1 2 3 4
Raze
Raze New Reader
11/17/08 7:01 p.m.

If anyone is serious, I'm fairly sure I know where a running T-type is in northern GA for 6k... It is black but the grille was not blacked out and it had a hood ornament, but all the turbo badging was there, and the wheels looked right. If I had the money it would already be in my garage...

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
11/17/08 7:43 p.m.

A mercedes 190e 2.5 16V Evo1 and Evo2 are pretty damned cool cars with some racing heritage. I think Cosworth had something to do with this things. They are definitely rare, I've seen a few Evo1, but never and Evo2.

What about a BMW M6/M5 anything with that s38 engine.

I agree about the some of the other Japanese cars like the Supra and others that were bought, modified, and raced to death. Not many of them will be left. How many civic hatchbacks do you see, I remember when that was the car to have. The NSX is cool too!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
11/17/08 8:10 p.m.

Dodge Intrepid Nascar Edition.......guffaw....I nearly kept a straight face

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
11/17/08 8:47 p.m.

93 LE Miata. Maybe. It's my favorite color combination out of them all and I'm hoping that counts for something. Or the "Color Cars" (more miatae). There was only one of each color made. Or the Club Sport editions. Something like 25 made with a soft top and 25 made with a hardtop and no soft top. They were a huge sales flop and super rare. That's the formula for collector cars right?

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
11/17/08 9:09 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I think the 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies are too flimsy and "disposable" to be really collectible.

I did too, until my brother sold his. He had a black '99 Formula WS6. After researching it, I found out it was 1 of 175. Oops.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/17/08 11:28 p.m.

on the GNX note, they trashed one up in the new F&F trailer

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/17/08 11:34 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: on the GNX note, they trashed one up in the new F&F trailer

Something tells me that was a Regal hussied up to look like a GNX

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
11/18/08 7:09 a.m.

SRT-8 Challenger / Chargers or the Ram SRT-10.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
11/18/08 7:33 a.m.

Ram SRT-10's can be had for a fairly reasonable sum, especially considering the Viper drivetrain and compared against what a 4x4 diesel truck goes for.

EDIT - a quick 200 mile radius search here in SW Ohio on autotrader.com turned up 16 hits ranging from $21-37k with an average price of $26.6k.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
11/18/08 9:44 a.m.

Even though Superbirds and Cobras were a tough sell when new, they were still extremely popular, only the ones that liked them couldn't afford one. A guy my dad used to work with bought a new 427 Cobra in the early '70's still sitting on the dealer lot (showroom to be exact), and although it was less than new, you could have bought a pair of Mustangs for what it cost. So my criteria for what will be pricey later still stands, it had to be popular when new, even if it was a tough sell. How many kids wanted a hemi Road Runner but had to settle for a 318 Fury instead?

OK, now to the real answer. For big money, I see the TT Supra as an easy number one among the Japanese cars, followed very close by an original Integra Type R. They're pretty rare in both cases, and in the case of the Supra, already will sell for what they did new given a good example. Up to that point, it's arguably the best car Japan had ever produced. Minor cars include the TT RX-7, Turbo MR2, and I'll throw in the Turbo Starion, as very very few of them exist anymore, and they were a popular car in their time.

US: Here we have a few choices, the C5 and C6 limited edition cars, some of the Mustangs, the new Challenger, etc., but to me, the GNX maybe the sleeper early on. Watch for some of the others to catch up as time goes by. The '90's Impala SS is also a good bet, as they still sell for more money that I would have thought possible. They also sold a similar Caprice SS that was very similar and almost unheard of, that may be a true sleeper as well to diehard GM fans.

Germany: Z8, E30 M3, Z3 & Z4 M Coupe, GT2 and GT3, and 993 Turbo due to being the last air cooleed Porsche. Lesser Cars: E36 M3, 944 Turbo and 968.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
11/18/08 10:25 a.m.

The reason why Yenkos are so rare? They were so over powered, the kids that could talk their parents into buying one, then turned them into a crushed wreck in no time

Same with original Cobras.

Super birds and Bees? They rotted out as fast as they drove!

1960's brakes and tires made these cars " born to be rare!"

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
11/18/08 3:30 p.m.

I think Rx7s will eventually be valuable. There is no market for numbered shelby dodges unless they are in perfect shape, if they are ratty they are considered parts cars and not worth even $1k whole sometimes. I think its going to be mostly the japanese sports and gt cars, the sporty fwd honda stuff, and the american muscle car types that people will want. European cars, fwd american stuff, and things like that just dont appeal to most people.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/18/08 4:13 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: 93 LE Miata. Maybe. It's my favorite color combination out of them all and I'm hoping that counts for something. Or the "Color Cars" (more miatae). There was only one of each color made. Or the Club Sport editions. Something like 25 made with a soft top and 25 made with a hardtop and no soft top. They were a huge sales flop and super rare. That's the formula for collector cars right?

I don't think there are any unmodified 2003 Club Sports. I've actually had my hands on a pretty high percentage of them, and every one I've seen has at least had a radio added. Or AC. The most extreme is probably the one we disassembled with 80 miles (not 80k, 80) and rebuilt with a big engine and big turbo.

The one thing that's missing in most of the cars listed as future collectibles is a race history. The drag race Challengers (should they be successful) are the closest to that. Viper Competition Coupes, Radicals, cars like that are the ones that are the factory special performance models. And that includes the ITR and the GTX.

The 323 GTX was a homologation special and has rally history, the Mazdaspeed MX-5 turbo Miata was simply a sales tool to keep a lagging platform alive as the next generation came. It was slower than the turbo Miatas that had been built by the aftermarket for a decade. If there is such a thing as a pristine GTX, that's going to be the valuable one.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
11/18/08 5:14 p.m.

