1 2 3
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
3/30/11 1:04 p.m.
dculberson wrote: That's interesting! I'd bet that a Consulier GTP would fetch a *lot* more in 20 years than it does now. As far as Mosler being the next Enzo Ferrari, I think that ship has sailed; Mosler's been doing good stuff but after 27 years of trying you'd think he would have hit it big if he was going to be Ferrari level. What do I know, though.

You never know - hitting it big can take both the right car and the right event. The Consulier and its related designs were too bizarre looking to capture the public imagination. The MT900 has been pretty well covered by automotive journalists, but it may take the right racing win, or the right celebrity being seen in one, to make the general public see them as a status symbol.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
3/30/11 1:15 p.m.

I be Lotus's will go up in the future, e30 M3 but it's not really new, e92 M3 in a long time.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/30/11 6:42 p.m.

Fingers are crossed for Triumph Stags here....

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/31/11 4:58 p.m.
Keith wrote: I can see the Integra Type R being worth something in the future.
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/31/11 5:01 p.m.

Interestingly, I got an email from Mosler---they're selling off their Consuliers and those will be featured in their June ad.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/31/11 5:07 p.m.

The first Acura NSX's. A good mix of rarity, hand-built, new at the time technology and good looks.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
3/31/11 7:06 p.m.

I'm thinking Saleen S7's and similar. GTO similarities: fast enough to scare the living E36 M3 out of the driver, low production numbers (not readily available but most sources guess at around 200-300), stop you in your tracks good looks.

The NSX, while a hella cool car that I love (it's on my lottery list) is common enough that the limited production aura won't be there. Remember, there were only 39 250 GTO's built and that has a lot to do with their value.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
3/31/11 7:13 p.m.

I would say Z3 M Coupes could do OK. The earlier S52 powered ones are relatively affordable (around $11k according to KBB). They were the last BMW I had any desire to actually buy, and can be made pretty fast with a diet of race seats and some suspension work. The looks are definitely love/hate, but there are lots of people that loved them with not so many ever produced. And that number is constantly decreasing.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
3/31/11 7:22 p.m.
Keith wrote: Now, if you're trying to figure out what the next stupid priced street car is going to be, look at what was hot when the generation with money was in high school. Then mix in rarity and over-the-top restorations. Factory hot-rod options are a big draw, especially if they're really homologation specials and not just street packages. I'd guess that one of the body-in-white Mustangs could be worth more in the future than a Laguna Seca edition Boss.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was the '86 (87?) Monte Carlo Aero or whatever that was with the bubble back window.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Reader
3/31/11 7:35 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was the '86 (87?) Monte Carlo Aero or whatever that was with the bubble back window.

My old college roommate has one of those in a garage waiting for restoration

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/31/11 7:46 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote: The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was the '86 (87?) Monte Carlo Aero or whatever that was with the bubble back window.

IIRC, the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 AeroCoupe had lower production numbers.

If I were to pick just one car to be the "one"....it would have to be the McLaren F1.

plance1
plance1 Dork
3/31/11 9:21 p.m.

I refuse to mention my pics... every time I do, I jinx myself, someone goes out, puts "my future car" in a movie and jacks up the price.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/31/11 9:35 p.m.

G8 GXP manual, very few made it to the streets before the plug was pulled

GlennS
GlennS Dork
3/31/11 10:25 p.m.

My rule is RARE, interesting, Lusted after by the kids.

Ever kid wanted the sweet muscle car back in the 60's but not everyone got the one they always wanted. Now years later those same kids are nearing retirement and have worked their whole lives and still never gotten their car and are willing to pay.

Cars i know tons of guys wanted when i was in high school that fit this criteria

Integra Type R, top shelf Evos & StI's, S2000"s(think club sport), NSX, Lotus elise, was there a rare AWD eclipse? 3rd gen RX7

.....gah i want most of those now. i need to stop.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/31/11 10:27 p.m.
JFX001 wrote:
CGLockRacer wrote:
IIRC, the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 AeroCoupe had lower production numbers.

