1 2
golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/25/14 7:44 a.m.
Leafy wrote:
golfduke wrote: I wonder how this would work in the miata... probably not well, but I do already have that one...
Might actually be really berkeleying close to working with the LFX swap kit from V8R.

This is the direction I'm sort of leaning toward. At any rate, I'm taking it and gonna start measuring. Now, where to find a T-5 on the cheap?

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/25/14 8:26 a.m.

Any junkyard with a 3.4L Camaro. You may have to do some research on which flywheel to use as I think the crank pattern changed but the trans is a direct fit. Check our 60degreev6.com for all your needs.

russian
russian New Reader
9/25/14 1:29 p.m.

Put it on an engine stand and start this engine using rusEfi DIY ems :)

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/25/14 2:12 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: sell it to someone for their MG. That is the penical (or close to it) of the GM pushrod V6. These are over 200hp stock and with a bit of effort can make a far bit more power. Bolts to a 3.4l Camaro T5 and will fit almost anywhere because it is tiny.

'Penical'? Is that like 'I got kicked in my penical', or 'would you like a penicalada?'

The 3500 puts out exactly 200 bhp, which isn't bad.

It is in no way tiny, unless you are used to dump trucks. Because they are a 60 deg. engine, they do take up less lateral space than a 90 deg. V engine though. In demand for MG swapping indeed, although most of those use the older 3.4.

captdownshift
captdownshift HalfDork
9/25/14 2:34 p.m.

drop it into a Volvo 80 wagon (see the off topic guilt for parting out a car thread)

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/25/14 2:41 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

I would say for what it is, it is small. Not many v engines that would fit in a smaller hole, especially with that power to weight/size

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
9/25/14 3:20 p.m.

There are not enough v6 powered pit carts in the world.Or stick it in the back of something old, light and interesting - bring to challenge.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/25/14 3:54 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: How has nobody said this "Challenge"

I didn't due to free being assessed FMV....which is probably in the $800-1600 range.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/25/14 6:08 p.m.

They can be put in an MGB but require a lot of fab or a kit sold for the purpose. Figure with a free engine you will still drop (at least) $7000 to get it done in the MGB.Its the details that nickle and dime you.

Mike
Mike HalfDork
9/25/14 6:23 p.m.

How about a sandrail?

Some electric car folks used to put front engine drivetrains into a trailer assembly for a mechanical range booster for longer trips. They hitch it to the EV, and it pushes the car along.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/26/14 8:14 a.m.

Well, this did just come up locally. I like the old GT's.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4631545160.html

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/26/14 9:35 a.m.
Mike wrote: Some electric car folks used to put front engine drivetrains into a trailer assembly for a mechanical range booster for longer trips. They hitch it to the EV, and it pushes the car along.

On one hand that's pretty cool and inventive. On the other hand that's pretty unsafe (thrust direction is the direction of the trailer!). It would be safer but less efficient to make a motor-generator trailer.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/26/14 5:05 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Mike wrote: Some electric car folks used to put front engine drivetrains into a trailer assembly for a mechanical range booster for longer trips. They hitch it to the EV, and it pushes the car along.
On one hand that's pretty cool and inventive. On the other hand that's pretty unsafe (thrust direction is the direction of the trailer!). It would be safer but less efficient to make a motor-generator trailer.

As a pusher..that is pretty scary. As a Motor/generator it's genius

Mike
Mike HalfDork
9/26/14 6:13 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Mike wrote: Some electric car folks used to put front engine drivetrains into a trailer assembly for a mechanical range booster for longer trips. They hitch it to the EV, and it pushes the car along.
On one hand that's pretty cool and inventive. On the other hand that's pretty unsafe (thrust direction is the direction of the trailer!). It would be safer but less efficient to make a motor-generator trailer.
As a pusher..that is pretty scary. As a Motor/generator it's genius

Yeah, I think you'd want it in neutral at low speed and during any meaningful hitch articulation.

OneJay
OneJay New Reader
9/26/14 6:23 p.m.
Mike wrote: How about a sandrail? Some electric car folks used to put front engine drivetrains into a trailer assembly for a mechanical range booster for longer trips. They hitch it to the EV, and it pushes the car along.

Found additional info on this. http://www.evalbum.com/753

From the builder "1/26/2014 The pusher has basically been pointless, too much trouble to hook up and all it does is point out the limits of my EV conversion. It has now not been used in several years."

slow
slow Reader
9/26/14 6:33 p.m.

Put in a Van's RV-7A. if 4.3 is possible, then 3.5 would fly too.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/26/14 10:42 p.m.
golfduke wrote: Well, this did just come up locally. I like the old GT's. http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4631545160.html

Do not buy that GT even if free. If there is one thing I know well, its MG bodywork and that one is a stinker.

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
9/27/14 12:24 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

You mean this isn't the right way to fix it?

Craigslist said: The only rust that was on the car was the rocker panels, and those were replaced with metal panels and fiber glassed over.
Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/27/14 10:23 a.m.

If you can't put the engine in one of your current 4 cylinder projects, I would try to trade it for parts to complete a current project.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
5ZOIoPln696rGi0gqcpfBfkxlxpShKDMMSR0pBuQohx46jUgk63nQ1SiHbZbG1I8