Scottah
Scottah Dork
11/11/18 1:40 p.m.

On my 98 Eclipse GST (turbo). I put this car together with a new head gasket a few miles ago and have driven it little. Runs good but smells like a two stroke on startup and idle. Guessing it’s running rich but I don’t have a wide band sensor yet (buying soon). 

The car has nearly perfect compression so I’m not worried about rings. I have a blue toof dongle and the o2 sensors are reading as they should. Car still has the stock cat. Isn’t smoking either. I’ve sealed up all of the boost leaks too. No CELs. 

When I open the oil cap and get a whiff it smells strongly of gas. Dipstick smells like gas as well. 

I’m out of thoughts here. Car also takes around 4-5 cranks to start.  Could this be a faulty regulator bleeding down into the cylinders and washing into the oil? Bad injector? Thoughts are to change injectors and regulator with spares I have and change oil. Go from there. Any other things I could be missing? I don’t want to just be a parts changer. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/11/18 2:58 p.m.

Injectors are a good place to start.  Does it hold pressure after cycling the ignition?  If not you probably have a leaky injector, based on your other symptoms.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
11/11/18 5:24 p.m.

Upvoted for leaky injector(s). 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/11/18 6:08 p.m.

If the regulator has a vacuum hose, pull it off and make sure there isn't fuel coming past the diaphragm.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/11/18 7:30 p.m.

If it's running rich, and/or your PCV system is inoperative, and/or you don't get the oil hot, your oil is going to get a bunch of fuel in it.

Running rich causes ring wash.  You always get some fuel in the oil no matter what, but running rich makes it worse.  What is supposed to happen is the oil gets and stays hot enough for the fuel to not condense back out, but instead go out through the crankcase breather system.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8sYUPQdElDYVR7Z8W0NRmFPGupdgC0CH48hJUiLuycQzMxvhndhn1Twq8XCClaLo