I saw one on Dubs the other day. I had a sad...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
3/31/11 10:43 p.m.

99 Eclipse GSX (rare 1 year only white face gauges and black interior) and 98 TSi AWD will pull decent scratch. Same could be said for a clean 1990-1991 TSi AWD with popups.

EVOs are cheap now, but I could see clean ones bringing some money in 15 years. Most of them have been wrecked or ruined by now, and the EVO 10 is nowhere near as awesome as an EVO 9.

Fox bodied ASC-McLaren Mercury Capri

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
4/1/11 8:17 a.m.

I'm with Keith. The GTO is special because almost all of them have a racing history in at least somewhat major events, many driven by big name drivers back in the day. There simply aren't many cars like that anymore that can be street driven, not even in supposedly street stock series'.

For street cars, I'd say in Japanese camps, something like the Type R Integra is a sure thing for the future, and the Twin Turbo Supra is also a pretty safe bet.

Americans; I'd include the more recent Shelby Mustangs and Roush versions, plus the latest Z06's. Then you have the lastest Challengers and Cameros, but I think the jury is still out on those. The Ford GT's from a couple of years ago I think are ok, and the Saleens already mentioned.

The Germans; I think the E36 M3 will eventually be sought after if an original version can still be found. They get pretty riced up for a German car, or is that schnitzeled up? The E30 M3 is already on the way. I'd like to think nice 944 Turbos would be worth something, but I doubt ever very much. But a few Porsches in the more expensive column might, such as a GT2 or GT3.

My measuring points are, were they ever popular enough that kids dreamed about them and put up pictures of them in their rooms? Were they considered good looking? Did they have something other than looks to back them up? Do they have any competition history? Were they at least somewhat expensive new? Are they smoother rather than angular in design? Are they going to be rare at all? If you don't have at least a good number of these, than I don't think they will ever be worth big money.

Of course many lesser collectible cars may be more fun to actually own. At least I hope so, as that will be where my shopping pool will be!

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/1/11 9:10 a.m.

I think the era of cars being produced that will be valuable in the future is long past. Most cars produced in the last 10-20 years will be unusable before they are old enough to be worth much. I think it will be more the age of cars (as in they were built before the possibility of restoration ended), and all the 60s-early 80s cars that are mostly overlooked now will increase in value later.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/1/11 9:16 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: I think the era of cars being produced that will be valuable in the future is long past. Most cars produced in the last 10-20 years will be unusable before they are old enough to be worth much.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what people were saying about muscle cars back in the 80's.

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/1/11 9:16 a.m.

I saw a GMC Cabellero last night on the street.

I do not think the GMC Cabellero will be a "future GTO" because while it is rare it is also an El Camino with a different badge.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/1/11 10:53 a.m.

5.0 Foxbody Mustang Notchbacks (ever seen a truly bone-stock example? Me neither) Also, Foxbody Saleens

Integra Type Rs

WRX STis

CRX Si

Firehawk F-bodies

Escalade (I hate 'em, but people love 'em and can't afford 'em, meaning they may want them later in life).

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/1/11 2:11 p.m.

Well I was including most 80s cars in the statement.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
4/1/11 4:02 p.m.

Testarossas look like they're at the bottom of their price curve right now. They were iconic in the 80s. They are 12 cyl Ferraris. There were probably a lot of them sold, but you don't see them around too often.

In the next ten or twenty years, as all the kids who watched Miami Vice start pushing into their 40s and 50s, the prices will go up.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
4/1/11 4:06 p.m.

I plan on holding on to my TR8. Couldn't care less if it goes up. In fact hope it doesn't. To spend millions for a car, any car, is pure insanity.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/1/11 5:38 p.m.

Cadillac XLR-V.

All the ingredients to be a future megacollectible.

jg

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WXhbTsV0IfBf3HOumv4O94GYqNLIbYxWjDA7pGVK76penTjvoFtjKiawdSY9QHjS