1 2
RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
10/5/12 8:08 p.m.

I know NOTHING about old-school bricks so I need a little enlightenment:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3263624578.html

With snow tires, how are the RWD Turbo Bricks in the snow? How easy is it to wrench on one? On the one hand, I'm a little concerned about the performance parts + mileage. On the other hand, Volvo's reliability is legendary and the current owner has lots of service records, so maybe it's all OK...

BTW, how does a 4-speed+O.D. manual transmission work? Serious question, all my manual cars have been conventional 5- or 6-speeds.

corytate
corytate Dork
10/5/12 9:05 p.m.

from what I understand it is a normal 4 speed rwd manual with a direct drive 4th gear, and the electric o/d is something like an additional planetary gear set that, when engaged by the push button, gives you a .8:1 ratio
thats the only pic I can find but it looks like it's some sort of magical box on the tail end of the trans that uses witchcraft and a sliding cone to lock in an overdrive ratio?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork

The performance parts seem limited to suspension, so there isn't really much to worry about. They are just as tough (some would say more so) than the later 700/900 series, if a bit less refined. They are about as dirt simple as a turbo car can get. It is a Volvo, come on, it will be fine with snow tires. It was made in Sweden, after all.

The 4-speed+OD on my buddy's old 244 turbo sedan was just a 4-speed with a thumb switch on the shifter for overdrive, much like an MG or Triumph.

Not only is that really rare but it seems like the guy knows what he is talkng about. If that was on my CL I would already have bought it, if that says anything...

corytate
corytate Dork

also, that car is awesome.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/5/12 9:12 p.m.

neat old sample... has a CIS (mechanical) fuel injection system...

no idea in the snow... but in my experience mechanicaly they are simple to work on, they can be a bit annoying on the electric side if there are issues... but that can be said of most European cars

my 945ti has over 250k on it... had to change the HG because I had a misshap with to much boost, also need a new trans as it's slipping... it was a used junkyard unit that worked well untill I got greedy with the boost (see a pattern here?) i've got a spare that is modified to shift a little more solidly that should help things out even at the high boost levels...

that being said the 4 electric OD is a weird one... it's basicly a 4speed gear box that they bolted an OD unit onto to help with fuel millage... there is a button on the shift knob, when you are in 4th and want to shift to OD you push the clutch then hit the OD button then release the clutch... in theory you could make it into a 8 speed trans... but the OD clutch isn't up to the task and would quickly die.

unfortuantly they aren't known to shift real well and don't hold up to lots of power or abuse...

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
10/5/12 9:16 p.m.

Do you own it yet? that's awesome.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/5/12 9:28 p.m.

The straight dope about 245 Turbo wagon is that the 245 Turbo wagon is STRAIGHT DOPE!!!

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/5/12 9:33 p.m.

as to snow in a 245 wagon.....this is all you need to watch (turn volume off though..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtdXHtBHWYo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUfIT1HN5z0&feature=related

the 1:30 mark is win.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
10/5/12 10:48 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: They are just as tough (some would say more so) than the later 700/900 series, if a bit less refined.

When you get a 240 after having a 700/900 you realize you didnt know what tough was.

The less refined comment it spot on.

That trans sucks for much more then daily driving. T5 swaps are supposed to be easy (still waiting to do mine...)

Get it. You will dig it.

Edit- It will probably need motor mounts. Unless they were done recently, check the passenger side engine and look at the oil filter. That car-side motor mount may be resting on the oil filter, using the filter to hold up the car, Like mine was. When the filter rips off, This is about the only thing that kills these cars...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
10/5/12 11:45 p.m.

i just never understood the fascination with these cars... can someone enlighten me?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/5/12 11:58 p.m.

Style, quirkiness, Swedishness, boxiness....IDK. I've always thought the 240-series turbo wagons were just cool. My parents had a '79 baseline wagon with a 4-banger, and the next-door neighbor had a 240 Turbo with mag wheels and a cool metallic blue color and I grew up drooling over that car.

looked just like this:

Plus it said "INTERCOOLER" on the back I think. And that was before I even knew what an intercooler was (I was like 10 years old) but damn it sounded cool.

But who knows. I personally have never understood the fascination with rotary engines nor ever even remotely desired to own one. No particular reason (I love the look of RX-7s and know about the advantages of rotaries). Just one of those things. Like liking volvo wagons...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/6/12 2:04 a.m.

first they are wagons... you can fit HUGE amounts of crap in the back...

second... BOOST... stock they are a bit slow... but as with most turbo engines they wake up quickly with a little work...

this one I believe has the b21 or b23 which is even stronger then then the ones found in the 700/900 and later 200s... that says a lot considering the later "weaker" ones are still not hard to get to 300k (if I can keep myself from selling mine for something else It would be easy for me to hit the 300k club)...

oh and they have the super tight turning radius... 32.20 ft... that is within a foot of my old mkI mr2... it's the same as a freaking '91 civic... while that might sound like a silly thing once you have a big roomy vehicle that can do that then you get into something smaller that can't do near the turning radius every time you're in a parking lot you recall that you miss the volvo...

