1 2 3
szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
2/12/18 11:57 a.m.

Even the "normal" last generation Celica GT is fun, and you might stand a better chance of seeing one of these in the appraisal lane.  That said, you will be leaning pretty far back in one - I sit up pretty straight and my head nearly touches the roof in one, and I'm like 5'8 lol.  On the Honda side of things I picked up a third generation Prelude for under $2k last year. I love the way it feels, but aftermarket support is not the best.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/12/18 12:55 p.m.

I have been looking for months and never seen any TSXs or Matrix XRS/Vibe in anywhere NEAR the $2k limit the OP mentioned. I haven't been looking, but I really doubt you can get a decent Celica GT for that little scratch either. Again, maybe LA area is a better market than up here. 

I do see loads of Miatas not too much over that price. People keep saying the NA is getting more expensive, but I'm not really seeing that reflected much in asking prices. Maybe what you get is less of a nice car though (I'm sure they have higher miles by now.)

FWIW, I'm 6'3" and had enough room in my NA. I did drive an older one with a sagging top that my head touched. The foamectomy would have helped. 

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
2/12/18 2:22 p.m.

It sound like OP is looking at trade in cars, so they will likely be cheaper than typical sale price, and need some servicing regardless.

I picked up a Matrix XRS off CL last year with a worn clutch for $1200.  I was easily under 2k even after a clutch kit, brakes, and some overdue maintenance.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
2/12/18 3:23 p.m.

That can be a difficult pricepoint, as a lot of fun cars right around $2,000 might need a lot of freshening.  Check into the 2003-2005 Saab 9-3s.  They are not as tunable for crazy HP as the prior generation 9-3s, but parts are pretty cheap and easily obtained, and the cars are fairly reliable and easy to work on.

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/14/18 3:56 a.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie :

Funny you mention the Celica. Around when I first got hired a nice Celica was bought. Sat in it and ya I had the seat all the way back but it was pretty good. Still kicking myself for not buying that..... 

whenry
whenry Reader
2/14/18 8:02 a.m.

This has been my DD formula for over 30 years: buy used sporty car and drive it until it develops reliability issues or you find something else that calls your name.  Started with RX7's and then drove my way thru MR-2's and Miatas.  I have owned 15 different Miata and am driving an NC now.  Yes, it is the obvious answer and the right one too.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/14/18 9:37 a.m.

^15 Miatas! You might have the record here. 

Rodan
Rodan Reader
2/14/18 5:21 p.m.

And my friends were starting to call me a hoarder with 4... cheeky

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/14/18 6:07 p.m.

So I have an opportunity to buy a Miata for what seems a pretty good price from work. 

A 99' with 82,316 miles for about $2,500 before taxes and various fees. 

Pros: Low miles; clutch is good; engine sounds fine; interior is in good shape apart from just being dirty, no major wear; tires have a good amount of life left on them; pioneer head unit. 

Cons: Shifter has some problems the top has a tear along the top of the rear window at the seal, duct tape was covering it from the inside haha. The paint is faded, especially on the hood and left rear fender. Not a big deal. 

So it was traded in yesterday, carmax thinks they can get quite a bit more than $2,500 for it at auction. But employee perks get me the car at cost. Plugged in a scanner and nothing popped up. Next week the head mechanic, who I'm buddy buddy with, is going to take it in the shop and completely look it over. I know there's a lot more I can look at on my own, didn't have much time today. Also I actually fit comfortably, walking up to it I never thought I would. Might have to swap the nardi wheel for a smaller one, just barely hits my legs 

Good deal? Other things I should be looking for?  

Rodan
Rodan Reader
2/14/18 7:12 p.m.
Nicklovin said:

So it was traded in yesterday, carmax thinks they can get quite a bit more than $2,500 for it at auction.

I think Carmax is smokin' something... 

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/14/18 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

You should see what they buy... There's no limit. Non runners, crash victims etc 

Whatcha think of the deal?

Rodan
Rodan Reader
2/14/18 9:03 p.m.

I would put the retail value of that particular car at no more than $2500.   The mileage is low, but as bad as the paint is, you gotta wonder how it was treated...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
2/14/18 11:43 p.m.

I was going to hold off because of personal bias but for say six months or so until you get bored I'd say mid 90s 200sx.  I have an SE and an SE-R.  I enjoy both in the city.  Bought at $800 each.  smiley

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
2/15/18 3:32 a.m.

For 2.5k, I'd buy that assuming the mechanicals check out. That paint is rough, so I do wonder what kind of life it led. The other issues...well, it's an 18 year old convertible. 

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
2/15/18 8:30 a.m.

I don't know about everyone else, but 2500 gets you something much nicer at least when I search my local CL.  I wouldn't be so hard pressed on the low mileage, but I'd rather buy something with 150k on the clock that's clean and shows signs to have been well maintained vs. something with half the mileage that's going to need work including paint which can be $$$.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/15/18 8:44 a.m.

