1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/19/14 12:23 p.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/19/14 12:26 p.m.

Ow.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/19/14 12:36 p.m.

If you are going to fly a car that far, you really should consider adding some control surfaces so that you can influence movement on the pitch axis.

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 12:37 p.m.

Wow im so glad hes ok that was brutal

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
3/19/14 12:45 p.m.

Merde!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/19/14 12:50 p.m.

Coming off the gas in midair sure didn't help. The gyroscopic effect of that would make the car pitch down. Also if it wasn't a RWD car, being on the gas when landing would pull the rear wheels down faster.

bgkast
bgkast Dork
3/19/14 12:54 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Ding ding ding. Ever see how a moto-x rider controls pitch with the throttle when in the air? Same idea.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/19/14 1:00 p.m.

that was painful to watch

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/19/14 1:42 p.m.
bgkast wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Ding ding ding. Ever see how a moto-x rider controls pitch with the throttle when in the air? Same idea.

another example of this is fast rc cars off ramps at a skatepark

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
3/19/14 4:08 p.m.

Dammit, had to be a French person...

Will
Will SuperDork
3/19/14 7:38 p.m.
gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
3/19/14 7:52 p.m.

Nailed it!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/14 1:18 p.m.

Technically, he made it. Is being able to use the car afterward or remembering your name a requirement?

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
3/20/14 5:30 p.m.

Ow is right.

Thumbs up for the rocket powered Lincoln though! I like how the driver, who had a broken back, was carried out on two guys' shoulders...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/20/14 1:54 p.m.

Thread resurrection: Here's a video on the attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOANXNGrZc#t=479

They don't talk about what his mistake was, but there's a pretty damning shot of the car in midair with the wheels not turning.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
6/20/14 2:33 p.m.

Amazing footage from that GoPro. I was getting anxiety just watching! He must have braked to have the nose tip like it did.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/20/14 2:33 p.m.
Will wrote: Amateurs.

OMG. It's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt7ZTvcriY

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/20/14 2:37 p.m.

Where were his arm restraints?!! I kept expecting to see an arm flop out and get crushed. Ugh.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
6/20/14 2:42 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Where were his arm restraints?!! I kept expecting to see an arm flop out and get crushed. Ugh.

Rally drivers typically don't wear them, but they also know that the first thing you do is cross them over in front of your chest and keep them there. You are just ballast at that point anyway.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
6/20/14 2:43 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Where were his arm restraints?!! I kept expecting to see an arm flop out and get crushed. Ugh.

a containment seat and a full face helmet might have also been a good idea- there were a couple of points where it looked like the HANS device was the only thing keeping his head from flopping out the window, and a few things flew right into his face..

maybe those rally guys should think about copying the NASCAR guys on a few things...

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/20/14 2:51 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
dculberson wrote: Where were his arm restraints?!! I kept expecting to see an arm flop out and get crushed. Ugh.
Rally drivers typically don't wear them, but they also know that the first thing you do is cross them over in front of your chest and keep them there. You are just ballast at that point anyway.

Except his arms were flopping around pretty well for a few tumbles before he had the presence of mind to cross them. You also do not have the benefit of consciousness in some accidents. Arm restraints are not uncomfortable and they really should wear them. (Not bitching at you, just saying if you're going to do a mile long jump maybe a little more safety is a good idea...)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
6/20/14 3:10 p.m.

This guys jump was just another day at the track!

http://m.wimp.com/carrally/

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
6/20/14 3:44 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
NGTD wrote:
dculberson wrote: Where were his arm restraints?!! I kept expecting to see an arm flop out and get crushed. Ugh.
Rally drivers typically don't wear them, but they also know that the first thing you do is cross them over in front of your chest and keep them there. You are just ballast at that point anyway.
Except his arms were flopping around pretty well for a few tumbles before he had the presence of mind to cross them. You also do not have the benefit of consciousness in some accidents. Arm restraints are not uncomfortable and they really should wear them. (Not bitching at you, just saying if you're going to do a mile long jump maybe a little more safety is a good idea...)

I agree with you. I don't know WTF he was thinking putting his arms up in the air like that. He is damn lucky.

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
6/20/14 5:41 p.m.

After the wreck is that the fuel pump you can hear running, and the sound of fuel flowing out?

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
6/20/14 7:02 p.m.
bgkast wrote: After the wreck is that the fuel pump you can hear running, and the sound of fuel flowing out?

I thought the same thing. Did no one hit the kill switch? Did the car even have one or was is smashed in the crash.

I also wonder if something didn't die mid flight. It almost sounded like the engine shut down before landing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LMuVtZNjGjVkPqdGBrP1etKl19eV5PrgBC2CPNwodOgkG3LVEL5A3fWW6SHEkFV0