2 3 4
nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
4/23/16 9:29 p.m.

I really don't understand how they can get away with not putting it back together. I know they won't touch the previous damage. But I thought it was their responsibility to put it back to how it was pre accident. Not hand you a torn apart truck and a pile of new parts and get paid for the whole shebang like they did the work.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
4/23/16 10:13 p.m.

The bed fit on it once with the slotted frame attachment points. You pay for insurance to make you whole. That means getting the new/repaired bed&bumper onto the existing frame period. Obviously some shop was able to do it in the 1st place, so this shop should be able to do it, or Gieco should pay for another shop to complete the repair to put it back into the same shape, with the same frame making you whole. Escalate this thru the Geico management as well with the insurance commissioner.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/23/16 10:18 p.m.

They can hand him back the truck. The insurance Co pays for work done to date and would give the cash value of the not completed repairs to him.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/23/16 10:52 p.m.
06HHR wrote: Frankly, I agree with dean1484, if you can get someone to put the truck back together I don't see why you can't just drive it with the frame damage. I mean you were driving it just fine until the accident happened. Dealer is giving you a deal because that's instant sale for him, and he will just wholesale it or salvage it. With you rolling in the negative equity on your old loan into the new note he's making money on the deal anyway, can't fault him for that. If you just have to have another truck then take the deal, what you lose is the cost of doing business in your situation (trading in a wrecked vehicle). Otherwise I think i'd just patch it back together and run it into the ground.

I would do the same here... drive it till the value of the regular undamaged trucks are nil.. and either sell it then or run it into the proverbial ground. It's not worth going deeper into debt for

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/24/16 8:13 a.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I really don't understand how they can get away with not putting it back together. I know they won't touch the previous damage. But I thought it was their responsibility to put it back to how it was pre accident. Not hand you a torn apart truck and a pile of new parts and get paid for the whole shebang like they did the work.

Plaintiff lawyers, that's why. Say the shop puts it back together and hands it to him, he then crashes (whether it's his fault or not) into another car. People in the other car get a lawyer, who finds out that the shop reassembled the truck to road ready condition knowing it had a "dangerous frame condition and shouldn't have been on the road" (in the words of the grandstanding plaintiff lawyer).

You can say that's wrong, etc...all you want, but that's exactly the risk the shop would be taking.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
4/24/16 8:25 a.m.

What a fuster cluck. Can the truck owner just pay for a frame pull at the same shop to get it back to 'safe' condition then let Geico's nickel pay for the rest of repairs and assembly. Or is Geico just washing it's hands of this?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
4/24/16 8:39 a.m.

I think another of my posts for lost.

The dealer where I bought it is buying the truck from me for around 13k. I am eolling about 4k into the new loan.

38k truck with a 42k loan.

I'm just done with this situation.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
4/24/16 8:41 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: What a fuster cluck. Can the truck owner just pay for a frame pull at the same shop to get it back to 'safe' condition then let Geico's nickel pay for the rest of repairs and assembly. Or is Geico just washing it's hands of this?

Geico is not washing their hands. They have been awesome.

The dealer where it is being fixed are being upright about the damage.

They won't release the truck without a signed waiver.

I just don't want to deal with the truck any longer....

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/24/16 8:43 a.m.

The issue is that the shop it is at is saying the frame is tweaked or damaged to the point of needing replacement. I actually can understand this. It is a liability issue on there part. They don't want any part of fixing it. If there was an accident down the road and someone got hurt or killed even if there was no real liability the lawyers would get ahold of it and they would be made part of it. Even if the customer signed off on it releasing them from liability they are considered to be experts and also probably would be the party holding the largest insurance coverage as well as having the largest amount of tangible assets making them the prime target for lawyers.

Sucks but it is the reality of today's litigious society.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/24/16 8:47 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I think another of my posts for lost. The dealer where I bought it is buying the truck from me for around 13k. I am eolling about 4k into the new loan. 38k truck with a 42k loan. I'm just done with this situation.

That is a much better over under than the original numbers posted. Can you get 4k from the insurance for the reassembly costs that they have not done? That way you getting out clean or Dam close to it.

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
4/24/16 9:26 a.m.

Yea 4k for a screwing like this actually isn't that bad. As Dean said I'd try working Geico a little more and the dealer a little more just to see if I could reduce it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/24/16 12:12 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Put this behind you, and enjoy your new truck!

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zm36SQEKhFVfHvEGkPVeRyNoVXj5Xpn5SM3YLcz1tltwzfE4NXW3IlIfVlgXcs4h