stroker
stroker Dork
10/4/12 8:13 p.m.

My 1996 Sidekick is running progressively rougher. It tends to run better when cold (choked) and gets worse when fully warmed up. It's stumbling under normal driving conditions. My poorly-informed opinion is that it needs a tune-up or the fuel system is clogging. Can anyone recommend a fuel additive that actually WORKS that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm cash-strapped and don't want to spend a ton on a trip to the shop...

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/4/12 8:27 p.m.

Gumout Regane

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
10/4/12 8:39 p.m.

The high-mileage Gumout actually seems to have made a positive difference to how the e30 is running. Well, that and cleaning out the crap in the MAF...

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
10/4/12 9:02 p.m.
stroker wrote: It tends to run better when cold (choked) and gets worse when fully warmed up.

It sounds like the car still thinks it is cold then. Perhaps a temp sensor or something needs attention.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
10/4/12 9:18 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
stroker wrote: It tends to run better when cold (choked) and gets worse when fully warmed up.
It sounds like the car still thinks it is cold then. Perhaps a temp sensor or something needs attention.

yeah. unusually poor fuel efficiency will be another indication.

not that a can of BG 44k ever hurt anything....

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
10/4/12 9:25 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Gumout Regane

I've also seen good results from this one, better than any other I've tried.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
10/5/12 8:30 a.m.

If you think its injectors 1st change the filter then spend the $25 each and send'em out to Marren injection (injector.com) I'd been rev cleaning my injectiors with a home made rig and had what i thought was good filter but wasted more money and time then it was worth. cheapest HP i've found was pro-cleaning.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/5/12 8:33 a.m.

I've had good results with the Lucas fuel system cleaner, as well. I actually dump a bottle of that in my gas tank every 5,000 miles or so.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
10/5/12 9:37 a.m.

Redline makes one as well that I have had good results with years back. I have not used them in a while through.

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
10/5/12 9:46 a.m.

Seafoam!

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
10/5/12 10:15 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: Seafoam!

+1

Us it on my customer and personal cars.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
10/5/12 11:12 a.m.

We use Justice Brothers products at work..firm believer-when you burn 44k with some gas in a glass jar you should see the waxy crap left behind-do the same with JB and nothing left behind.

(someone who has used 44k in every car for years, until I saw our rep's presentation)

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/5/12 11:21 a.m.

I've always had good luck with Sea Foam. Made one hell of a difference on my old Benz diesel, too.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
10/5/12 11:23 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: I've always had good luck with Sea Foam. Made one hell of a difference on my old Benz diesel, too.

Ditto

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
10/5/12 11:26 a.m.

I concur with the Marren recommendation

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/5/12 2:03 p.m.

I've had contamination issues after using both seafoam and lucas injection cleaner. It might have been a fluke but a week after using the stuff my mercedes developed a block in the injector/fuel distributor, but bosch CIS is very sensitive to fuel contamination.

Chevron Techron and berrymans are my go to now. Basically you gotta give these old mercedes an eyetalian tune up every now and then. 6 gallons of gas + bottle injection cleaner + high speed/high revs = one happy car.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
10/5/12 2:13 p.m.

I've heard SeaFoam doesn't work well with diesel and that Liqui Moly Jectron is THE E36 M3 for cis. We use Jectron with our cis injector bench tester and cleaner. I'm prety impressed how well it dissolves the carbon right in front of your eyes.

stroker
stroker Dork
12/28/12 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Cone_Junky:

What retailers carry this Liqui Moly Jectron stuff?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
12/28/12 5:19 p.m.

NAPA

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
12/28/12 5:55 p.m.

The old school BMW recommendation was two 20 oz. bottles of Techron into an 1/8th of a tank of fuel and drive it like you stole it. Change the oil afterwards.

stroker
stroker Dork
12/28/12 8:07 p.m.

I'm about to make a 1000+ mile drive and I'm thinking I can use that to clean out the system.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
12/28/12 8:36 p.m.

I've heard that Jectron is only supposed to be used in injector/fuel system cleaning machines - not just poured into your car like other additives. But, that's secondhand, so who knows.

I've had great luck with BG 44k and Chevron Techron. Both have the same active ingredient, IIRC.

sergio
sergio New Reader
12/28/12 9:19 p.m.

Techron has worked for me. It's recommended by major manufactures, there must be a reason.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
12/29/12 8:35 a.m.

jectron is really cheap btw. like even less than seafoam.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0GCkOTjGxFOy9Yq173owmE8DJbZHxJw9o5agwBRBCORIp8JFxcrKGW9h8l0kyFOd