carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/3/12 12:16 p.m.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this.

Stacey David is featuring a build up of the SL-C component car. I've only watched one episode but there are at least 3.

I'm not the biggest fan of Stacey as his laugh and hair do me in, BUT he usually is pretty good with what he presents on his builds so I record them and watch them at my leisure.

He's doing a good job on the SL-C. That chassis and suspension are gorgeous.

I have no idea what his final, as completed cost will be, but looking at what you get for $44,000 it almost looks GRMish for what you'll end up with.

Here's the first episode - SL-C build

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
4/3/12 2:27 p.m.

I've been watching that too. That is a sexy chassis and suspension.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/3/12 2:31 p.m.

I ran across the first episode this weekend. Gave me a reason to watch the show for once.

Sexy indeed.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/3/12 2:43 p.m.

I wonder how it compares to the Factory Five GTM. The GTM kit is about half the price and even has glass side windows versus lexan on the SL-C.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/3/12 5:34 p.m.

The SL-C is much more refined, chassis and suspensionwise.

As I understand it the series will be installing a Vette engine in it so you might be able to make some pretty close comparisons as far as performance is concerned.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/3/12 5:41 p.m.

If I could spend that kind of money on a toy, it would be the SL-C,

No parts off a wrecked Mustang here, all parts are custom and made for the finished car.

http://superlitecars.com/superlite-slc-intro/

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/3/12 5:47 p.m.
carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/3/12 5:49 p.m.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
4/3/12 10:49 p.m.

I think I'd prefer the factory five OEM parts considering you can buy the stuff at parts stores, junkyards etc, instead of waiting for parts from the company to come... from backorder..... in singapore

Max_Archer
Max_Archer New Reader
4/3/12 11:07 p.m.

Woah, this thing's actually pretty cool looking, I'd never seen one before. Like having your own Group C car. I wonder how it sizes up on track.

I hadn't seen Stacey on in years, last time I saw him he was still doing that truck show.

dlmater
dlmater Reader
4/4/12 7:28 a.m.

Caught a Gearz episode the other night and they were building the ls7 that is to be used in the SL-C for the show. GM has a new program where you can order a ls7 or ls9 crate engine, travel to the factory, and assemble your engine under the supervision of the factory engine builders. Most of the episode was filmed at GM with Stacy turning wrenches on the ls7. A 20 minute commercial for GM, but pretty cool nonetheless.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
4/4/12 8:50 a.m.

cool build

... but I'm waiting for Stacy to somehow work a guitar into the segment

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/4/12 10:27 a.m.

Holy crap, that thing is awesome. I guess I can see where the extra $20k goes in the build, those parts are beautiful.

@Aussie - you're thinking of the Cobra! The GTM doesn't have wrecked Mustang parts, it has wrecked Corvette parts! Heh. Assuming you don't buy the "complete kit." That has all new parts except for the drivetrain which is the same situation as the SL-C. But after seeing those pictures I know that the SL-C is certainly a few steps beyond the GTM. Which again makes sense given the vastly higher price.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/4/12 2:38 p.m.

Yes, this seems to be a step ahead of the GTM but both have some good ideas.

Parts are not sourced from Singapore, the special parts are made right here, but in case of a crash it would be faster to buy Corvette parts.

I can't wait to watch part 3.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
4/4/12 2:51 p.m.

You guys should definitely give Fran a call. I've been there, met him, and toured the shop. Used to frequent GT40s.com a lot. Fran is a great guy and the shop is absolutely going to make any car guy have problems walking.

WELL worth the trip IMHO.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
4/4/12 3:01 p.m.

Wow.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
4/4/12 3:35 p.m.

They fielded a car at last year's 13 Hour, Charge of the Headlight Brigade at VIR

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/4/12 4:20 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Wow.

OH MY YES!!!

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
4/4/12 6:34 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

I got to sit in that car at PRI. At the 13hr at VIR I was on the front straight, all the way to the right over the pit out blend line going 105+ in a SpecMiata. That thing blew by me like I was standing still. Scared the E36 M3 out of me! It was a dot in my mirror and then in turn 1 before I knew it!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
4/4/12 8:40 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: In reply to DukeOfUndersteer: I got to sit in that car at PRI. At the 13hr at VIR I was on the front straight, all the way to the right over the pit out blend line going 105+ in a SpecMiata. That thing blew by me like I was standing still. Scared the E36 M3 out of me! It was a dot in my mirror and then in turn 1 before I knew it!

We had a nice little battle with them, straight "tortoise and the hare" battle with our MX5. They ended up getting by us in the last hour, but we still won our class (STU). I was in love with it though, and that Lola that lasted 9 laps

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/4/12 9:02 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: More SL-C info

so all of the forces on the upper half of that suspension are loaded thru the 3/4" threads on that one rod end that is screwed into a piece of aluminum?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/4/12 9:32 p.m.
so all of the forces on the upper half of that suspension are loaded thru the 3/4" threads on that one rod end that is screwed into a piece of aluminum?

And that's different from a 100 other cars/suspensions how?

As they say, the proof's in the pudding. If it works, it works.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/4/12 10:17 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
And that's different from a 100 other cars/suspensions how? As they say, the proof's in the pudding. If it works, it works.

it just looks like something that might not deal with big potholes or other random obstacles that you'd see in the real world really well.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/4/12 10:49 p.m.

When you think about all the forces put on a wheel and tire and then look at the upright that's controlling it you begin to wonder why it doesn't just break off, but it doesn't - usually.

Wasn't there a loose tire at the Challenge this year?

On the arms keep in mind that it would be unusual for all the force to suddenly go thru the attachment point. 1) the arm is rotating which absorbs part of the force. 2) there's also a spring to cushion the blow.

In many pics of seriously wrecked cars you see one of the suspension mounting points failing and wheel flopping around so you know it can happen, but it's usually a serious wreck.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
4/5/12 6:22 a.m.

Golly. Too much talk about wrecking your nice new SL-C...... Hey, you don't generate a monocoque car without much FEA. And there's no shortage of ex-OE engineering expertise on hand. The Michigan zip code is no accident.

Also, they have a AWESOME diner, just down the street!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KRTIspWnQW0RAjVan7niaXNkfvpfRDwxH7F6MJ3jcxmPSQSLs3s2kCch0wU0b4gT