1 2
nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
5/25/12 8:36 p.m.

Why are you getting rid of the E46? My recommendation would have an E46 M3.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
5/25/12 10:29 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: As an owner of an RX8, I would ask how short a commute? RX8's have less issues when driven more than just a couple minutes at a time and tromped on regularly.

11 miles each way. "Tromped on" is not a problem with anything "I" drive.

rotard
rotard Dork
5/25/12 10:35 p.m.

My RX8 was "tromped on" regularly and all of the other great stuff; it still lost compression. Get an RX8 that's still under the engine warranty, and enjoy. The 350z was not nearly as much fun to drive as the RX8, so I would imagine that the G35 is even worse.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
5/25/12 10:38 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Why are you getting rid of the E46? My recommendation would have an E46 M3.

E46 needs more time or money than I want to give it. I really don't like it that much. Way too hard to hang the tail out. It changes directions nicely but is too isolating. The E30 doesn't seem to want to change directions. Once I do get it turned in, I like the the way there rear can be slid. I owned an E36 325i and like it quite a bit. Interior was junk though. I find fun to maintenance ratio on BMWs to be too low.

What I really want in a 4 seat Miata with some grunt.

E46 M3 is still to expensive for me. Nothing sub $15k around here.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/26/12 7:38 a.m.

I really liked my G but it wasn't without issues. The worst is oil consumption...some have it some don't. Mine was ok at first...but after 2 years it was consuming 2 quarts every 250 miles. And that was with frequent oil changes etc. It is a very common seldom reported problem with these engines. Do a bit if research if you seriously look at one.

RX8's were on short list. If you want a car to drive like a miata...this is it. But you need to be dedicated to it and expect to spend some money. Not a lot of power but an awesome car to drive.

You might also want to look at an '05 plus mustang gt. Oh and mpg on my G was about 22 or so combined.

bgkast
bgkast New Reader
5/27/12 1:32 a.m.

Dang, even an RX-8 doesn't drink that much oil.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/27/12 7:15 a.m.

Is the Hyundai Genisis Coupe an option here?
Have they hit your price range yet?
I have no personal experience with them but I ask because I notice that the cars are nearly never mentioned around here.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
5/27/12 10:59 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Is the Hyundai Genisis Coupe an option here? Have they hit your price range yet? I have no personal experience with them but I ask because I notice that the cars are nearly never mentioned around here.

Around here the are still in the 20k+ range.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
5/27/12 12:13 p.m.

I've been very happy with my '09 RX-8 R3 so far. I only have experience with an older G35 coupe with auto. It was a fun car for back road cruising.

The RX-8 is just a telepathic driving machine. It is a big Miata. Yes, you do have to rev the snot out of it, but it is so nice and smooth.

If you do go for one, shop around. Make sure you get a compression test on the engine no matter what the records say. Check the plugs when you get it done and make sure they look good (brownish and fairly clean). Oil changes should be frequent, esp. if you track it. I plan on changing my oil every 3K miles or after every track day. If you can filter out the noise, RX8club has a lot of good info. Look for the stickies for first time buyers.

Good luck!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P96BEqKkPP56QxYHcup5suuVCFokkOiEwZ5IvitOAfPc0WEPQKw2QyHTjWrDhn74