dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/26/21 10:01 p.m.

A week ago I bought a 2010 Nissan Frontier to daily drive, today I smelled raw fuel after filling the truck and driving home, so I crawled under the truck and could see fuel leaking from between the frame rail and the tank. There is a soft line coming off the tank, and it was leaking at an exposed metal section where it meets the hard line that's otherwise coated in rubber except for this approx 1" section. It pretty much crumbled when I pulled the lines apart. Do I need to replace this entire hard line that runs all the way to the front of the truck, or will some sort of repair kit work well? 
I stole this photo from a Nissan forum but this is exactly what I'm dealing with:

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
12/26/21 10:43 p.m.

I sure hope "replace that section with flexible fuel line" is the correct answer, since that's what I did on the rusted out section on the Saabaru and I don't want to be responsible for anyone's fiery death. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/27/21 1:42 a.m.

Inspect the rest of the line. If the rest of it is good replace the bad section. Be sure to flair the end of the steel line a bit before putting the new flex line on it. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
12/27/21 7:14 a.m.

Run the full line. Splicing it will just add to the worry later down the road.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/27/21 7:33 a.m.

I would check the rest of the line and probably splice it. A slight flare and double clamps will hold it forever. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/27/21 9:04 a.m.

I would and have spliced to a known good section.  Making all new invites the liability that it may not be routed well enough and can vibrate against an edge somewhere and rub through.

Honda fullsize trucks (Pilot/Odyssey/etc) are bad to rust the lines through at the quick disconnects in front of the tank.  I will splice about 3 feet ahead instead of tortuously running all the way up to the engine bay.

If it keeps breaking further along as you manipulate the line to suit your needs, you have your answer smiley  Amazing how a line rack resembles a worm filled can that way.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
12/27/21 9:38 a.m.

Can I splice with the small pipe cutting tool used for copper pipes? And hopefully the tool to flare the line available at the parts store, I'll have to watch a video on how to do it. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/27/21 10:51 a.m.

A tubing cutter should have no problem cutting the line. Any cheap flare kit should be able to bell the end of the tube to keep the rubber line from slipping off. Don't do a full flare, just a slight flare. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VXZPqChx3ShSunETgl8fOtXF0Kgwm17nPj0OLeW1H0f0Ewoleu0N3SVmLbfvIz6D