2 3 4
pres589
pres589 Dork
4/22/11 11:42 p.m.

Q45's have always been interesting to me, but I always preferred the version that showed up in 1997; if I ever felt the need for a barge, that's something I would consider.

Also a Fairmont with a 302 and a T-5 and dual quads or an EFI swap.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
4/23/11 9:23 a.m.

Hate to be predictable, but my recipe for a fun beater at any price is to buy the best 3 Series you can get. E30s are a bit small for your size requirements, but you should be able to find an E36 328 for your budget. A search of local CL returned 1 328 and 3 325s in good running condition under $2,500.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/23/11 2:36 p.m.

After working for BMW for 4 years, I'd take my chances with an E30 ;)

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/23/11 6:48 p.m.

What about the E39's?

BTW.. Great thread. I'm already googling Q45's... I really like M45's 2003 variety, but they are out of my price range.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
4/24/11 2:05 p.m.

I bet the prices on those M45s will fall pretty low too, they we're never popular new but I think they look mean.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/24/11 2:19 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: I bet the prices on those M45s will fall pretty low too, they we're never popular new but I think they look mean.

They're already in the $10k range.. Super mean car, I agree.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/24/11 2:34 p.m.

Here's the thing about the m45.. It's rated 17/23mpg.. Wouldn't a 540 give you similar performance with better mileage?

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/24/11 9:54 p.m.

the Y34 based M45s are GREAT cars

kinda rare though as they're only 2003-2004

also, they are thirsty. real thirsty.

However, they are pretty slick looking. The Japanese bumpers help alot

Gloria

Also, it was the LAST of the Nissan Gloria/Cedric lineup...

Cedric Cedric Gloria Gloria

and back on the subject of the Q45: F50 F50 Facelift Facelift

However, I always thought the Y33 based Cedrics were the best looking Y33 I loved those lights

and while I'm on the subject of VIP style... How about a VIP Style Astro Van

Yeahbuddy Astro astro

dculberson
dculberson Reader
4/25/11 10:11 a.m.
huge-O-chavez wrote: Here's the thing about the m45.. It's rated 17/23mpg.. Wouldn't a 540 give you similar performance with better mileage?

What 540? EPA lists the 2003 540i at 14/21mpg manual, 15/19mpg or 16/22mpg auto. A 1994 at 15/21mpg. They're pretty thirsty, too.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
4/25/11 12:09 p.m.

Hate to tell you this, but you're not going to find a better car than the S6 you already own that meets all of your requirements for $2500. They just don't exist in comparison to what's sitting in front of your house currently.

You just need to spend a little time and get some parts from Weldon to make your S6 more reliable. Mine was frustrating when I first had it, but now it's a tank and never breaks.

Seriously, nothing beats it for 4 door, 4 adult comfort, all weather traction and fun, especially since you've RS2'd it.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/25/11 4:05 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Hate to tell you this, but you're not going to find a better car than the S6 you already own that meets all of your requirements for $2500. They just don't exist in comparison to what's sitting in front of your house currently. You just need to spend a little time and get some parts from Weldon to make your S6 more reliable. Mine was frustrating when I first had it, but now it's a tank and never breaks. Seriously, nothing beats it for 4 door, 4 adult comfort, all weather traction and fun, especially since you've RS2'd it.

it's more a question of money. I would like to sell my S6 for $7500 and buy another car for $2500 or less and then have all that extra money to:

go on vacation

fix my house

spend time with my family

wasn't looking to buy a 'better car'. Just one that I could care less about and still have fun. My S6 sits and rots 6-7 days a week. Isn't it better off in the hands of someone who will actually enjoy it?

docwyte
docwyte Reader
4/25/11 4:51 p.m.

Yeah, but a $2500 car is going to cost you WAY more than that once you get it home and see all the deferred maintenance/body issues it has.

It's always cheaper to stay with the devil you know vs one you don't unless you're talking about a new enough car that is under warranty still. Then you just lose your shirt on the depreciation.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
4/26/11 9:31 a.m.

Then again, he IS talking about an Audi. It's not unlikely that he'll end up with a repair bill just as high as the "deferred maintenance" required on a $2500 car.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/26/11 10:08 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Yeah, but a $2500 car is going to cost you WAY more than that once you get it home and see all the deferred maintenance/body issues it has. It's always cheaper to stay with the devil you know vs one you don't unless you're talking about a new enough car that is under warranty still. Then you just lose your shirt on the depreciation.

which is why I want to get something like a rusty piece of crap that I'll literally drive to dust... I walk, ride my bike and take the train to commute. I don't NEED a car anymore

I've been eyeballing some old Chevy Malibus (G-body) lately too...

either way, this thread isn't just about me... it's a 'fun beaters for EVERYONE' thread.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
4/26/11 10:16 a.m.
chapel wrote: which is why I want to get something like a rusty piece of E36 M3 that I'll literally drive to dust...
chapel wrote: I totally concur, I'd love a 9C1, but would prefer an Impala SS just because I'm a fancy man who enjoys fancy things.

Buy the Caprice...

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/26/11 9:52 p.m.

The 4.0 Cherokee is also looking like a good idea... I enjoyed my old one enough and would love to beat the bag out of it... maybe hit some shrubbery

I searched boston CL for Cherokees 669... that's a lot of cherokees

Vigo
Vigo Dork
4/27/11 12:58 a.m.

I also like the cherokee idea. Ive had 3 and am getting another one from a friend soon.

Honestly, they are great cars to treat badly. They are sturdy and reliable and generally you dont have to 'care' too much about them.

In addition to this, they are fairly quick. I watched a friend run 16.0 in a perfectly stock one on tall tires and a 3.07:1 rear gear just 2 weekends ago.

Swap in lower rear gears (like from any automatic one, 4cyls had 4:10s even) and add simple motor mods and you've got a solidly 15sec 1/4 car, which oddly enough, is what an impala SS or b13 se-r is. Some people have hit 14s in bolt-on cherokees... as long as you can resist the girant tire bug.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/27/11 7:46 a.m.

I <3 my Cherokee.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eS76E8NQpgC4X2yVfqScLqzc7fkfQj88kMNz25LZEakqQoKTDMHTxpm2plYfpX4D