Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/29/22 8:58 a.m.

A group of us Star Wars nerds are planning a trip to the Ohio Renaissance Festival in a few weeks, and the subject of radios came up.  I remember borrowing a pair from friends that had some for their Miata trips to the Dragon the last time I took the Abarth & it was fun being able to talk to other drivers on the cruises.

Are all FRS radios born equal?  Are they at a point where they're all the same?  I saw a set of 4 for $40 on Amazon last night.  Walie Talkies!

At first I just looked up personal radios and saw a pair of GMRS radios for $50 but found an article that described how the tech's are similar but GMRS requires a license.  FRS seems to be a simple solution for my needs.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/29/22 9:18 a.m.

FRS radios will work but there are crappy models out there you'll need to avoid.

One of the autocross clubs I run with uses these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Retevis-Walkie-Talkie-Radios-Charger/dp/B07HNYMCP6/

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
9/29/22 9:22 a.m.

Not equal - cheaper ones almost always come with lousy antennas, which is a problem for FRS since you can't swap antennas. 

GMRS can run more power than FRS, which is helpful but the antenna is much more important. You might not need a license for gmrs handhelds. IIRC GMRS only requires a license application of over 2 watts, which is actually a lot for a handheld radio.

If you go with GMRS and decide to upgrade the antenna, watch for fakes (especially Nagoya branded).

Ed/kk4wxo

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/29/22 9:35 a.m.

We use the Baofengs, which are a little more money, but much more capable.  They are HAM radios, but programmable to FRS/GMRS, frequencies.  There are power limits for those freqs, but IIRC on 'low' power they're OK.  Many more options for antennas and accessories (earpieces/mics, etc) than the typical FRS blister packs, and if you ever decide to get your license (it's easy), you have lots of HAM freqs to use.  They can also be used as a scanner for public safety freqs.

'Zon: Baofeng UV-5R+

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/29/22 9:47 a.m.

I got my GRMS license and use the Baofengs at full power. Just pay attention to what frequency you are transmitting on. They have a pretty impressive range for the price. 

The license is Here. IIRC the price dropped a good bit right after I got the license. You only require one license for a family. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/29/22 12:25 p.m.

Very similar radios, but as has been mentioned, GRMS needs licensing.  It's not likely you'll get caught without the license, the problem is... if you do... open the really big wallet.

I'm in the market for good FRS as well.  I keep getting crap units for hunting.  I had an inexpensive Cobra set last season and on standby they only gave me about 45 minutes.  Previously I got a Sony set that said it had the subchannels, but they didn't work properly.

So, subscribing for interest.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/29/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I have not done anything with HAM since a kid in the early '70s

I don't know the FRS and GMRS terms at all, but I need to give this link to The Financial Manager; we need a pair, and that's a great price, for better than cheap stuff! Thanks. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
9/29/22 1:10 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Very similar radios, but as has been mentioned, GRMS needs licensing.  It's not likely you'll get caught without the license, the problem is... if you do... open the really big wallet.

I'm in the market for good FRS as well.  I keep getting crap units for hunting.  I had an inexpensive Cobra set last season and on standby they only gave me about 45 minutes.  Previously I got a Sony set that said it had the subchannels, but they didn't work properly.

I have had a few sets thru the years and never got them to work more than a toy , 

since most people have cell phones is there really a need for these anymore ?

PS:  what are the 2 way radios that security guards etc use , they seem to work :)

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/29/22 1:20 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

For a business to use most FCC bands, they must be licensed.  If they're licensed, they probably spent the money on 'real' radios on business bands (Motorola, Kenwood, Harris, etc.)... $$$$.  If they're going 'pirate' radio, and hoping the FCC doesn't catch them, most are using something like the Baofengs.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/29/22 2:20 p.m.

I posted a message in our autocross Facebook group & someone thought ours were Baofengs.  I know we have like 10 of them, they use AAA batteries, I think 10 channels so we can have Timing and Grid on 1 channel, corners and Timing on another.  They seem to last an 8hr day no problem.

One of the Star Wars nerds just shared what he has, it’s a combo FRS/GRMS from Motorola – Talkabout T-402.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Talkabout-T402-Rechargeable-Two-Way/dp/B01D6OAH6I/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5TMKHPIPFTH3&keywords=motorola+talkabout+t402+rechargeable+two-way+radios+2-pack&qid=1664475593&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjc5IiwicXNhIjoiMS44NyIsInFzcCI6IjEuNTIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=motorola+talkab%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-3

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
9/29/22 2:32 p.m.

Sorry, I only like BRZ radios. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/29/22 2:58 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

If you've got more than 2 people then using cell phones to have a group conversation gets more complicated.  A handful of 2-way radios like this is much simpler.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
9/29/22 3:40 p.m.

GMRS Info

You have better range with a GMRS than FRS. Sure you need a license, but I don't know of anyone busted for transmitting without one. The license is $35 now, from $70. No test required just a credit card.

Use channels 1-7, or 15-22 for full 5 watt power. 8-14 are limited to .5 watt. 

I got 2 Baofeng GMRS-9R for $50 each from Amazon. Works way better than any of the FRS I've had before. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
9/29/22 3:52 p.m.