In some circles, people pay big $$$$ for a paint reveal like on the left rear....wink

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/16/18 3:43 p.m.

In reply to penultimeta :

That's what I'm thinking as well, could've had a rough life. Could've just been bad luck with the paint. Gonna look it over some more tomorrow 

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/16/18 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Stanger2000 :

Shoot I wish I lived wherever you are. If the mechanicals are good, which I'm going to check out more as time allows, this would be a pretty good deal in my area even with the paint. Although I wouldn't repaint the whole car it doesn't bother me, if anything maybe the hood. 

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/16/18 3:54 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

That's for sure haha

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
2/16/18 4:11 p.m.

Random thoughts RE: the Miata, for what it's worth, I paid about $2300 for an NA Miata in similar condition.  Getting it back to decent daily driver condition (that you would actually take to "civilized" places) will probably cost you a couple grand, depending on how much of the work you do yourself.  After putting a couple grant into it, you wouldn't make money, but probably wouldn't lose it either.  Mine is worth almost exactly what I have in it.  It will immediately be an entertaining beater at no almost no cost whatsoever.  I'm 6'2" and am comfortable with the car after a "foamectomy".   I have, however, found NB's seem to have less interior space than NA's.  Don't plan on using it to run parts for your truck unless you don't mind throwing things on the seat and riding with the top down.  Nothing over about 3 ft long fits in the trunk, no matter which way you turn it. 

For me, the Miata is my "other car".  Looking for a DD, I ended up with a Yaris 5 speed.  It's small, light, economical, and will probably run forever assuming I don't hit anything larger than a ground squirrel with it.  MPG's are a solid 30 with city driving only, 40 or more with highway only.  They are "fun" in the sense that they are underpowered, light, small and easy to toss around.  You can pretty much put the gas to the floor and steer without ever breaking the law.  A hatch version would probably be a decent parts runner.  My son has a Protege5.  That would also be a great choice in California.  In Michigan, they are a favorite meal of the "tin worm".

Rodan
Rodan Reader
2/16/18 5:58 p.m.
kazoospec said:

I have, however, found NB's seem to have less interior space than NA's.  Don't plan on using it to run parts for your truck unless you don't mind throwing things on the seat and riding with the top down.  Nothing over about 3 ft long fits in the trunk, no matter which way you turn it. 

The NAs just feel roomier, and if you pull the armrests off the door panel, they are quite a bit roomier.  Unfortunately the NB armrests don't come off...

As far as the trunk, It won't even fit a full size NC tire...  My wife had a nail in one of her tires, so I went to throw it in the NB to get it repaired, and it wouldn't fit in the trunk... ended up taking our truck.  Better than a 370Z Roadster though... you'd be lucky to fit a computer keyboard in that thing's trunk! cheeky

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
2/19/18 5:41 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Awesome, another supporter for the miata..... becasue it's becoming really close to happening haha. I'm honestly comfy in the miata, might do a foamectomy down the line if the need develops. Like you said there definately isn't much luggage space at all, but that doesn't bother me at all since the most I'll ever put in there is my school and work stuff which I already test fitted. Funny you mention throwing things on the seat, in actuallity it could happen down the line. I've done similar things in camry, my family does construction so it happens on occasion. 

I've been driving and poking around the miata on and off during free time when I can and I'm liking it more and more. I do plan on making it more civilized, although I'm planning on doing a wrap. I have experience with vinyl wrap and painting, so I could go either way. I'm definitely not a professional but with my experience I'm pretty confident that I can fix it up myself, most likely one panel at a time so I'm not tempted to rush though things causing a screw up. If I wrap it I'm looking at roughly $400 in materials, and that's leaving a lot of wiggle room. Paint I'm not sure on a dollar amount, but it helps that I already have all the tools I'll need for prep and execution. 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
2/19/18 6:19 p.m.

I'd buy that Miata for $2500. It's not a screaming deal, and i definitely dont think Carmax is getting "way more" for it at auction, but it looks better than most similarly priced Miatae i see around here. Give me bad paint over rust and E36 M3ty mods any day.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
2/19/18 6:53 p.m.

That Miata looks like me after a bad sunburn.  I've only seen clearcoat peel like that on cars that have had a repaint in their past.

Then again I live in the frozen north where things usually rust long before significant sun damage happens.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
2/19/18 8:07 p.m.

As long as your mechanic looks it over, I'd say it's a good buy. You could spend a lot of time not finding a nicer fun and cheap car than that. The bad top is probably the worst part. Does it leak? You might spray a hose on it and see what happens. 

Check under the carpet behind the seats (on the little shelf there) and in the trunk for signs of water. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lta0lf5M3vF7pLSJBIW65Yb0doHGWxdc8jF08UN0QiSqjK2TPeN9iXIeKyUW80UC