1 2
Enyar
Enyar Dork
12/17/15 8:22 p.m.

New house, still trying to figure out what we need to buy for it. My parents keep asking what Santa is bringing for Christmas and since the bathrooms/kitchens are still in the planning phase I don't know what to tell them.

Until just now when the fluorescent lights in the garage were flickering on and off while I was trying to work on something (side note...should I just fix these? new ballast?)

I have one 4 foot fixture for a 20x22 (I think) garage. Ideally I would rock out like Corey Hart while I need to work on the car/bikes/boat/projects. What kind of fixtures and how many would you recommend?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/17/15 8:30 p.m.

LED. Lots.
Even more than you're thinking.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
12/17/15 8:38 p.m.

Modern thin bulb fixtures are like $10 a piece at walmart. Buy six, and a 12 pack of bulbs, and it will be so bright you'll never have an issue again.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/17/15 8:42 p.m.

17x27 basement shop. I have 13 4 foot fixtures so far, and it is still not enough. With white walls and a reflective floor.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/17/15 8:54 p.m.

As many 4ft T8 fixtures as the lighting circuit will handle. There isn't such a thing as too much light in a garage you work in until you hit a point of needing sunglasses.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/17/15 9:06 p.m.

I second the T8's. There is a school of thought to position them parallel to the cars, but I'm happy with mine across the garage. I've got 20 four foot fixtures in a 1200 square foot garage. It's enough.

Before you so anything, make sure your wiring is up to snuff. That flickering and slow starting could be a bad ground.

Go to garagejournal.com. There is a subforum dedicated to lighting and electrical in garages.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/17/15 9:07 p.m.

I could tan in our new barn, and with EVERYTHING running, including two 50 watt LED spotlights front and back, 12 LED strip fixtures, 4 LED counter sunk fixtures and 4 LED jelly jars, we draw 8.3 amps...

This is 6 fixtures

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
12/17/15 9:18 p.m.

I switched from a bunch of T5 florescents to Feit LEDs from Costco and I wouldn't go back if you paid me to. It's literally like night and day, especially in cold weather. I'm a LED convert, 100%.

Garage Journal thread on the Costco lights: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270879

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
12/17/15 9:19 p.m.

Get a Costco membership, then get Feit LED fixtures.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/17/15 9:36 p.m.

I had several cheap 4' fluorescent lamps and swapped out the bulbs for led replacement ones and couldn't be happier.

codrus
codrus Dork
12/18/15 2:13 a.m.

I went with GE "ET14" fixtures, which are flush-mount LED panels originally intended for drop ceilings but with an available drywall mounting kit. They're definitely not cheap, but I'm very pleased with the results.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/18/15 4:06 a.m.

Heated? Floresent.

Unheated? LED.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
12/18/15 5:15 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: make sure your wiring is up to snuff. That flickering and slow starting could be a bad ground.

No way is it a bad ground. More likely weak ballast or cold temps. This isn't a car, the grounds in residential wiring carry no current unless there is a short circuit.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
12/18/15 6:14 a.m.

While overhead lights are important I find that task lights above work spaces matter more. Nothing worse than casting a shadow on your workbench.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/18/15 6:40 a.m.
Dietcoke wrote: Modern thin bulb fixtures are like $10 a piece at walmart. Buy six, and a 12 pack of bulbs, and it will be so bright you'll never have an issue again.

A high output compact fluorescent fixture puts out more light than a traditional 4' fixture with about half the wattage, so you can double up fixtures and get 3-4x the light. LED hasn't gotten cheap enough for my household yet, but they are the future.

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
12/18/15 7:20 a.m.

At work, we swapped a good portion of the plant over to LED a few months ago and it's been awesome. Way brighter light in a more useful spectrum. Plus, the energy savings are expected to pay for the project within a few years. Go LED.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/18/15 8:33 a.m.

Over on the Garage Journal web board one of the members has been kind enough to create a number of lighting layouts with fixture recommendations for different size and shape garages. It's the sticky note at the top of this page: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

As for what kind of fixture to use, LEDs are rapidly coming down in price, but in my opinion two lamp x 48" T8 fluorescent fixtures are still the best bang for the buck and are available most anywhere.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/18/15 10:14 a.m.

I agree ^. I'm going with the James Industry LED lamps discussed on garagejournal, but fluorescent bulbs are cheaper by far, just not happy in the cold. You can always go LED in a few years when the tech is more mature. It looks like lumens/watt ratio will just keep improving.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/18/15 10:26 a.m.

I just picked up a couple of 4', two-strip LED shop light fixtures from Sam's Club. 40 watts, 4500 lumens. I tossed the receipt, so I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but I think it was $20 or $30 each. I hung one of them up and it's much nicer than the T8 fixture is replaced. Instant on, no ballast noise and doesn't make the garage radio hum. If there is one down-side, they could use a lens as the LED's are open, so if you inadvertently look up at them, it's a bit blinding compared to softer T8 bulbs. This could be a problem in a garage when you can often be under a car looking up and be staring at the glare of fixture above you.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/18/15 10:35 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I switched from a bunch of T5 florescents to Feit LEDs from Costco and I wouldn't go back if you paid me to. It's literally like night and day, especially in cold weather. I'm a LED convert, 100%.

I'll third this. I bought a couple to use in the garage. Garage is too small to work in so I just needed to see where stuff is and have something that worked in a cold, unheated garage.

They looked so good I went and got 10 more and redid all the lighting in the basement. Big improvement, especially in the workshop side.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
12/18/15 10:40 a.m.

I'm in a rental so I was kinda limited to what I could do, but I went from one center bulb in a single car garage to 4 of the FEIT LED fixtures from Costco - awesomely bright now, I can actually work on stuff after it gets dark outside. I think they're $40 a piece or so, but totally worth it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/18/15 12:23 p.m.

If it were me I'd get the LED Feit from Costco. I hate florescents. I'm stuck in florescent light all day at work I don't want to be bathed in it at home too.

Plus these particular LED's are reported to be MUCH brighter than florescents.

XLR99
XLR99 HalfDork
12/18/15 12:37 p.m.

So, something about Feit LEDs at CostCo...

Sounds like a no-brainer!

Also available from Amazon for $56 each, I just discovered.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
12/18/15 1:44 p.m.

These bad boys? I was looking on garage journal and it seems like in store they go for 20-35$. GJ also recommends some LED retrofit bulbs and fixtures which seem pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Feit-73991-4-Feet-Light-48-Inch/dp/B00MJUCU2A/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1450467812&sr=1-3&keywords=feit+led++light

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/18/15 1:55 p.m.

These are what we have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2BB98W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0T8GPTV8FDTGRC006S0G&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2105320602&pf_rd_i=desktop

9,000 lumen each. They make my T5HO lights in the shop look dim at a price premium of about $30 each.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3aj0IVnwCotGDxpjJFSgMPCzUktv44HICGA3kCJgtpQYvCmzGHbV0zZe7tYu7p87