I have a hard time recommending baofeng to anybody. I've heard too many stories about spurious emissions.

Get the GMRS license. It's good for like 10 years and extends to your "family".

9/29/22 3:55 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I have had a few sets thru the years and never got them to work more than a toy , 

PS:  what are the 2 way radios that security guards etc use , they seem to work :)

Dad and I hunt some pretty remote places where cell phones don't work.  I mean remote, as in... we didn't have cell service when we boarded the float plane, so we darn sure won't have service after a 3 hour flight into the bush.  Nice to have a redundant form of communication for "Help, I've fallen out of my tree stand and I can't get up" or the "I just shot an 800 lb bull elk, come help me drag" moments.

From what I understand, the agency issuing the radios to the guards will contact the FCC to get a frequency (or set of frequencies) licensed to them based on other licenses in their area.  Kind of like radio stations.  There is a 104.1 FM here, but the next 104.1 might be three states away so they don't overlap.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/29/22 6:40 p.m.

Nice to have a redundant form of communication for "Help, I've fallen out of my tree stand and I can't get up"

I think for that I'd want a PLB emergency transmitter, not just a handheld radio! :)

I suspect security guards are using "business band".  Yes, you pay for a license in a particular area.

9/29/22 8:22 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

There is a Sat phone in the cabin for emergencies, but it's nice to have an FRS so I can at least drag dad back to camp before the bears smell his compound fractured leg.  :)

9/29/22 8:27 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

I suspect security guards are using "business band".  Yes, you pay for a license in a particular area.

And I think there are several levels of licensing.  Where I used to work they were super adamant that we didn't take the radios out of the building.  I first thought that it was because they didn't want their assets disappearing, but evidently the real reason was that the license only applied while in the building or within X feet of the property.

I took mine to lunch accidentally one day and got a call so I responded from one block away.  The boss heard the background noise of the restaurant and informed me later that our license doesn't extend that far.  He wasn't angry, just informed me that if I accidentally take it with me to not key the mic.

When I worked driving school buses, it was a different license allowing us to use the bus radios around the whole school district.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
9/29/22 8:50 p.m.

AFAIK the programmable baofengs aren't strictly legal for FRS/GMRS. They have fixed channel versions which are, and saves you from having to buy a cable and set them up.

It's true they're not super clean transmitters but even 5w with a typical handheld antenna won't pollute much :)

The Motorolas are a decent choice. I bought a couple for a camp we work with because I couldn't stand the cheap stuff they'd  bought. The motos have lasted better. 

9/29/22 9:12 p.m.
paddygarcia said:

AFAIK the programmable baofengs aren't strictly legal for FRS/GMRS. They have fixed channel versions which are, and saves you from having to buy a cable and set them up.

It's true they're not super clean transmitters but even 5w with a typical handheld antenna won't pollute much :)

The Motorolas are a decent choice. I bought a couple for a camp we work with because I couldn't stand the cheap stuff they'd  bought. The motos have lasted better. 

Agreed, but the FCC doesn't limit the purchase of it, only the use of it.  As long as you use it within the Tx wattage on the right frequencies, it's legal.

Kinda like owning a Ferrari.  It can go 200 mph, but as long as you drive it within the speed limit, you're legal.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/29/22 10:10 p.m.

I ended up buying what my friend has, the Motorola Talkabout 402. Combo FRS and GMRS plus if it's not simple to program he can show me on the fly.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
9/30/22 9:30 a.m.

Agreed, but the FCC doesn't limit the purchase of it, only the use of it.  As long as you use it within the Tx wattage on the right frequencies, it's legal.

Kinda like owning a Ferrari.  It can go 200 mph, but as long as you drive it within the speed limit, you're legal.

A closer analogy might that the uv-5r is like an off-road part and the FCC is like the EPA. You can buy a UV-5r (i have several for 2m/70cm) and using it in the amateur bands is fine, but transmitting with a non-part 95 device on frs or gmrs isn't permitted. That said, much like emissions parts I doubt individuals are at risk of the law.

Newer ones may be certified, I dunno - they'll have a sticker that says Part 95.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/30/22 12:12 p.m.
Jerry said:

I ended up buying what my friend has, the Motorola Talkabout 402. Combo FRS and GMRS plus if it's not simple to program he can show me on the fly.

Will you be doing anything to make them look more Stormtroopery? Spraying the colored parts to white and putting some Aurebesh on them would be a good start. Or a handsfree connection with a PTT button on the helmet? I think I've seen stormtroopers use radios like that before...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/2/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

You know, surprisingly I did not think of this.  But now I might, they arrive today.  Also we had set-up for autocross yesterday and the main guy commented on my post that they use Uniden radios, so I have a backup idea if these are too much for me.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
10/2/22 9:20 a.m.

Not sure what kind of earphone/mic jack your radios have, but there are all kinds of accessory kits on Amazon.  Earpiece/mic, in helmet setups, etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LISfY2dToiVyI8jyZiCETcA0hCssbvqebgHpDOr53VCRq7qpRBoGvmPtCtbZiyYo