GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/9/22 12:52 p.m.

Looking for opportunities for some fun after my overnight stop each way to and from the Challenge. Maybe only one thing, I've already put driving Tail of the Dragon on the list. Dates would be Oct. 19th-20th, or 25th-26th on the way back. Last time I checked the list of TNIA events there were just tumbleweeds in this date range. Suggestions?

adam525i
adam525i Dork
9/9/22 1:43 p.m.

If you're into aviation then the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton is worth making a stop at if you're traveling on I75. The museum and parking are free but it won't be a short stop, I felt like I rushed when I visited and still spent over 6 hours there. It's an amazing collection only topped by the National Air and Space museums in DC (at the Mall and airport) in my opinion. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/22 3:31 p.m.

Google shows an east route and a west route. 

Ohio and Pennsylvania will have cool, fall temps similar to Toronto so for outdoor fun, I would focus south of there. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/9/22 3:33 p.m.

Yeah right now I'm planning to take the east route (with slight alterations) on one leg or another and drive TOTD, I'm flexible otherwise.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/22 3:37 p.m.

Roebling is near Savanah, GA due north of Jacksonville. Any track action happening there? 

Are you doing the track day at The Firm? 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/9/22 3:42 p.m.

I'm more than doing the FIRM track day, look who opened his big mouth and ended up organizing it cheeky

No track days at that time on Roebling according to MSReg.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/22 4:05 p.m.

Deals Gap, NC (The Tail of the Dragon) is more westerly. 

Id propose one route in and the other route out. See more country! 

This opens the possibilities of Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/9/22 4:37 p.m.

Yeah I suppose TOTD is at least as easy to reach from the west route laugh There's a Jzilla track day on Road Atlanta on the 19th, not exactly cheap and requires a shop inspection though...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/22 4:54 p.m.

Okay, new tangent focusing on fun and cheap things to do the one night you're stopping to break the trip into two long days rather than a mega-marathon day.  

One I did, I highly recommend.  Meet up with Dusterbd-Michael at his buddy's, Brother Dustin's place halfway down.  Eastern Suburb of Charlotte, NC but really right on your route.  Hang out in Brother Dustin's Dad's garage for the night.  Have a time you never forget and make a long time friend!  Drive his 1964 El Camino!  Eat BBQ!  See the AMC Spirit before it was ever touched. 

I'd might detour in Charleston SC just to gaze into the deep green and say I'd been near a Bentley Turbo R and see all the other toys The Man has!

If traveling the western route, I'd might try to hook up with Jeremy in Lexington, KY and ask to drive the Zoomboni.   Seeing wae in south Cincinnati would be worth it too just to revel in his Benz-amazement aura!  

That western route takes you to Metro Detroit. Stop to see that Corvair that can't be seen in Gainesville...yet. But some day! 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/9/22 5:32 p.m.

I've been thinking about making some visits, I'd just have to work out who's *not* going to be traveling to/from the Challenge or working at a time when I can pass by cheeky

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/22 5:35 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The Corvair is a safe bet.devil

I too won't be in Gainesville and I'm about an hour off your route. 

GameboyRMH said:

Yeah I suppose TOTD is at least as easy to reach from the west route laugh There's a Jzilla track day on Road Atlanta on the 19th, not exactly cheap and requires a shop inspection though...

TOTD is usually a E36M3show with cars and bikes this time of year. Don't expect much open road. I far prefer the six gaps in North GA. If you want to do JZilla you can self-tech your car, don't need a shop. Great group of guys and Road Atlanta is a fabulous track (if you havent been there before). 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8n3k70dZxtZKR9L5cp9IbJgOSYIUucyQRVMaHHpOrIfYA0QJ6lnTPUtPXrfCNnRs