1 2
Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/18/15 4:26 p.m.

These are the ones I got.

Amazon shows $56 but I got them from Costco for $34 each.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
12/18/15 6:54 p.m.

I went with 4 - t8's with 4 bulbs each and have been pretty happy with it in a 20x20 garage. It will be even better when I get around to painting everything white. Pretty solid but underestimated the 14' ceiling effect. My last setup in the 24x24 garage was affectionately known as the landing strip. I had come upon 14 4' 4 bulb flourescents free and just had to get bulbs and wire them. Rigged them one two switches for two modes Awesome & Awesomer...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/18/15 7:07 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: These are what we have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2BB98W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0T8GPTV8FDTGRC006S0G&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2105320602&pf_rd_i=desktop 9,000 lumen each. They make my T5HO lights in the shop look dim at a price premium of about $30 each.

Where did you get them for $30 ea? The Amazon link you posted shows $129.

I like those Feit fixtures - mainly because they have some sort of diffuser covering the LED's.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
12/19/15 8:17 a.m.

I have 11 8 foot/4 lamp T5 HO fixtures in about 1200 sq. ft. It's enough. Fixture placement is important - think carefully about how and where you'll be working. (I had to move a few fixtures to accommodate those things.). My shop is not heated and the fixtures have cold weather ballasts. Below 30 degrees, they're a bit dim until they warm up, but they're at full brightness after 5 minutes or so. They were also much cheaper than LEDs with similar output. I'll probably add one more fixture to fill in a slightly shadowed area and add some task lighting over the bench.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
12/19/15 9:37 a.m.

Feit 4' shoplight w/o reflective cover $29.95 @ Costco yesterday

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/19/15 11:18 a.m.

4ft fluorescent are the best bang for the buck unless you get a killer deal on the LEDs, or buy them in bulk from ebay/china. And even then, if you have to buy fixtures to mount LEDs, it will push you over the cost of fluorescent.

The Feit shoplight nets 65 lumens per $1

A T8 fixture is going to net more like 226 lumens per $1

The efficiency difference between them is surprisingly small.

FWIW, I went with 8x T8 dual bulb fixtures in a 29 x 29 garage. Its pretty bright, but I'd probably go with 2 more on each side next time. They are the cheapy $20 fixtures, electronic ballast. No flickering, instant on. Garage is unheated, but doesn't get very cold.

photo 1AED7449-900E-437B-9407-B70A3B05CDD4_zpsnotttvg9.jpg

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/19/15 11:26 a.m.

As mentioned, check the lumens on any cheap LED fixtures - they often don't have as many as a typical T8 fixture.

Another thing to consider: a big selling point on LEDs is their long lifespan, but for a garage where you most likely are only using the lights for a few hours a few nights a week that's not as important - fluorescents should last for years and years in that application.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/20/15 12:45 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: These are what we have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2BB98W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0T8GPTV8FDTGRC006S0G&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2105320602&pf_rd_i=desktop 9,000 lumen each. They make my T5HO lights in the shop look dim at a price premium of about $30 each.
Where did you get them for $30 ea? The Amazon link you posted shows $129. I like those Feit fixtures - mainly because they have some sort of diffuser covering the LED's.

Price premium AKA how much more they cost than my T5HO lights

pirate
pirate Reader
12/20/15 1:18 p.m.

My shop is 20' x 20' with 10' ceiling converted from a car port by adding walls and 16'x 8' garage door. The ceiling was painted a rather dark brown to match the trim of the house at that time. I painted the ceiling gloss white and added 6 fluorescent fixtures (2 bulb x 4 foot T 12 bulb) that were given to me. This was probably ten years ago when T 12s were still popular. Four of the fixtures are in the same direction with the two others in the center row at 90 degrees. I have plenty of light and don't think I would need more fixtures.

However, I think the key to the lighting is the white gloss paint on the ceiling and a light colored tan colored floor. Both reflect a lot of light. T 12 bulbs are still availible but will be replaced at sometime by T 8's at which time I will have to do something. At this time I think fluorescent fixtures give the best bang for the buck but fluorescent or LED still need a good reflective ceiling to get the most out of whatever you use.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
12/20/15 8:02 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote: make sure your wiring is up to snuff. That flickering and slow starting could be a bad ground.
No way is it a bad ground. More likely weak ballast or cold temps. This isn't a car, the grounds in residential wiring carry no current unless there is a short circuit.

Florescents require a plane near the bulb that is grounded to start correctly. They will start without it but they usually fail to start or flicker. Rapid start systems are more sensitive.

To help cold weather running on T8s, cover with T8 lamp covers and then with T12 covers. This will insulate the bulb.

I use 8' T-8 fixtures and a 500 watt metal halide set low for under hood work.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/16/18 3:56 a.m.

Zombie thread guys.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/16/18 5:32 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

And canoe! Ive never said anything even similar to the quoted text.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/16/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

i also wonder do you have photos for me, especially of the garage you are a little dress.   sounds hot.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/16/18 9:17 a.m.

But since the thread is back . . .

In my home I have a ledge around the Great Room with upwards firing fluorescent bulbs.  I had a case of bulbs but now they are gone and I want to change over to LEDs.

A friend from Australia was just over and he suggested no light fixtures, but instead LED tape.  I can't find such a beast.  My searches don't turn up anything either.  Does anyone know of such a beast &/or can tell me the proper term to search with?

I've got 20 fixtures to replace.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
5/16/18 9:57 a.m.

If you're really cheap and/or want o save some money...

https://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Splitter-Converter-Standard-Adjustable/dp/B01DVUDDC2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526482484&sr=8-3&keywords=multi+light+bulb+adapter

And then buy some 5000k LED bulbs and you're golden.

Here's a video to see one like it in action: https://youtu.be/VArbxYFazb0

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
5/16/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to carguy123 :

LED strips.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Daylight-Non-waterproof-Christmas-Decoration/dp/B00WQFP3AO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526482708&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=led+strip+5000k&psc=1

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
5/16/18 11:51 a.m.

Put two sets of these (16 lights total) in my 20x24 garage.  Like daylight now.  Don't know why I waited so long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079BC5SMY/

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/16/18 1:03 p.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

That's not the same thing.  I have some of those and they aren't very bright at all.  I showed them to the Aussie and he said they weren't what he was talking about either.

And that is all I get in my searches which is why I was hoping someone else had the great keyword to search under.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
5/16/18 2:04 p.m.

Well, zombie thread is relevant to my latest purchase. I bought these last year and just bought another 4 pack to make things even brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4LAOWB

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwEbhEV2hBGMMNhtXt4cQzE661EYSVXVWN1thDrXPnSNyhkPmcKWSuw4CltJU2qZ