1 2
AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 7:43 p.m.

I've been looking for a classic Mini as a 30th birthday present for my wife. There was one locally that we just couldn't meet on and her birthday isn't until May so I didn't press the issue. 

A really ugly one has been listed in Louisville for a while and I finally called the guy today. Turns out he's real cool, is pretty motivated to move it along and it's rough but not terrible. I see there being a pretty good chance we can agree on a price which would leave me with a car in Louisville. In non-COVID times, I'd make up some excuse like such-and-such car friend needs my help this weekend with my truck and trailer and my wife wouldn't think much of it. That won't fly right now for obvious reasons. "You're going where? With who? Why? etc."

I could just throw it on U-ship and grab the lowest bidder but the seller also made it clear that he really doesn't want to deal with shippers and how unorganized/flaky they can be, which I understand. I reached out to a shipper I know and it's out of the way for them but they'd do it for $$. 

I then asked a couple GRM'ers offline for shipper suggestions and it was brought to my attention that maybe the GRM express could get the car either part of all of the way. 

10 hours (round trip from me to the car and back) is doable in a day with a normal vehicle but not with my towing setup. At least not reasonably as it would probably be closer to 16 hours of driving.

So. All that being said and with the disclaimer that this may all be for naught, is anyone coming through the area, or travels through there frequently or any combination of all of the possibilities that may bring this thing close enough that I can even just cut the round trip in half?

Open to ideas.

wae
wae UltraDork
9/23/20 7:57 p.m.

I'm about 100 miles north of SDF and could probably help out in some way, shape, or form

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/23/20 7:58 p.m.

I came in here to say "Pick it up and carry it," but you actually put a lot into that post so I won't be a dick. 

I don't have any real ideas but I wish you luck. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:02 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Much appreciated.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I suppose that is an idea, just would need more GRMers than using trucks and trailers would require.

Bjorn 1349
Bjorn 1349 New Reader
9/23/20 8:04 p.m.

Louisville area? Do you need an eyes on look at the car? Also, where does it need to end up? I'm in possible proximity. Depending on whats up I might be able to be a "shipper" if you wanted to cover a Uhaul pickup/dolly. I like bad idea day trips. 10-16 hours? You must be Cleveland? Toledo? Is this car flatbed material?

I'd hate to offer it but it is a very very slim possibility it could live at my house until you could come get it. I see the potential for this becoming a permanent lawn ornament due to "circumstances." hahahaha

I haven't got a tow vehicle myself or I'd do it just for you covering a trailer rental.

wae
wae UltraDork
9/23/20 8:11 p.m.

I could put it on the trailer or just shove it in the back of the Excursion!  Hell, maybe I could even just tuck it in the trunk of the Miata!

Is this a runner?  I could store it for a little while, but not indoors - Der Scheißewagen is taking up my indoor vehicle storage space so I'd need to just leave it on the trailer which is kept in a secured lot.  I could pick it up at some point to be determined and then maybe meet you in Columbus or something?  Back the trailers to each other and heave-ho?  Ideally it'd all be done between the 27th of this month and the week of the Challenge.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Bjorn 1349 :

Louisville area, yes. Not exactly sure where. Needs to end up in the Cleveland area eventually. I wouldn't want to leave it with anyone that I can't get to within a couple hours because things are so questionable right now like you said.

It's got some fuel delivery issue (big leak) that won't let it run much but it'll run while bottle fed apparently. 

Covering a u-haul/dolly would definitely work. I'd obviously cover your gas, etc.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:23 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I would pay you more than whatever a shipper would charge if you load it in the trunk of a Miata. Yes, that's a direct challenge. 

I really appreciate the storage offer but don't want to take anyone up on that who's not nearby.

Meeting in Cbus would definitely be doable. Disappearing for 4ish hours would be workable!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/23/20 8:25 p.m.

Not much tow vehicle is needed to move a real Mini....

wae
wae UltraDork
9/23/20 8:29 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I assume the Ts&Tcs of that offer require the car to arrive intact?  Might make the Miata truck a little harder.  So the Excursion and the trailer it is.

Let's get this car moved!

Bjorn 1349
Bjorn 1349 New Reader
9/23/20 8:34 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Let me know if you want an in person look at it first. If you're just gonna go for it, is it dolly tow-able? If so I can do Cleveland. 

A quick look on Uhaul says: ~400 Lou to Cleve one way.

8' Pickup and Tow Dolly +800 miles roundtrip est $327

8' pickup and Auto transport "flatbed" +800 miles RT $337

If the rear tires are shot/old I think the flatbed would be safest.

However, I have never had them charge by mileage, just time for same day stuff. If so it looks like less than $100.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:36 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Well, I would prefer it to be in tact, yes, but could I truly be mad if you took the challenge and fit the whole Mini in the trunk? I don't think so.

Let's see if we can close the deal...

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 8:37 p.m.

Is it the Mexican restaurant one?

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Bjorn 1349 :

Thanks for the offer to look at it. May take you up on that.

Also - thanks for looking into the u-haul situation. Not sure if they have a mileage limit on the local rentals or not.

I'm happy to do Wae's way or that way. Whichever.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

I'm thinking I'll call it Queso.

Bjorn 1349
Bjorn 1349 New Reader
9/23/20 8:41 p.m.

Keep me posted.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 8:42 p.m.

If it needs to hide while you fix the fuel issue i'm guessing we can fit it here so you can take a runner home instead of a perceived huge project 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 8:43 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

I'm thinking I'll call it Queso.

Nice, seemed like a decent deal based on what they normally list for, especially if you could make a deal since it was up for a while.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I think I've got a spot for it over the winter but I'm not entirely sure when it'll open up so I may take you up on it short-term. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/23/20 8:51 p.m.

I may be your man, I have a shop 20 miles out of Louisville and visit it monthly, then travel to Seville or Youngstown Oh so if you can make the deal I can probably grab it. I have a truck and could dolly or trailer it. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 8:54 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

GRM is literally the best.

Seville is actually where it'll likely spend the winter... When's the next time you'll be making that trip?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
9/23/20 9:05 p.m.

I've got a suburban and quite a bit of extra time on my hands lately.  No trailer (yet) but I'm sure we can work that out, especially for a mini.  

I'd be more than happy to go grab this for you given the situation, this is exactly the kind of tomfoolery I'd try to pull off behind my wife's back.

Edit: Chandler is awesome yes.  I can lend a hand in any way needed.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/23/20 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

I'm not sure how to handle this embarrassment of GRM riches. Again, GRM is the best.

I can solve the trailer issue, just come on over and get it!

I'm going to talk with the seller tomorrow - then we'll know for sure. 

Thanks everyone!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
9/23/20 9:59 p.m.

As long as the lights on the trailer work! cheeky 

Chandler is likely your best bet if you have the time, but if it needs picked up ASAP let me know.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GiW2nXb1RFV5dYOqHtihVzMX0b5s8ZqY1K8BT4WghkXsyD63a4UvYGBiH3tf02h8