. It is amazing what fender flares will do. In racing over the past few years I grown to apperciate the 924S more, but still the 944 just looks better. However a 924S is the same as 944 if you swap front fenders, front spoiler and rear fenders. One reason I have grown fond of them is they are cheaper due to looks and that makes their 87 and 88 parts cheaper too.

$3000 is good budget for 944. It should give you the room to get a nice car or put a little money in and make it nice. A few years ago I sold a nearly perfect 84 944 with 72K for 4500. It was a car with history however as my father had bought it form the original owner in 1998. He had just bought a 944 Turbo and had the 84. His wife said sell one. So he put both up for sale. I love the Turbo and bought it. 1 year later he bought another Turbo and then called my father who love that 84. Sold it to him. Then me father and I used the car for PCA Concour events becase it was so clean and perfect. Our high light was winning people's choice overall one year. That was ahead of new car and even Abarth Carrara's and host of others. Anyway my father bought a turbo and the car sat for a while, but the original owner stayed in contact with us. We even went on a number of Porsche drives together and lamented selling his first Porsche. So after I aquired it from my father and had been drivng daily for 1 year my wife became pregnant and I could not keep 2 Porsche 944 drivers and 1 race car. So I kept the turbo and called the original owner and see if wanted the car back. He did so gave him a good price and eargly bought it back.

Once you get in the PCA you learn that unlike most people when PCA guys sell cars they often know thier new owners or stay in contact with them. The same cars turn up at PCA events all the time. Sometimes with new owners. It is one of the things that makes Porsche ownership special.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fkDlHHYMHzftG3fmHxeNNWIZ9HCE6kwx9jvbdXAgUybT64iNkmVAZGUrGliMC23E