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
10/6/12 5:27 a.m.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING goes through snow better than a RWD Volvo with snows, and the heater is absolutely fantastic.

Donalson is right about the turning radius. The first time you turn at full lock you will be shocked. Every parking lot reminds me of how great it was.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
10/6/12 10:34 a.m.

In my humble estimation...

Along with the W123-chassis Mercedes-Benz cars, the Volvo 240 series is SIMPLY THE BEST CAR EVER MADE.

Simple. Durable beyond any reasonable expectation. Solid. Over-built. With turbo, reasonably quick.

Handles better than any car that can haul your new fridge home has any right to. Yet still a comfy commuter or highway cruiser.

Slap on some Gislaved or Nokian snows and you will swear you are in a 4WD SUV, as far as snow goes. The tires and the car are from Scandinavia, where they know a thing or two about snow.

Simply the best seats for daily use ever made. Period.

Can you tell I'm a fan? I've owned over 40 Volvo 240s and used to make a side business out of parting them.

BUY IT.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/6/12 10:53 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Donalson is right about the turning radius. The first time you turn at full lock you will be shocked. Every parking lot reminds me of how great it was.

you also realize that you are NOT in your volvo once you get to a parking lot in something not a volvo... when you get used to pulling into the angled parking spots that are angled the other direction (those 2 direction 2 angled rows) and then try and do it in something without that turn radius it just sucks and you miss the volvo... every time I drive my in-laws car and go park I hate it lol...

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
10/6/12 5:26 p.m.

Not sure this is going to happen. Mass. requires any car from 1980 or earlier to have a title in order to be registered here. The 1983 Volvo is in Rhode Island, and the seller says the title is missing. He's trying to find it. If he doesn't have it (or I can't find some other way to get the Volvo registered here), the 245 is off the table. As it stands I'm not driving 2+ hours to look at a car I can't even register. BTDT.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/6/12 9:08 p.m.

if he can't find it... he can probably apply for a lost title.. just may take a little time

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
10/8/12 12:16 p.m.

What year did they upgrade the under hood wiring harness on these? Either way, I would buy this if possible.

Good find.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
10/8/12 12:18 p.m.

In reply to corytate:

Witchcraft? So do I have to activate it for him?

Also, I'm after any Volvo wagon with expectations of swapping a 302 in.

car39
car39 HalfDork
10/8/12 12:22 p.m.

The 240's were light years better in the snow than the 7 and 9 series cars. The turbos may also have a limited slip diff, it was an option. Get the narrowest wheels for the snow tires, early 140 & 240 had a 4.5 or 5 inch rim. It makes the snow tire cut thru the snow, rather than ride on top of it. Red motors are legendary for 300+ miles with no significant wear.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
10/8/12 12:25 p.m.

Is it just the examples I've driven, or is the 2 series way more soft/squidgy/vague in terms of driving dynamics than the 7/9?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
10/8/12 6:37 p.m.

The owner sent me some more pictures of the rust spots. There is some rusting on the rear wheel flares, on the lower back part of the right fender, and a small spot on the rearmost left window frame (I'd upload but work blocked Photobucket, Imgur, et. al. ). One of the doors is also bubbling at the corner but that and the hood can be replaced with repainted junkyard parts. The body rust is not a concern for winter beater duty (aside from the hole in the hood, that's the only part that might not pass Mass. safety inspection), but something to consider for any restoration.

I found out I can register the Volvo here with a notarized bill of sale and a copy of the current registration.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
10/8/12 7:07 p.m.
ransom wrote: Is it just the examples I've driven, or is the 2 series *way* more soft/squidgy/vague in terms of driving dynamics than the 7/9?

Properly set up, I actually think they're better. Most of them are running around on completely shot bushings at this point, which probably has something to do with that.

corytate
corytate Dork
10/8/12 7:59 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to corytate: Witchcraft? So do I have to activate it for him? Also, I'm after any Volvo wagon with expectations of swapping a 302 in.

precisely, and precisely.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
10/8/12 11:37 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
ransom wrote: Is it just the examples I've driven, or is the 2 series *way* more soft/squidgy/vague in terms of driving dynamics than the 7/9?
Properly set up, I actually think they're better. Most of them are running around on completely shot bushings at this point, which probably has something to do with that.

+1. The bushings on these cars are larger then what you'll see on modern stuff. This means when they do go, they have more room for squidge.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EQXWKNWdfRZcCRVb6fYm7iyoOb0U3TmwA2jMpuvTTrnTEmmR6UeQXVTPc0mAvVa0