There were competition package dodge shadows and daytonas too, and they are pretty rare (if anyone has seen the red one lap of america daytona, that is an example). I think they are probably some of the more valuable turbo dodges.

dyintorace
dyintorace HalfDork
11/18/08 5:21 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: E30 M3

Keith mentioned factory homologation models. I agree with that wholeheartedly. And agree with Josh regarding the e30 M3. It existed solely so BMW could go race it.

augustus
augustus New Reader
11/18/08 8:02 p.m.

Possibly a lower buck car but I think the Golf Rallye which was built for homologation purposes should bring a fair amount of change in the future and how about the VW Corrado? They are hardly found anywhere near stock, most are torn down and used for parts, also they were sort of a flop... only thing missing from the equation is the power. I may be biased on this point though.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing New Reader
11/18/08 8:10 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Dodge Intrepid Nascar Edition.......guffaw....I nearly kept a straight face

All of the MSE(motorsport edition) cars are rare. That being said I would do horriable and discusting things to never drive an intrepid.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/18/08 8:22 p.m.

I think there's another element here that a lot of people seem to be missing.

Yenkos were not only rare and overpowered, but they were the ultimate version of a very popular car. Same with classic Shelbys - Everyone in that generation has memories of Camaros and Mustangs, and the Yenkos and Shelbys were the best you could get.

I was racking my brain trying to figure out non-Domestic cars for this list, and the Integra Type R is the only one that fully qualifies. Everyone has been around Integras, they're popular for modification and racing, and the Type R is the very rare ultimate version of that car. If Honda had chose to import the Civic Type R, I would add that to the list as well.

I don't believe that the Miata is popular enough outside of motorsports, nor has a well-known enough rare/ultimate version for any to capture the hearts of tomorrow's car investor. The Neon has the ACR and the SRT-4... of the two, I'd give the nod to the SRT-4 as being the later collector version just because more people know what you're talking about when you mention them.

Barrett-Jackson isn't auctioning just cars - they're selling these people back some portion of their youth.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
11/18/08 8:40 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I don't believe that the Miata is popular enough outside of motorsports, nor has a well-known enough rare/ultimate version for any to capture the hearts of tomorrow's car investor.

Go check on prices for pristine low mile 93 LEs. Or 99 10AEs. The 92 yellows and the Evo oranges have a following too. Granted these are mostly within the Miata community, but that community is huge.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/19/08 2:06 a.m.

Those cars might be selling for a bit of a premium, but it's "that's a lot of money for a 15-year-old Miata" premium, not "holy zoinks!" money. The problem is that they're not really exceptional, mechanically speaking. A 1993 LE is just a black Miata with a red interior and the same (poor) suspension that was used on the 1994-97 R package. A 1999 is a normal Miata with the 6-speed, dipped and blue and given sparkly wheels. The 1992 yellow and Evo orange/gold don't even have token mechanical differences.

These differences are enough to make Miata obsessives pay a bit more, but I don't think they're enough to command big premiums for anyone but the 2040 Pebble Beach crowd. By that point, any Miata with four-digit mileage and the original air in the spare tire will be over priced and undriveable :)

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
11/20/08 11:06 a.m.

I'm hanging on to all the stock parts from my ITR, you never know. Got the dampers in a closet somewhere...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/20/08 11:49 a.m.

If you want to know what the Miata market will look like in 30 years, look at the MGB market now.

So, the Shelbys and Yenkos were The Daddy not just on the street, but on the racetrack as well. They were created to win, not to be street cars. What else fits?

Anything built to legalize parts for racing, as opposed to special editions intended to remind people of the racing heritage. And cars that won on the racetrack, not lame ducks.

There are a number of Subarus that meet that criteria, although they weren't sold in the US. Back when the WRX wasn't just an Impreza Turbo, and an STi meant a hand-built special, there were some really special cars released. The 22B is already a high-dollar car, and it has all the cred to be a big money standout in the future as it is a standout model of an iconic car. It doesn't meet my homologation standard, but it's still on my list.

I think the Mercedes 190E 2.5 16v will do well, as benzbaron mentioned. And the E30 M3 lightweight.

I wonder if the rapid increase in performance now is overshadowing 5-year-old performance cars? The big muscle of the 60's and early 70's was followed by a big drop in power levels. Meanwhile, a base 2008 Corvette has 50 hp more than the 2001 Z06 did.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
11/20/08 12:05 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I think there's another element here that a lot of people seem to be missing. Yenkos were not only rare and overpowered, but they were the ultimate version of a very popular car. Same with classic Shelbys - Everyone in that generation has memories of Camaros and Mustangs, and the Yenkos and Shelbys were the best you could get.

Plus, they weren't built as 'limited editions', they just built enough of them to meet market demand and/or meet homologation requirements. I really can't think of any cars since then that meet the criteria - things like e30 M3 Evos are about as close as it gets, but they never had a rabid following in the US like a Mustang or Camaro, so in 30 years there won't be as many people here with big pockets willing to spend huge sums of money on them. It may be different in europe.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
11/20/08 1:04 p.m.
Will wrote: Will wrote: As for performance, anyone can build a fast car, but only one brand can give you a Shelby.

Well, Dodge and Ford might become one brand after the likely consolidation, but for now, there are at least 2 brands that can give you the Shelby name, not counting AC and the self-branded Shelby cars.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/20/08 1:53 p.m.

And chili.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ujow8rGoWYbLygh8U0ZNTD7ysBSyJd6uJuT98vsymsppZgx4VRwU1F6Qs6oIJ7jp